1x11 or not

JeremyCPT

Hi

I am considering converting my Anthem from XT 2x10 to 1 x11. 

I want to do it for simplicity and weight saving. I ride all the trails around Cape Town and do multiday events such as the Pioneer.

Currently have the XT m785 2x10 crankset. Can I convert this to a 1x using a chain ring from Rapide or Wolftooth? Do I need a specific dish or off set to give the right chain line? Having ridden some friends 1x11 setups I think I need a 34T.

I think I should convert my Crest rims with Stans 3.30 hubs to take a Sram cassette with 10/42. Is the extra range of the Sram cassette vs the shimano cassette worth the expense of the conversion?

thanks

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JB! do it!

i did the 1x10 ghetto conversion on my scalpel with a gearhead expander ring 42 and gearhear 16 on the cassette and 32 up front all from Rapide.

I added a goat link on the RD to smooth the shift between the 14/16.

i would also recommend spacers on the chain ring to correct the chainline.  

all in costs were around R1500 provided you can use your cassette (XT or higher spec)

works a treat!

Agreed, if you are not a pro and just want the extra gearing then go 2 x 11. Simply keep your crank set up with front der and add the 11 speed Shimano upgrade kit to the rear. You will have an amazing spread of gears.

Hey man, 

1x11 is a dream. It really is. The only thing I miss about 2x is the ability to shift betwwwn small and big rings just after a tech section (on the way up) which is a lot more efficient than snagging 3 or 4 changes on the back. But that's just me picking nits. In all other areas, 1x11 rocks.

If you're able to ride the 34 ring at the front, that's great. You will be giving up a bit of range, but not that much. If you can ride the hills in CT using that ratio (34x42) then you'll be fine elsewhere. By "hills" I mean the climb to the top of Hillcrest, Bloemendaler / Contermanskloof masts and so on. 

As for the cassette. SRAM is 10-42 vs Shimano 11-42. That translates to a diff of ~10% at the top end, which means that on the flat stuff you'll be able to maintain a speed 10% higher at the same cadence on the SRAM setup, when comparing to the Shimano. Or, put another way, if you're on 100RPM on the SRAM, you'll need to be at 110RPM on the Shimano to keep the same speed. JUST on the highest gear, though.

Ideally, you'd get the 10-42. But therein lies a not insignificant cost difference, as not only is the SRAM cassette (GX level) slightly more expensive, you'll also need to get the XD Driver Body which could cost about an extra R 1,000 over and above the Shimano setup. 

If money is no object, I'd definitely trump up the extra for the Sram freehub body. It'll also allow you to adapt to the newer 9-42 cassette being made by e-13, which gives you even MORE range. 

If I were you, I'd also look into going for the Elliptical / Oval rings being made by Wolftooth / Absolute Black etc. They reportedly give you a better pedal stroke, and aid in technical climbing and at top end due to the shape of the ring. 

Either way - good luck in your efforts. The move to a 1x system will save you approximately 450g, so it's not a worthless procedure by any means, if weight saving and simplicity is your goal. I certainly don't miss my 2x system, and I'm by no means a strong climber. 

If I were you, I'd also look into going for the Elliptical / Oval rings being made by Wolftooth / Absolute Black etc. They reportedly give you a better pedal stroke, and aid in technical climbing and at top end due to the shape of the ring. 

Silly question. Would the alternating between an oval on the Mtb and a round ring on your road bike not cause havoc with your knees?

Silly question. Would the alternating between an oval on the Mtb and a round ring on your road bike not cause havoc with your knees?

I wouldn't think so. Pedalling on MTB is quite a bit different to road, unless you're only doing non-technical jeep track or farm roads. Quite a bit of varied pedalling input and power, vs road which is almost metronomic in comparison... 

I need to source chainrings for my "new" 1x11 conversion that will be done shortly. 

34 oval better than 32 round? (or must it be the other way round?)

I need to source chainrings for my "new" 1x11 conversion that will be done shortly. 

34 oval better than 32 round? (or must it be the other way round?)

32 Oval better than all...30 on the narrow and 24 on the wider bit.

Get from kalbo.co.za, they'v just released their 32, the 34 is on its way as well :)

Weight saving and simplicity? How much weight do you save? How competitive car you that you need to lose a few grams on your Giant Anthem? Simplicity? A front mech is the most simple device in its design and operation. I have never in 25 years of riding and racing ever had front mech admin. The only admin I've had on my small chain ring was chain suck because I was too cheap/lazy to replace worn drivetrain components. If you want simple ride single speed.

1 x 11 has a narrower range than 2 x 10. I laugh to myself at all the stage races when you overhear all these earnest conversations about which chainring to fit for the the next day's steep and hard / flat and fast stage. Boet I'm going 34 teeth. No boet that's too much stick with your 32. NO ways boet I k@kked off last year on my 34! I've only got a 32 - do you think I'll spin out? Can I buy another one here and who can fit it?

Really? You ride your 2x10 and have no need for any of these conversations and debates.

The other major PITA with 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 is the big gap between certain ratios where I can assure you, you will find yourself either spinning an easier gear more than you would like, or grinding a harder gear more than you would like.

By all means change to 1 x 11 if you want to, but don't think of it as an upgrade.

Edited by sometime

32 Oval better than all...30 on the narrow and 24 on the wider bit.

Get from kalbo.co.za, they'v just released their 32, the 34 is on its way as well :)

I need the "spiderless" Sram crankset chainring. Kalbo does not supply it at present. 

sometime - the weight saving is in the region of 350-500g depending on what shfters and FD you're removing, and the thickness of your cable housing etc. Also - the loss of one of the rings. 

Simplicity because you've now just got one shifter instead of 2. Cleanliness on the bars. 

Yes, a 2x10 has more range, but so does a 3x10. That has the most range of all. Should we all go back to 3x for range's sake, or all run what we want to run?

The guy is looking for answers on which way to go, not derision based on your perceptions of what is acceptable and / or ideal for you. As for the "gaps" - not yet experienced that, tbh. 

sometime - the weight saving is in the region of 350-500g depending on what shfters and FD you're removing, and the thickness of your cable housing etc. Also - the loss of one of the rings. 

Simplicity because you've now just got one shifter instead of 2. Cleanliness on the bars. 

Yes, a 2x10 has more range, but so does a 3x10. That has the most range of all. Should we all go back to 3x for range's sake, or all run what we want to run?

The guy is looking for answers on which way to go, not derision based on your perceptions of what is acceptable and / or ideal for you. As for the "gaps" - not yet experienced that, tbh. 

Yebo, no gaps with my XT 1x11 11-42 and Oval 32 up front.

Honestly switching to 1x was awesome and I'll never go back...

e-Thirteen is releasing a 10-44 cassette soon I believe as well, but then you may notice some gaps.

On my old 1x10 I did notice some gaps, but only if I concentrated :P Otherwise no mission there either.

I converted to 1x11 about 9 months ago and must be honest I love it!!!

I went the 34t route and have not had any problems thus far. We will see if thats the case after Sabie Ultra in 3 weeks time... :eek:

The ratios are different to 2x10 but none of the big gaps that gets mentioned here. After a few weeks you are used to the new ratios and away you go. If you choose your front ring correctly it is also fit and forget. I have never though to myself: "Tomorrow I am doing flat and fast, lets put on a bigger ring"

The simplicity is a big plus point. And I get more than double the KM's out of a chain than on 2x10.