Elbow pain after MTB rides

BDF

Perhaps someone can help with this.

In December I started Mountain Biking. (I have been a roadie for ages so not new to cycling.) After a few rides and indeed up to today I had pain in my elbows. The pain almost feels like bruising but I don't see how it could be. The picture shows where the pain is - on that bony piece on the inside of the elbow.

Is there something I need to change to fix this or is it just a matter of conditioning or what?

post-43948-0-72771900-1453803350_thumb.jpg

It sounds like Elbow Tendonitis (tennis elbow). Its fairly common with mountain bikers.

How to deal with it:

1. Go for a bike setup (you may be locking your elbows while riding, meaning you are probably over-extending).

2. Go to a physio for treatment and rehab drills

3. Do your rehab drills.

What he said...

sounds like a fit issue. Sounds like you are reaching and leaning on the bars with too much weight at perhaps a too long reach.

Best advise is to do a bike fit.

too many variables. I get sore stiff elbows on the roadbike due to too much weight on my hands and a fairly static position of the elbows. on MTB your elbows should be moving to absorb some of the hits etc so they should be flexing a bit.

I think it is more a golfers elbow. The tennis elbow is on the outside. I am also struggling with that. The exercise i do is to take a round piece of pipe 50mm in diameter and about 40cm long, attach a string to it in the middle with a weight (2 l water bottle half with water or full if you are strong?). Stand with your arms stretch out in front of you and whined  the bottle up AND down.  Do it a couple of times.........Don't let it run down.

I don't play golf? But if doing what you say helps, I will try it out along with the S14Phoenix exercises.

I think it is more a golfers elbow. The tennis elbow is on the outside. I am also struggling with that. The exercise i do is to take a round piece of pipe 50mm in diameter and about 40cm long, attach a string to it in the middle with a weight (2 l water bottle half with water or full if you are strong?). Stand with your arms stretch out in front of you and whined  the bottle up AND down.  Do it a couple of times.........Don't let it run down.

Agree - Tennis Elbow is on the outside

What does it mean if the pain is on the outside of the arm, specifically just above the "funny bone"? I sometimes get that, almost feel like I need to snap my elbow back into place?

I think a bike fit is in order for me.

When I did my road fit it made a huge difference to the dead hand. Probably good to get it done.

Archived