cane creek ccdb air on gumtree

Longstreet

Saw this earlier and thought it looked liked a good deal:

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/milnerton/cane-creek-double-barrel-air-cs-free-courier/1001560408980910815097709

Thankfully I live not too far away and arranged to view it at some point today. Seems very hesitant to give out phone number and location. I also find the description far too specific

Then stumbled upon a recently deleted bikehub ad on google - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/176288-cane-creek-dbair-brand-new/

All I can tell is it's someone called Mark that lives in milnerton? 

Saw this earlier and thought it looked liked a good deal:

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/milnerton/cane-creek-double-barrel-air-cs-free-courier/1001560408980910815097709

Thankfully I live not too far away and arranged to view it at some point today. Seems very hesitant to give out phone number and location. I also find the description far too specific

Then stumbled upon a recently deleted bikehub ad on google - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/176288-cane-creek-dbair-brand-new/

All I can tell is it's someone called Mark that lives in milnerton? 

No This guy has been placing scams on the hub for a few weeks now. Always cane creek stuff it seems. I caught the add as he placed it on the hub and reported it as i knew it was the same guy who posted that DB inline a few days ago

No This guy has been placing scams on the hub for a few weeks now. Always cane creek stuff it seems. I caught the add as he placed it on the hub and reported it as i knew it was the same guy who posted that DB inline a few days ago

Ah, appreciate the reply. Ye, my gut was just telling me something was odd, especially with the lack of communication and info 

He's been popping up here over the last month or so with a Santa Cruz Bronson and the cane creek shock using a variety of pictures all pulled from elsewhere on the web.

We've banned the account each time thanks to vigilant hubbers, but please be on the lookout here and elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

..Did ANY of you guys bother CONTACTING me and coming to look at the bike or the shock I had for sale???

For ****s sake grow up!...there is a phone number - call the thing!

Make sure of your facts...

Call me and come and look at the shock!

I live in Melkbosstrand.

To the admins: so anybody can just report a scam if the price is low? Without even calling the seller?...and "assuming" he is placing ads under other names?

You guys are like a bunch of gossiping women ffs...

Colin Oeschger

..Did ANY of you guys bother CONTACTING me and coming to look at the bike or the shock I had for sale???

I live in Melkbosstrand.

To the admins: so anybody can just report a scam if the price is low? Without even calling the seller?...and "assuming" he is placing ads under other names?

Colin Oeschger

My friend actually did. You ended up not pulling through with the sale due to very odd reasons. 

I live in Melkbosstrand.

Colin Oeschger

And why is your name colin now instead of MARK like it use to be?

I live in Melkbosstrand.

Colin Oeschger

This can be cleared up so easily. Supply a photo of the shock with your hub name and the date written on a piece of paper next to it. We'll wait.

This can be cleared up so easily. Supply a photo of the shock with your hub name and the date written on a piece of paper next to it. We'll wait.

His new photos seem ligit. But he had a different name and sold other stuff under different names before. He might have the shock but if you do dodgy stuff on here we don't like it and we will point it out.

Edit: Unless this is now a completely different shock - here's the story:

The first time the ad popped up the seller asked R3000 and claimed the shock came from his santa cruz bronson. Also said it was a 150mm shock until we told him that a bronson uses a 200mm.
It was two weeks ago on a Thursday morning.

I sent a PM about the shock and said I'll take it and would collect that night.
Seller replied shipping is free in the deal and that he's off to Hermanus for the weekend but that I can come and get it on Sunday.

Later that day seller reposted the ad by which time I emailed him and asked whether our deal is now somehow off? I also posted an alert on the second ad because alarmbells went off.
Seller again deleted and reposted the ad the same day by which time I alerted and contacted admin.

The email the seller used was a knock off that seemed to be some sort of cycling shop in Rondebosch. (JamesAdamsCycles)

Since then the same ad has been reposted with the seller being from a number of different locations, including Vredenburg.

I'm the guy that keeps reporting these ads.

They still seem dodge.

Edited by cpelser

I live in Melkbosstrand.

Colin Oeschger

Dear "Colin", you either are a scammer or thick as 2 bricks.

Either way it doesn't look good but if you are just going through a rough patch then stick with it because the guys on bikehub are the good sort and won't hold past indiscretions against you if you do turn out to be a genuine bloke.

Edit. Oops, perhaps the Gumtree ads were cons and the bikehub ads legit but the 2 were misconstrued as being from the same person?

That wouldn't be the most credible coincidence though...

Edited by Skylark

BOOM! Easy peasy

My comment (and most of the others on here) relate to a different Cane Creek shock - I've been watching those ads and jumped to conclusions about which shock was in question here. My apologies! 

Comment re SC Bronson and "the other" CC shock:-

I'm fairly confident he has the frame and shock to be honest... The big question is does he have a proof of purchase for the frame and shock. The last I remember the frame seemed to be missing its decals in the sale so could have been going for a stealth look or it might just be a really sad way of trying to hide what the frame looked like before it was acquired (possibly quite similar to this bike as an example --> https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/262-santa-cruz-bronson-2015/)

Edited by Edge_Design

Looks like this is actually a different Cane Creek shock to the one I am talking about (and everyone else). I remember this one where you had the box in the pics - there was another one recently that came off a dodgy Bronson ad. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Edge_Design

so the seller was last online at 15:58 on sunday 14th..chose not to comment further here when he had the platform to set things straight.

That's just dodge....might well be legit, but be warned as many boxes are ticked.

I live in Melkbosstrand.

Colin Oeschger

Hi Colin,

It appears myself and some Hubbers have been a little quick on the draw and this appears to be a case of mistaken identity.

If this is indeed the case I humbly apologise.

As others have explained, we've had an individual trying to sell a Santa Cruz frame and Cane Creek shock over the past few months. Each time the ads surface they lack all detail and photographs used are pulled from other sites online. 

Additionally, that user has dodged questions raised and generally behaved suspiciously.

Given the scarcity of this particular Cane Creek shock and this user's history, it was a very natural assumption to make that your advert was from the same user. 

In these instances where there is doubt we do favour a cautious approach removing first and asking / answering questions later. For the most part the suspicions of Hubbers and our team are spot on and many would be scams have been avoided. 

Although a 'false positive' such as this is most unfortunate, we'd rather find ourselves apologising to the occasional falsely flagged legitimate user than having users fall victim to potential scams. 

Kind Regards,

Matt Eagar

Founder - Bike Hub