Rapidé R25 29er Rims/wheelset - Advice

Chip

Hi,

I want to upgrade the wheels on my Giant Anthem X29er, I currently have a 20mm thru-axle fork and QR on the rear. I'm running a mis-match of rims/hubs (Front Wheeltech hub with D485 rim and rear American Classic hub and rim). I would like to go to a wider rim.

I was thinking of building a wheelset with Hope Pro 2 hubs and Rapidé R25 29er rims (http://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-r25-29er-rim/), on a tightish budget, but want the best hubs that can be converted to various axle sizes. Any feedback on these rims/setup would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No experience with either, but some points:

Are you sure it's not a 15mm TA on the front? Or did you change your fork?

You can get a set of Hope/Stans from CWC for about R5500 at the moment, so good to have a look at that - its a very popular setup.

Hi,

I want to upgrade the wheels on my Giant Anthem X29er, I currently have a 20mm thru-axle fork and QR on the rear. I'm running a mis-match of rims/hubs (Front Wheeltech hub with D485 rim and rear American Classic hub and rim). I would like to go to a wider rim.

I was thinking of building a wheelset with Hope Pro 2 hubs and Rapidé R25 29er rims (http://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-r25-29er-rim/), on a tightish budget, but want the best hubs that can be converted to various axle sizes. Any feedback on these rims/setup would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chip, I am receiving my Rapide wheels tomorrow, cant wait. I used my own hubs but looking at their own hubs they are really top quality and the bearings are easily serviceable too.

They supplied the spokes and nipples, brass, and have all the correct wheel building kit so should be a good build. Wayne is a nice guy, give him a call and chat.

I can give you some feedback once I have ridden them. Going from QR rear to TA and then the wider rim so should be a worlds difference.

Having held and seen the rims, saw a 29er wheelset on the table, they look like really good quality and you really cannot beat the price!!!

Are you sure it's not a 15mm TA on the front? Or did you change your fork?

I have changed the fork, got a bargain on a RS Reba RLT Ti 120mm, but it has a 20mm maxle.

Chip, I am receiving my Rapide wheels tomorrow, cant wait. I used my own hubs but looking at their own hubs they are really top quality and the bearings are easily serviceable too.

They supplied the spokes and nipples, brass, and have all the correct wheel building kit so should be a good build. Wayne is a nice guy, give him a call and chat.

I can give you some feedback once I have ridden them. Going from QR rear to TA and then the wider rim so should be a worlds difference.

Having held and seen the rims, saw a 29er wheelset on the table, they look like really good quality and you really cannot beat the price!!!

Great, looking forward to your feedback. Who built the wheels for you?

Wouldn't mind a set of the Rapidé hubs, but I don't think they to a 20mm front axle conversion.

Great, looking forward to your feedback. Who built the wheels for you?

Wouldn't mind a set of the Rapidé hubs, but I don't think they to a 20mm front axle conversion.

Wayne is building them for me, Rapide offers the wheel building option.

I had a SLX front hub, 15mmTA, and a Supertar Evo rear hub, 12mm TA. Bought the Thru axle drop out kit for my Trance.

With me supplying the hub and valves I paid R1890 for the rims, spokes, nipples and build. They also tape the rim up to make it tubeless.

BARGAIN!!!

I had some 650B rims built by Wayne onto my own hubs, he did all the rest including new nipples and spokes, have not looked back.

I had some 650B rims built by Wayne onto my own hubs, he did all the rest including new nipples and spokes, have not looked back.

His R25 rims?

Give us a review please. Bit late for me but there aren't many reviews out thereon these rims.

Hi Chip

Wayne (Rapidé) built a set of wheels for me (Hope Hubs / Stans Flow rims that I supplied) onto his spokes and nipples. I would have bought his hubs if I did not have a spare set of Hopes.

AN EXCELLENT BUILD. Straight and true after 12 months on banging around.

All the bits and pieces that I have ever bought from him are of very good quality.

I would not hesitate to recommend Rapidé

Good luck with your new wheels

His R25 rims?

Give us a review please. Bit late for me but there aren't many reviews out thereon these rims.

R21 650B, not sure what the R21 means vs R25 but awesome wheels, I will mostly likely have him build some 29" wheels for my other bike when i can either afford hubs or find a decent deal in the classifieds someday.

Edit - R21 must equal the internal Dia - 21mm

R21 650B, not sure what the R21 means vs R25 but awesome wheels, I will mostly likely have him build some 29" wheels for my other bike when i can either afford hubs or find a decent deal in the classifieds someday.

Edit - R21 must equal the internal Dia - 21mm

Most likely but he also refers to the R25 as a TR27 sometimes yet it still has a 25mm internal width....

Chip, I have a set of Rapidé TR29 TrailRacer wheels (Rapidé R25 rims - 25mm internal / 30mm external) on Rapidé Ultralight PRO hubs (these come complete with quick release and thru-axel adapters).

I've done approximately 500 kilometers so far, and all I can say is that I am extremely pleased. I'm a heavy chap (110kg before breakfast), and so far this wheel set has been rock solid.

I was going to go the Hope route, but the Rapidé hubs are also sealed bearing, they sound great (not that it matters), and with the price you can't go wrong. Lastly, the service from Wayne is top notch.

• 10 months later...

Hubbers, I am also now considering a set of these rims for a wheel rebuild...any new opinions and/or feelings? Everyone still so impressed?

Hubbers, I am also now considering a set of these rims for a wheel rebuild...any new opinions and/or feelings? Everyone still so impressed?

I have the Rapide R29 wheelset and so far so good.

Archived