Road Race Gurus... Grant me wisdom?

SPARTA-cus

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for a road race for my wife to do this month. Looking for a novice type of race in terms of climbing. This will be her first race and only race before she tackles the Cape Cycle challenge... We live in Gauteng and saw the following two races on BicyclingSA's website... 

Only looking to do the 60-ish distances. Might do both!

http://germistonclassic.co.za/

http://www.cycleevents.co.za/road-events/dis-chem-ride-for-sight-2016/

Any knowledge and or profiles are welcome on these races or any other that I may have missed. 

P.s Where can I find slicks for my MTB in Gauteng?

Please and thank you!

A concerned and loving MTB'ing husband :ph34r:

Edited by SPARTA-cus

There are 3 races left before the big August in March.

Ride 4 Sight and Carnival City and Berge & Dale.

Carnival City and R4S have overlapping routes.  Both done in the East of Jhb.  Why not do both?

Advantage of the R4S will be that it is timed by Racetec that will help for future seeding.

Then again, the Carnival City is my favourite between the two races.  VERY VERY well organised! 

Carnival City and R4S have overlapping routes.  Both done in the East of Jhb.  Why not do both?

Advantage of the R4S will be that it is timed by Racetec that will help for future seeding.

Then again, the Carnival City is my favourite between the two races.  VERY VERY well organised! 

The West?? more east I would say.  Berge en Dale is in the west.

Carnival City and R4S have overlapping routes.  Both done in the West  EAST of Jhb.  Why not do both?

Judging by the mullets, camo-cycling-kit and cortinas as back-up vehicles, R4S and Carnival City are in the East.

(n.b. if you're coming from Pretoria then it may look like theyre in the west as you'll be turning left and left when you look at a compass left is west, but you have to factor in that you are travelling upside-down, so to speak).

Edited by Joe Low

Lekka to see a concerned Hubby! Kudos dude!

If she hasn't done too many races in the past, I suggest you guys try and get to as many of them as you can. Each one will be a learning experience that will only be helpful come March and you've made the trek to CT for the tour here. Whatever the route and hills in it, these will be useful training towards your major milestone! Just set your expectations for where you are in your training correctly and you should have a fun day out at each of the events! You will be surprised and how much is involved in cycling amongst masses of other cyclists and trying to be comfortable and confident when there is not much room because of this. It's an art and only real life experience can help you with it! Enjoy the process!!!!!

I'm doing the R4S in preparation for CTCT, but it's the first time I will be doing this so can't help with any info.

I understand that it is the second biggest race in GP, thus it will give her valuable experience of riding in a bunch.

Judging by the mullets, camo-cycling-kit and cortinas as back-up vehicles, R4S and Carnival City are in the East.

(n.b. if you're coming from Pretoria then it may look like theyre in the west as you'll be turning left and left when you look at a compass left is west, but you have to factor in that you are travelling upside-down, so to speak).

Bahahhahahahah

Nar.

Thanks for the first smile of Monday.

East it is...... ^_^  :lol:  :P  :lol:  :lol:  :oops:

Hi,

There should also be a race this weekend at Rooiwal Powerstation just North of Pretoria.

There will be less people,(this can be good or bad) Do not have to worry about bunches but on your own for the race. Maybe a good started race

Then there is also the Argus prep race on 27 February at Willem Prinsloo museum. Will be smaller than races mentioned above but will have more people than at Rooiwal race.

:thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

Do carnival city because its so well organised and then ride 4 sight because its a good indicator as to what time you'll to in cape town. Give berge en dale a miss because its ASG and we would hate for your wife to give up cycling due to one bad experience.

Both great races, the R4S short route used to be an out and back but I see is now a loop. Both races merge with the longer distance riders at the R23 and R550 with about 20km left. Stick to the left but don't be intimidated by the groups, you also paid money to ride. 

Do Carnival and Ride 4 sight, both are flat races.  Berg & Dale has plenty hills and may put your wife off if is going to be her one and only race before CTCC.. you can save the hills for when she cycles CTCC.

Better for her to have a good day out rather than a slogfest... so that she feels better and more confident when cycling CTCC rather than dreading getting on the bike and having hills 

Both great races, the R4S short route used to be an out and back but I see is now a loop. Both races merge with the longer distance riders at the R23 and R550 with about 20km left. Stick to the left but don't be intimidated by the groups, you also paid money to ride

I feel so sorry for a lot of those short distance slower riders. I almost always end up catching them and most of the time they all riding single file or maybe 2 abreast and far over to the left and when I see how sometimes the group squeezes them and shouts at them I don't think its right. Quite often if they are a little bit over to the right they don't realise it and actually aren't doing it on purpose and they get such a fright when a fast group all of a sudden flies past at double the speed. Like you say they also paid and also have a right to be there.