KCNC Shifter Adapters

GerrieTruter

Is there anyone here that has successfully mounted an I Spec A Shimano shifter with the KCNC shifter adapters? I have bought everything that I can think neccesary but can't seem to figure out how everything goes together.

The shifter looks like this:

post-44502-0-35412500-1453733095_thumb.jpg

The KCNC Shifter adapter looks like this:

post-44502-0-87011800-1453733106_thumb.jpg

And the Shimano bolts look like this:

post-44502-0-36673900-1453733115_thumb.jpg

Please, any pointers or pictures that can help me out would really be appreciated. Have I bought the incorrect bolts or am I missing something? I always thought I wasn't too bad when it came to technical stuff but this has got me second guessing myself.

I'm currently running a guetto mounting system but it isn't the most stable so wanted to do a proper job with the correct items.

you got the wrong bolts there for the wrong shifter.

Your shifter is I spec A if like picture.

Your bolts are I spec B bolts if you have all those...

the adapter you got there is I spec A...

Wrong bolts.

Is there anyone here that has successfully mounted an I Spec A Shimano shifter with the KCNC shifter adapters? I have bought everything that I can think neccesary but can't seem to figure out how everything goes together.

The shifter looks like this:

attachicon.gifshimano-xtr-m980-i-spec-attachment-mount-for-m985-m988-brake-levers.jpg

The KCNC Shifter adapter looks like this:

attachicon.gifKCNC_XTRShifterClamp_parent_300x300_1.jpg

And the Shimano bolts look like this:

attachicon.gif117978_688920.jpg

Please, any pointers or pictures that can help me out would really be appreciated. Have I bought the incorrect bolts or am I missing something? I always thought I wasn't too bad when it came to technical stuff but this has got me second guessing myself.

I'm currently running a guetto mounting system but it isn't the most stable so wanted to do a proper job with the correct items.

i-spec A shifters need i-spec A brake levers ( or an i-spec A adapter clamp).

If your shifters have the metal hook above the bolt hole on the mount then they are i-spec A.

I-spec B shifters would be compatible with either A or B levers (or separate adapter clamps made for A or B or both).

i-spec B shifters dont have the hook and they come with hardware for fitting both types of lever. Found a source that says the kcnc adapters are not i-spec B compatible.....

Your KCNC clamps look to be i-spec A compatible. Your shifters appear to be i-spec A....but then you should not have the i-spec B boltset with all 4 parts as pictured....so check. If all your parts are exactly as pictured it should fit.

Using only the shiny bolt parts in your kit....

1) fit the hollow internally threaded tube through the adapter clamp from inside so that it protrudes through. The square edges at the end of the tube should seat on the rails inside the milled slot on the adapter clamp.

2) holding the clamp right way up (clamp bolt down and facing rear) fit it temporarily to the bars.

3) fit the shifter with hook upper most and facing back of bike over the protruding end of the now captured threaded tube. Wiggle till it fits flat against the adapter. Now insert the shiny allen bolt from the front of the shiter to the threaded tube...

4) adjust for reach and angle then tighten the whole lot up

5) discard or store the black pin and barrel as you please.

If you get really stuck I have a set of covers with standard shifter clamps after converting my shifters to i-spec.

i-spec A shifters need i-spec A brake levers ( or an i-spec A adapter clamp).

If your shifters have the metal hook above the bolt hole on the mount then they are i-spec A.

I-spec B shifters would be compatible with either A or B levers (or separate adapter clamps made for A or B or both).

i-spec B shifters dont have the hook and they come with hardware for fitting both types of lever. Found a source that says the kcnc adapters are not i-spec B compatible.....

Your KCNC clamps look to be i-spec A compatible. Your shifters appear to be i-spec A....but then you should not have the i-spec B boltset with all 4 parts as pictured....so check. If all your parts are exactly as pictured it should fit.

Using only the shiny bolt parts in your kit....

1) fit the hollow internally threaded tube through the adapter clamp from inside so that it protrudes through. The square edges at the end of the tube should seat on the rails inside the milled slot on the adapter clamp.

2) holding the clamp right way up (clamp bolt down and facing rear) fit it temporarily to the bars.

3) fit the shifter with hook upper most and facing back of bike over the protruding end of the now captured threaded tube. Wiggle till it fits flat against the adapter. Now insert the shiny allen bolt from the front of the shiter to the threaded tube...

4) adjust for reach and angle then tighten the whole lot up

5) discard or store the black pin and barrel as you please.

If you get really stuck I have a set of covers with standard shifter clamps after converting my shifters to i-spec.

Thanks JXV

I have come to the conclusion that I bought the wrong bolts. s14phoenix is kind enough to see if he has spares to help me out. If not, I might just need to rethink my ghetto connection and have a sturdier one installed.

I paid R400 for the adapters and R220 for the bolts. The bikeshops had to order the items for me.

take it to the LBS to fit them?

take it to the LBS to fit them?

Being in Mokopane I don't think there is one... I spent some time there on the mine and carted my spare bike for during the week as I stayed Mon-Fri. There is no bike shop within like 100km...

Being in Mokopane I don't think there is one... I spent some time there on the mine and carted my spare bike for during the week as I stayed Mon-Fri. There is no bike shop within like 100km...

Thats the problem most of the time. I have to have items shipped to me or wait till I get to the big city or someone from the city comes to visit me.

Polokwane is about 60km away from me and has 2 cycle shops, The Bicycle Company and Saloojies. But, I don't go there often aswell.

Thanks for all the info guys but s14phoenix has helped me out with the correct bolts. Will fit everything when I receive it in the post.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect the tread.

I am in the same pinch. Got the adapters, but the sales person at the LBS did not know what I was looking for. Got an adapter KCNC, but the iSpec B screw did not fit with the adapter and could not use the adapter. There was no way the iSpec B screw could fit the bracket.

In my case I have an iSpec B shifter. Can’t seem to find iSpec B brakes anywhere and finding the correct adapter is starting to look impossible

Archived