[Event] Karoo To Coast

News bot

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, I don't think so. Most people cycle for the fun of it. Honestly I don't even know the name of a single pro. They should get real jobs like the rest of us and cycle for the fun. I'll gladly pay R800 to ride K2C. 

Pro's Shmo's

I agree with you. The riders I look up to is the average joe`s with jobs that compete with elite cyclist every weekend and then there is only a few minutes between them. I think the standard of " fun riders" at the sharp end is very high.

This was #6 of 10 - best K2C ever! The rain made for excellent roads, solid and a bit wet closer to Knysna.

We were running late so I dropped back from A to B for the start. This led to me racing to pass as many people possible to avoid a slow Ou wapad. That in turn unleashed the little bit of racing I had in me and soon I was chashing a sub 4.

Alas it was not meant to be so 4:05 it is. Maybe next year in A it will happen. Tekkies on my Saint flat pedals worked like a charm and the Chaoyang tyres at 2.5 bars gave me fast climbs and slightly slower downhill corners.

Bring on #7 in 2017

I was trading places with you for a while, riding my CX bike thinking i was clever until i saw your tekkies and flat pedals. You take the cake for taking up a challenge bru!

I was trading places with you for a while, riding my CX bike thinking i was clever until i saw your tekkies and flat pedals. You take the cake for taking up a challenge bru!

Your ride looked real sweet! I meant it when I said it was an inspiration to see that on K2C.

After the pakslae I got last weekend on the Cederberg 100 miler with those tekkies I was very close to dust off my SPDs and put them on the bike. However I can confidently say the Shimano Saints are worth their R1k price tag. Best flat pedals ever and those screw studs work like a dream on my running shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus). Obviously you can pull but you do have plenty of fore/aft power on them.

So who is doing what ride next?

I'm going from the ride furthest from my home (505 km) to one right next door to my house (4 km) - The Spur Classic at Nooitgedacht this Sunday.

Julle moet daai e-bike try. Dit sal n groot smile op julle bakkies sit. Was gelukkig om een te try in die pad af n rukkie gelede net vir die fun of it. Ek stem saam dat so n bike nie met ander kan kompeteer in n resies nie.

Your ride looked real sweet! I meant it when I said it was an inspiration to see that on K2C.

Maybe a 5kay somewhere in November

After the pakslae I got last weekend on the Cederberg 100 miler with those tekkies I was very close to dust off my SPDs and put them on the bike. However I can confidently say the Shimano Saints are worth their R1k price tag. Best flat pedals ever and those screw studs work like a dream on my running shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus). Obviously you can pull but you do have plenty of fore/aft power on them.

So who is doing what ride next?

I'm going from the ride furthest from my home (505 km) to one right next door to my house (4 km) - The Spur Classic at Nooitgedacht this Sunday.

Just one thing about sub 4, you'll need to start in the front part of A. As hard as I pushed it is just out of reach from the back of B.

I punctured coming down "die ou wa pad". When I stopped I realised I managed to forget my plugs, what a muppet! Stood standing there looking stupid until another rider also stopped because he cut his sidewall. Thanks Ross for the plug, I owe you big time!

This took more than 30mins until I got going again. The rest of the A group, the B group, most of C came past in that time. I'm not allowed to push hard when riding at the moment and I managed to finish with a riding time of 3:50'ish. So a sub4 is definitely possible, from C group at least.

The biggest problem is definitely traffic. People can't ride the downhills, frustrating as hell. And what the heck is up with everyone walking under the bridge?!?

Anyways, all in all it was a good day out on the bike.

I managed a sub 5 out of F group, Ja I know that is not up there with the pros but I was trying to save myself for a longer ride, but will never ride again if seeded there. What is with all the walking?

Die Wapad is graded and is as smooth as a baby's bottom, yet people are walking from before it starts. Then if you are going to walk then at least leave a path open for those that want to ride.

Going down the Wapad is now a disaster as it too is graded and smooth, now people ride 2 up talking to each other. Now there is no where to pass. At least when it was slightly gnarly no one rode the b line and you could pass.

Other than that the conditions were perfect.

I punctured coming down "die ou wa pad". When I stopped I realised I managed to forget my plugs, what a muppet! Stood standing there looking stupid until another rider also stopped because he cut his sidewall. Thanks Ross for the plug, I owe you big time!

This took more than 30mins until I got going again. The rest of the A group, the B group, most of C came past in that time. I'm not allowed to push hard when riding at the moment and I managed to finish with a riding time of 3:50'ish. So a sub4 is definitely possible, from C group at least.

The biggest problem is definitely traffic. People can't ride the downhills, frustrating as hell. And what the heck is up with everyone walking under the bridge?!?

Anyways, all in all it was a good day out on the bike.

I managed a sub 5 out of F group, Ja I know that is not up there with the pros but I was trying to save myself for a longer ride, but will never ride again if seeded there. What is with all the walking?

Die Wapad is graded and is as smooth as a baby's bottom, yet people are walking from before it starts. Then if you are going to walk then at least leave a path open for those that want to ride.

Going down the Wapad is now a disaster as it too is graded and smooth, now people ride 2 up talking to each other. Now there is no where to pass. At least when it was slightly gnarly no one rode the b line and you could pass.

Other than that the conditions were perfect.

Too many people that are "cycling fit" and now all of a sudden wants to do mountain bike races. Yes its a dirt roadie event without major obstacles but yes basic gravel riding skills are non existent.

I saw two girls WALK DOWN the other side of ou wapad. I also walked up ou wapad and its not because i couldn't ride it its because there are too many people that get a better seeding doing road events and then end up in front of me and dont know how to keep traction on a rocky ascent. And i will not be that dick (sorry dick) that comes from behind shouting keep left keep left like a poephol.

As for the under the bridge walking, its purely because there are too many people at once and again you get the dicks that come from behind and pushes past the queue and try and get out faster, if everyone kept there place in the queue and their line it wouldve been a whole different story.

Quite early on ou wapad, we were still cycling not walking, some dick (again sorry dick) come past me on the left (I keep left as i am not the fastest rider) and i was as far left as i can be to give other guys on the right room and he just pushed his wheel in front of me and shouldered me out of the way, i told him that if he is going to make me fall because he is a douche he will be the one bleeding, groot meneer, slowed down in front of me and turned around to say something and realized i was 3 times his size and he just turned back and kept on riding.

Poeple (poepholle) like this must learn to ride harder through the year to get better seeding and dont come try and push their way to the front through the funriders.

Daai pad was erg sleg op plekke. Moet dalk 'n DS kry. 

Waar was die pad sleg? It was probably the most manicured it has ever been. You don't even need an MTB any more for this ride. No wonder it is a road seeding event.

anyway it is Friday so....

Waar was die pad sleg? It was probably the most manicured it has ever been. You don't even need an MTB any more for this ride. No wonder it is a road seeding event.

anyway it is Friday so....

Well, there was someone that did it on a road bike.

How long does it take to reflect on PPA site.

They did a seeding run yesterday. The beta is 1.06. I thought (hoped) it would be higher. My seeding index is better, but not enough to move me up to the next group.

Well, there was someone that did it on a road bike.

With a carrier on the back as well. Goes to show you.

Also how did they do the seeding? I know I am dat and slow so starting on F was expected, but damn me passing A and B guys after about 15 km how does that work?

Archived