Hubbers do I understand correctly?

Quagga

I was looking for an XD Driver for my Specialized wheel and saw one being advertised here.

I emailed the seller asking if it will work on my bike, sent the link to the specialized site to him and he said that the will do investigation.

I then said "I will take it if it will work. Will you accept RXXX"

He came back saying it will work and we did the deal. You will see from the add that the picture only shows on side of the hub.

It arrived and when we tried to fit it, I saw that my hub has 3 pawls inside. Contacted the seller and informed him.

He now says that I should advertise it and see if I can sell it as we never discussed a return. I thought it was clear when I said I will take it IF it will work.

He says I must try and find out on the web how to do the conversion, I called DT Swiss SA and they said you can not use that hub with a 3 pawl, and you can not convert it either.

I don't want to post the emails yet. 

What do the hubbers think? Please dont attack, just tell us if we needed to be more clear with each other?

Personally I would have reversed the transaction and put it down to school fees.

Edit: So my question is: Do I understand correctly that it is now my problem?

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/174922-dt-swiss-xd-driver-1x11-freehub-body-142x12/

Here is what my hub looks like.

Personally I think neither party knew enough to be conducting an online transaction but I'm handing this one over to the morality police

This is a bit of a weird one Coenie. Your take is that the onus on seeing if it fits lies with him and as such the transaction is now void as the said part does not in fact fit. You are thinking that the condition of sale was open till this point when the seller may consider the transaction complete with the exchange of goods for monies to each party. It may come down to how much this is worth each of your standing on this forum as to who chooses to be the bigger person!

For future sales the onus should be on the buyer to make sure the advertised item fits as they will be parting with the cash to obtain the item and it is ultimately to fit the buyers rig. This is the principle I would have agreed to for the sale so that there is no confusion down the road. The homework must be done by the buyer as the seller will be seriously inconvenienced if he has to entertain this type of request from each person who makes an enquiry!

The seller has agreed to do a reversal.  I think we both learned a lesson.

:thumbup:

Think we are both going to pay school fees(shipping) But such is life..

:mellow:

Glad this has worked out for you guys! You can be grateful you did not buy this from an 'Evan' style character!

Well done on stepping up Rudi. Karma will follow you mate!

(Make sure the next potential buyer does his homework and doesn't outsource that to you!)

Coenie, I would say that you still owe Rudi some beers at some point! Not many would have done what he has!

Glad he agreed to it. Had the same happen to me before. Had no resolution. Sometimes sellers can be boxes.

Glad this has worked out for you guys! You can be grateful you did not buy this from an 'Evan' style character!

Well done on stepping up Rudi. Karma will follow you mate!

(Make sure the next potential buyer does his homework and doesn't outsource that to you!)

Coenie, I would say that you still owe Rudi some beers at some point! Not many would have done what he has!

:thumbup:

Okay I am the seller here and would just like to highlight a few things.

I received a request asking if I took this off a Roval hub, which I did. He then asked if it will fit his Roval wheel on a Epic Elite. That was the extent of his request. The buyer never took his wheel in to check what type of freehub he needs to get for his specific hub.

I phoned a specialized store as well as did online research after which I told Coenie that his hub has DT Swiss internals so it will work. The difference here is that the hub I have uses star ratchets and his the 3 pawl system.

From what I knew at the time I was under the impression that all DT hubs uses the star ratchet system, which I now know is not the case. Based on that information I told him that it will fit.

I then see a negative rating on my account as well as this thread after I already agreed to refund him at 1h51 PM today, which I did not need to do...

Yeah, hold on. Can't be a negative rating for this! Coenie come clean dude!

(Everyone makes mistakes and if you had a trigger finger, chat to admin and get that sorted!)

(Everyone makes mistakes and if you had a trigger finger, chat to admin and get that sorted!)

I am in the process of fixing this, just give me second please

Okay I am the seller here and would just like to highlight a few things.

I received a request asking if I took this off a Roval hub, which I did. He then asked if it will fit his Roval wheel on a Epic Elite. That was the extent of his request. The buyer never took his wheel in to check what type of freehub he needs to get for his specific hub.

I phoned a specialized store as well as did online research after which I told Coenie that his hub has DT Swiss internals so it will work. The difference here is that the hub I have uses star ratchets and his the 3 pawl system.

From what I knew at the time I was under the impression that all DT hubs uses the star ratchet system, which I now know is not the case. Based on that information I told him that it will fit.

I then see a negative rating on my account as well as this thread after I already agreed to refund him at 1h51 PM today, which I did not need to do...

Like I said in my mail, I posted this EDIT: Before I got your mail / saw your mail  where  you agreed.  And I replied here saying we came to an agreement. So I am busy doing the review fix

Go check, it has been rectified.

We all pay school fees buying online...

I bought some XT shifters without understanding what "i-spec" meant.

Well, I do NOW...

(in that I understand that they won't fit on Formula brakes).

Anyhoo...I have some xt shifters waiting for a build or, more likely, a mate's bday / xmas gift.  I just didn't think it was right to ask the Seller to remedy MY stupidity.

Archived