Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

Welcome as this will be, I was hoping for something a little less intensive and more aimed at the MTB set. Like clearing the #Rhodes Drive and other road verges and widening them in places so we have more safe off road links to the actual trails...

..did I misunderstand?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any groups i could join to ride this or any other area in the S/subs? Please add me on whatsapp 071 046 8814.

Having ridden this Trail for a while and its getting Busier everyday...Looks like all the publicity has actually got more walkers out on the greenbelt or hopefully they are feeling safer with all the friendly mtnbikers  patrolling the greenbelt Cycle trail.

Just a Observation on my part, the trail doesn't actually flow that well for large groups of riders 

2-3 riders in a group works well enough, but larger groups are starting to irritate the dog walkers...Who obligingly move there dogs off the trail to let cyclists pass but then the stretched out group takes forever to pass.How to remedy this issue ,maybe by advising the groups to split into smaller parcels of 3-4 riders.

Was thinking if there are like minded users out there to adopt a section of the trail to keep litter free...I live close to the Tokai start of the trail and don't mind taking a black bag every now and then and doing a bit of picking up.(yes very little of this will be discarded litter by bikers) but lets just show our appreciation.

And Happy 29'er Day

(edit spelling)

Having ridden this Trail for a while and its getting Busier everyday...Looks like all the publicity has actually got more walkers out on the greenbelt or hopefully they are feeling safer with all the friendly mtnbikers  patrolling the greenbelt Cycle trail.

Just a Observation on my part, the trail doesn't actually flow that well for large groups of riders 

2-3 riders in a group works well enough, but larger groups are starting to irritate the dog walkers...Who obligingly move there dogs off the trail to let cyclists pass but then the stretched out group takes forever to pass.How to remedy this issue ,maybe by advising the groups to split into smaller parcels of 3-4 riders.

Was thinking if their are like minded users out there to adopt a section of the trail to keep litter free...I live close to the Tokai start of the trail and don't mind taking a black bag every now and then and picking up.(yes very little of this will be discarded litter by bikers) but lets just show our appreciation.

Absolutely. This thinking goes a long way towards better relationships and overall a better experience for all. Thanks for that suggestion.

I also live at the start of the trail in Tokai, would be happy to join you for a cleanup. 

Deon and myself got out there on our feet (always out there on our bikes)and black bags in hand Tackled the Firgrove Way Bridge corner,Both sides..And as pictured above cleared 3 bags full.

Most of this trash is from the homeless sleeping under the pines and the rest pretty much the folks using the trail as pathways between work and Taxi/station.The transients certainly use a surprising amount of beauty products...Shampoo bottles hair-care products and I even found a makeup kit.
Roughly 12 km of trail one way and most of the trail pretty neat..it wouldn't take to many volunteers to adopt a section.
The Hot spots are the road intersection crossover sections..The entry points from the tar road into the trails.
The section below the Constantia drive crossover and at the top of the trail across the road.

Next week we"ll be out there again midweek at noon for an hour

Deon and myself got out there on our feet (always out there on our bikes)and black bags in hand Tackled the Firgrove Way Bridge corner,Both sides..And as pictured above cleared 3 bags full.

Most of this trash is from the homeless sleeping under the pines and the rest pretty much the folks using the trail as pathways between work and Taxi/station.The transients certainly use a surprising amount of beauty products...Shampoo bottles hair-care products and I even found a makeup kit.
Roughly 12 km of trail one way and most of the trail pretty neat..it wouldn't take to many volunteers to adopt a section.
The Hot spots are the road intersection crossover sections..The entry points from the tar road into the trails.
The section below the Constantia drive crossover and at the top of the trail across the road.

Next week we"ll be out there again midweek at noon for an hour

thanks so much for doing that.

Was thinking if there are like minded users out there to adopt a section of the trail to keep litter free...I live close to the Tokai start of the trail and don't mind taking a black bag every now and then and doing a bit of picking up.(yes very little of this will be discarded litter by bikers) but lets just show our appreciation.

And Happy 29'er Day

(edit spelling)

I think in general, large groups are a bad idea - on the trail, or the road. There is also a traffic danger  - the fun DH sections are bisected by roads, admittedly quiet ones, but the scope for a fatal pile up is real. 

Trash pic-up Wednesday noon ...the Greenbelt Trail...Deon and myself tackled the Firgrove section from the bridge to the the Mud-bath(dry now thankfully).We discovered the area hidden in the trees riverside is  a major dumping ground and ended up collecting 5 bags of Trash and when he post a pic some other surprises.I'll do my little section from Brockerway park to the Dead bridge in the week.

Need a team to do the Top of Southern cross drive anyone... anyone?

Trash pic-up Wednesday noon ...the Greenbelt Trail...Deon and myself tackled the Firgrove section from the bridge to the the Mud-bath(dry now thankfully).We discovered the area hidden in the trees riverside are a major dumping ground and ended up collecting 5 bags of Trash and when he post a pic some other surprises.I'll do my little section from Brockerway park to the Dead bridge in the week.

Need a team to do the Top of Southern cross drive anyone... anyone?

Oops. :blush:  Battery flat now but will stick it up here in the morning.

Actually, in the Parks meeting all day today, the trash collections made for quite a good discussion point about the positives of an involved user group like mountain biking being allowed in an areas where they previously weren't. *That item* is still on the bakkie and drew a good few stares of disbelief.

I don't think it will be difficult for a few like-minded people to adopt a spot at different points along the trail. In the two hours over two Wednesdays we have managed to collect 8 dirtbags of trash and for two people only that's not bad going if I say so myself.. ;)

On the whole I am quite impressed how clean the gb is, just a few problem spots. Think of the goodwill.

I'll do Southern Cross drive down to Silverhurst belt when I'm home....saw some "trash" today but it got away from me....not sure if a black plastic bag would do the trick though....

post-35907-0-40581600-1457697025_thumb.jpg

post-35907-0-38653400-1457697307_thumb.jpg

I'll do Southern Cross drive down to Silverhurst belt when I'm home....

That's great news thanks "Cape Diver" Yep it's going to take more than a couple black bags on the top corner alone.

I'll do Southern Cross drive down to Silverhurst belt when I'm home....saw some "trash" today but it got away from me....not sure if a black plastic bag would do the trick though....

haha. Bury it, the top half is biodegradable.

post-13110-0-31691300-1457702947_thumb.jpg

Imagine Howard's surprise when I emerged from the bushes with one of these.. I get the feeling the Grootboschkloof stream was once a river.  :eek:

So Saturday  out on the Greenbelt Trail today...And its getting Busier ,

At the Firgrove bridge section down to the Constantia side...where Deon and myself had cleaned up on Wednesday some MOFAR had dumped a pile of papers looked like someones office trash-bin.

I didn't have a black bag on me ,so this afternoon  I drove back out there to go and clear it up...Surprised to find someone had beat me to it...thanks guys and gals.

On my second loop up at the top of Southern cross drive ..Diepriver start ...it was a hive of activity with cops ..ADT  and crime-watch..vehicles .they arrested  were busy zip tie-handcuffing  a suspect .

BTW did you know there are 2 water points along the Greenbelt cycle trail ,one just after the Meadow and one on the right-hand side at the top of Southern cross dive.

Its bit of a mission to fill bottles from it as its the button squirt system ..so i'll be packing a 5-10 mm diameter little pipe for next time.

Archived