2016 motivation for getting lighter and faster

You can do it Myles !! 

But remember the good vs bad calories, pizza ain't no good. 

I've limited my daily intake to about 1200 and it helped my get down another 1.3 this week and now at 90.5. 

yeah, I know it ain't good. But it was in the fridge from last night (wife went to colcaccio for lunch, so leftovers) and it's now gone from the house. 

Tomorrow morning is my long ride. 

Is it strange that I look forward to being a semi-bachelor? :)

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I know it ain't good. But it was in the fridge from last night (wife went to colcaccio for lunch, so leftovers) and it's now gone from the house.

Tomorrow morning is my long ride.

Is it strange that I look forward to being a semi-bachelor? :)

Not strange at all... my diet and training worked best when I lived on my own. I kept no junk at all in the cupboards and prepared all meals myself ..., obviously!

Some of the things i am doing as i continue with this challenging journey...

Cut back to 1 sugar and will go to no sugar and milk as i progress...

No coke or any fizzy drinks...still battling to drink enough water...pee is pale but nor clear...

No bread...

A big one is if i do cheat and have a piece of chocolate...i break off 1 or 2 pieces...put the rest in the fridge and walk away...never start snacking on anything especially stuff like a big packet of chips...chances are you gona eat the whole packet...so i will take out a hand fill and put into a bowl fold the packet and put it away ...i know i shouldnt be eating any junk...but i apply this to all food i eat now

I am starting to physically see the result...even though the scale seems to be moving only slightly.

This challenge is real...not only for us fatties but people who can see the belt moving one hole at a time...dont let it get the better of you.

tried something new yesterday...i drank 2 x 500 ml of water when i woke up...then a cup of coffee...bad idea...had to pee like 5 times before and then again 20 km into the race...i had a good pace going my poor heart was bouncing around in the 170 bpm range and going to a max of 187 bpm...having it on display maybe not a good idea...i will hide it a page or past the main screen ;) looking at it on a big screen this morning it doesnt look that bad...it looks a lot worse on the little phone screen.

cebdb7fc0474ec547702304e42e7fe30.png

with the new 520 fitted (but not setup properly yet) i had speed...heart rate...cadence and distance on the main screen.

tried just turning over the pedals on the down hills to get the heart rate down...sort of worked.

made a point of trying to keep the cadence around 80...managed an avg of 76 overall.

broke 1 spoke at 40 km...so i pulled the brake clip up to open the brakes...then it sounded like another one a little further into the race...i just put my head down and kept at it...it is quite a challenge fighting the rubbing brake pads for 30 + km.

361d6a1a5794d7c5e8d6a15b7faebad7.jpg
bonus with the 520 is i can connect the Di2 and view the gears and battery when riding the rattlin red rocket (merida)...using D fly...anyone have one of these devices lying around?

Edited by isetech

tried something new yesterday...i drank 2 x 500 ml of water when i woke up...then a cup of coffee...bad idea...had to pee like 5 times before and then again 20 km into the race...i had a good pace going my poor heart was bouncing around in the 180 bpm range...having it on display maybe not a good idea...i will hide it a page or past the main screen ;)

cebdb7fc0474ec547702304e42e7fe30.png

with the new 520 fitted (but not setup properly yet) i had speed...heart rate...cadence and distance on the main screen.

tried just turning over the pedals on the down hills to get the heart rate down...sort of worked.

made a point of trying to keep the cadence around 80...managed an avg of 76 overall.

broke 1 spoke at 40 km...so i pulled the brake clip up to open the brakes...then it sounded like another one a little further into the race...i just put my head down and kept at it...it is quite a challenge fighting the rubbing brake pads for 30 + km.

361d6a1a5794d7c5e8d6a15b7faebad7.jpg

bonus with the 520 is i can connect the Di2 and view the gears and battery when riding the rattlin red rocket (merida)...using D fly...anyone have one of these devices lying around?

Have you determined your max HR from a test, or from previous rides, at all? It can be interesting to compare your average bpm with your physiological max. In the absence of the latter, your data looks like an average pulse of over 90% of (indicated) max. To me, that sounds pretty full gas?

but, bacon... 

But, burgers... 

OK1u0FOl.jpg

I had a burger last night which looked very similar to this...just replaced the bun with big mushrooms and replaced the chips with baked sweet potatoe chips...it has become my go to treat when i spoil myself.

Have you determined your max HR from a test, or from previous rides, at all? It can be interesting to compare your average bpm with your physiological max. In the absence of the latter, your data looks like an average pulse of over 90% of (indicated) max. To me, that sounds pretty full gas?

i have all my cadence class stats which i plan on using as a comparison to "out rides and opposed to an indoor trainer...i will post some HR results from the cadence classes.

i opened a spread sheet with all the data from the day i started the cadence block until i finished it...the only thing that seemed to improve was my HR.

It is time to stop playing with the treks back wheel...it is a 32 spoke wheel...should be strong enough to carry my weight...however i believe the problem is the wheel is really old (2002 model) and the spokes are fatigued which is resulting in them snapping off on the hub especially being put under extreme pressure carrying my fat ass...i have replaced 6 spokes so far and none of the new spokes have broken only the old ones.

It is time to stop playing with the treks back wheel...it is a 32 spoke wheel...should be strong enough to carry my weight...however i believe the problem is the wheel is really old (2002 model) and the spokes are fatigued which is resulting in them snapping off on the hub especially being put under extreme pressure carrying my fat ass...i have replaced 6 spokes so far and none of the new spokes have broken only the old ones.

Ja if one goes, rule of thumb is to always respoke the whole wheel.

EDIT:

Esp. where we live (salty coast). Corrosion is always an issue. 

And get your wheel builder to respoke with brass nipples.

Edited by tombeej

give it a full rebuild with new spokes. 

Ja if one goes, rule of thumb is to always respoke the whole wheel.

EDIT:

Esp. where we live (salty coast). Corrosion is always an issue. 

And get your wheel builder to respoke with brass nipples.

True dat!

Isetech - have you ever dropped your chain between the cassette and the spokes? Often that's where you nick the spokes, which causes stress concentrations, and then ultimately failure.

Post edited: Comment on spokes removed to bring it back to the subject of the thread.

Edited by tombeej

Wheel is in for a total rebuild...it is a 32 spoke wheel...checked the rim for cracks...seems ok...but found another broken spoke...the new spokes are thicker and have brass nipples.

Edited by isetech

Just totted up yesterday's food consumption. 

Including 3 glasses of wine (it was one of those days) a cheese & tomato roll and a double boerie roll, it was 1,760kCal. 

Not bad for a "cheat" day. 

Today's so far - 1/4 avo on multigrain seed bread and a coffee, with another 1/4 avo & an orange for lunch, with another coffee. 

Total so far is 560kCal. With the commute home still to come, and then dinner being around 600 or so calories, it's going to be a good day. 

One day at a time. Started the week this morning on 108.5kg. Let's see what this week brings.