Race Fail: Ashburton Meerendal 2016

Rock Guy

Warning, serious rant below.

This race was for sure the worst one I’ve done to date. There are a number of reasons, but let’s list a few of them here. Some of these issues may not be universally applicable but I still feel they played a role in the overall poor experience had by myself and many other participants. Note that I also did this event last year, and I loved it

1.       Registration: I didn’t go to the registration myself this year, but my buddy who offered to stand in line for a group of us had a miserable time. Took him over an hour. From what I gather the tablet system was to blame. I guess that actually boils down to either using an untested system or poor planning and execution.

2.       Loading of riders into start chutes: I started in B batch for the Marathon. I was there on time, but still didn’t manage to get in the chute before the gun went off. I estimate that a third of the batch was still trying to get in by the time the gun went off. Again, the tablets and scanners are to blame. There were only two guys loading us all in. When I did manage to get in the people were already putting up the tape for C batch. Surely management should have recognized the issue and delayed the start.

3.       Water points: Three. I don’t need to say more, but I will. This was simply not enough for this race. And then when you got to them they had nothing. “Uh sorry, our water is done”.

4.       Route: Hands down the most boring route I have ever done. Last year the route was awesome, in fact it was the reason I joined Tygerberg MTB club. This year it was the Tour de Sand. If I say there was 3km of singletrack I’m probably exaggerating. After 30km I was totally over it.

5.       Post race area: It looked like the Ashburton clients had a brilliant time. If you were however, like me, not one of their clients you really didn’t have much choice. If you were very determined you would have found the small little table that sold some beer off to the one side. Thanks for alienating your potential cleints Ashburton. I don’t think I want to be one of your clients after that display.

6.       Results: uuh...All I get is an Error 404 page.

It was not all bad though, the Biogen cooldrinks were actually quite nice, and I dig the free socks. The negatives unfortunately far outweighed the positives and I will not be doing any more races in the Ashburton series, ever.

Wish I rather went for a ride with my buddies in Jonkershoek yesterday.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the corporate sponsors are causing a rift between MTBs. Think that Farmer Glen is right in ditching Old Mutual from Sani to sea.

Sounds like the race was a disaster

I have to agree on all the points you've raised. This was my first one and will probably be my last. I suggest you raise these concerns with them directly or via their Facebook page. Race organisers need to be held accountable for their poor shows.

I don't get this racing thing.

WTF is the point?

Social interacting, common interest, and experience. Its human nature.

Social interacting, common interest, and experience. Its human nature.

Judging by all the moaning after every race it sounds like a load of bollocks. You can get all that social stuff you mentioned riding with some good mates.

Warning, serious rant below.

This race was for sure the worst one I’ve done to date. There are a number of reasons, but let’s list a few of them here. Some of these issues may not be universally applicable but I still feel they played a role in the overall poor experience had by myself and many other participants. Note that I also did this event last year, and I loved it

1. Registration: I didn’t go to the registration myself this year, but my buddy who offered to stand in line for a group of us had a miserable time. Took him over an hour. From what I gather the tablet system was to blame. I guess that actually boils down to either using an untested system or poor planning and execution.

2. Loading of riders into start chutes: I started in B batch for the Marathon. I was there on time, but still didn’t manage to get in the chute before the gun went off. I estimate that a third of the batch was still trying to get in by the time the gun went off. Again, the tablets and scanners are to blame. There were only two guys loading us all in. When I did manage to get in the people were already putting up the tape for C batch. Surely management should have recognized the issue and delayed the start.

3. Water points: Three. I don’t need to say more, but I will. This was simply not enough for this race. And then when you got to them they had nothing. “Uh sorry, our water is done”.

4. Route: Hands down the most boring route I have ever done. Last year the route was awesome, in fact it was the reason I joined Tygerberg MTB club. This year it was the Tour de Sand. If I say there was 3km of singletrack I’m probably exaggerating. After 30km I was totally over it.

5. Post race area: It looked like the Ashburton clients had a brilliant time. If you were however, like me, not one of their clients you really didn’t have much choice. If you were very determined you would have found the small little table that sold some beer off to the one side. Thanks for alienating your potential cleints Ashburton. I don’t think I want to be one of your clients after that display.

6. Results: uuh...All I get is an Error 404 page.

It was not all bad though, the Biogen cooldrinks were actually quite nice, and I dig the free socks. The negatives unfortunately far outweighed the positives and I will not be doing any more races in the Ashburton series, ever.

Wish I rather went for a ride with my buddies in Jonkershoek yesterday.

The medics tent were fantastic, friendly personal, and professional. Can't remember their Names, but thx for your unseen selfless devotion.

My ride ended 4km' in,..seems like a blessing in disguise ????

Judging by all the moaning after every race it sounds like a load of bollocks. You can get all that social stuff you mentioned riding with some good mates.

Do you also not get any form of rugby / cricket / athletics / hockey / golf / chess / bowls / darts tournament (schools / club / provincial / international)?

True,..but you know what we human's are like ???? Creatures of habit, even in our own stupidity ????

Do you also not get any form of rugby / cricket / athletics / hockey / golf / chess / bowls / darts tournament (schools / club / provincial / international)?

Its difficult to do those sports on your own. Cycling on the other hand....

Its difficult to do those sports on your own. Cycling on the other hand....

What Gluvs is saying, Its so much more fun, sharing your experience with common interests,..and I'll be first to admit, cycling especially!

...anyway, Sorry OP, for the diverting.

I was in batch B, and saw atleast half of batch A still waiting to be scanned by " a single person",..when the other half went off..., really bad planning, and it wasn't as if there were thousands of entrants..

The A batch leftovers, were just tossed to the back,..and I've seen some very angry convo's exchanged ????

What Gluvs is saying, Its so much more fun, sharing your experience with common interests,..and I'll be first to admit, cycling especially!

I agree. I share with my good mates. 1000 strangers, many of whom are inconsiderate chops' no thanks.

...anyway, Sorry OP, for the diverting.

I was in batch B, and saw atleast half of batch A still waiting to be scanned by " a single person",..when the other half went off..., really bad planning, and it wasn't as if there were thousands of entrants..

The A batch leftovers, were just tossed to the back,..and I've seen some very angry convo's exchanged

Ja sorry for the hijack. As you were.

Geez ok maybe advendurance have new equipment but I can promise you they are the country's beSt race organisers. I did almost all of the Ashburton series last year and it was a fantastic experience. My one year as a jozi resident today...was I this much of a whiner when I lived in CT?

Geez ok maybe advendurance have new equipment but I can promise you they are the country's beSt race organisers. I did almost all of the Ashburton series last year and it was a fantastic experience. My one year as a jozi resident today...was I this much of a whiner when I lived in CT?

Tannie Cleats,..as daar n skrapie is, bly jy stil, as daar n snytjie is, plak n pleister, maar as die bloed spuit, dan maak jy jou bek oop ????

...the latter applies, wrt this event ????

Archived