Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

Trailhead @ Southern Cross Drive to Constantia Main Road...not bad, mostly from the strip at Southern Cross Drive/Silverhurst cross over, a popular taxi stop....there are 3 bins there but they are on the wrong side of the road........

post-35907-0-38040600-1458295236_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I have changed the title of my original posting to,

"Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates"

It seems more in line with the discussion...

The trail Along M3 section is  a little muddier  after the few days of rain...the mud pit is still OK though, the cement slabs are still dry.We finished our ride at around 18.45 and still no need for lights on..but later as I drove down the M3 at about 19:30 it was dark...and saw lots of bike lights  weaving down along the trail.

While riding on the lower section of the trail, I did notice a storm water/possibly sewerage bubbling over.

Hi guys

Did the greenbelt last week and must say that it was like being transported to an exotic mtb trail with varying levels of challenges for the entire family.I guess it's also a private due to live in the constantia area in which u telepathy away from the local masses.

While riding today I saw a mountain biker, wearing branded kit from a large prominent wealth management business, entering the Klaasenbosch trail.

As we all know this part of the trail is off limits and shows clearly that this rider is a selfish individual who is putting the usage of the Constantia greenbelt at risk for us all.

The question is, would this put you off investing with the business that he is wearing on his back?

While riding today I saw a mountain biker, wearing branded kit from a large prominent wealth management business, entering the Klaasenbosch trail.

As we all know this part of the trail is off limits and shows clearly that this rider is a selfish individual who is putting the usage of the Constantia greenbelt at risk for us all.

The question is, would this put you off investing with the business that he is wearing on his back?

Unfortunately that's the risk companies Take giving away or selling branded gear to Staff , Clients and in some cases the general public...In this case the Biker wearing their branded gear is a Tosser...No , unless i knew for certain and identified the rider as Owner ,management or staff member  of the particular company ,

NO I certainly wouldn't hold them responsible.

Or should I not be buying that new Specialized bike, as on my last ride I saw a biker wearing Specialized gear also ducking down the forbidden trails

Agreed with Mr Steele, unless the company condones this behaviour, I can't see how they can be held liable for this person's infringement.

My question before blaming the shirt would be, what did you do to help correct the situation? I know it's not your responsibility but as individuals we hold the key.. 

Agreed with Mr Steele, unless the company condones this behaviour, I can't see how they can be held liable for this person's infringement.

My question before blaming the shirt would be, what did you do to help correct the situation? I know it's not your responsibility but as individuals we hold the key.. 

...as I rode past him I stopped and asked him if he really was going to ride down the trail? He replied with a big hearty "Yes!".

When I have confronted guys on that trailhead, I have often got a reply that they live in Constantia/Hohenhort and have the right to ride that particular trail because they pay their rate and taxes!

...as I rode past him I stopped and asked him if he really was going to ride down the trail? He replied with a big hearty "Yes!".

When I have confronted guys on that trailhead, I have often got a reply that they live in Constantia/Hohenhort and have the right to ride that particular trail because they pay their rate and taxes!

Surely if they express will glee that they plan to ride an illegal trail, they should have no problem being photographed.

Smile/no smile, it's their choice but I'd inset they smile as it fits the attitude of "I don't give a F***". 

I almost rode up there yesterday but stuck on the tar instead   - it was my old stomping ground and have been riding there for years. The official trails don't cater for me because I ride from Wynberg and had a lekker loop from home using Klaasenbssch as a route to Rhodes drive. Now I must dodge cars. Its a lot  easier to be condescending and self-righteous about transgressors when you haven't  lost your favourite trail/route. 

Also remember that the reason there are any trails open in Tokai and Constantia is because they have always been ridden and were well known. Traditionally this is how MTB routes have developed and evolved. The Klaasenbosch trail would have been ideal too, two trails, one on each side of the river, lovely corners,  but the mink and manure set got their way. 

How about this. If nobody ever rides there will that trail ever be opened? If people do ride there the need to open it is there for everyone to see. Not sure, lets see how it pans out, but I am not holding my breath.  

I almost rode up there yesterday but stuck on the tar instead   - it was my old stomping ground and have been riding there for years. The official trails don't cater for me because I ride from Wynberg and had a lekker loop from home using Klaasenbssch as a route to Rhodes drive. Now I must dodge cars. Its a lot  easier to be condescending and self-righteous about transgressors when you haven't  lost your favourite trail/route. 

Also remember that the reason there are any trails open in Tokai and Constantia is because they have always been ridden and were well known. Traditionally this is how MTB routes have developed and evolved. The Klaasenbosch trail would have been ideal too, two trails, one on each side of the river, lovely corners,  but the mink and manure set got their way. 

How about this. If nobody ever rides there will that trail ever be opened? If people do ride there the need to open it is there for everyone to see. Not sure, lets see how it pans out, but I am not holding my breath.  

I do sympathize with this, I too feel that the current approach is 'cap in hand' and that we are eternally grateful for being allowed to ride in areas where we always rode. The current EMP gives me the impression that if we all play our cards right, do as we are told we might one day get some more trails in future decades. 

Cycling, I am afraid is a victim of its own success - just so much pressure now on such limited resources. So its all about management and control - the freedom has all but gone.

I also dont buy the argument that it is because we misbehaved - I think thats a ruse for those insisting on control. I see more misbehavior from an authorised use/ entitlement complex than I do from people taking responsibility.

The guys cleaning up their section recently - I bet they never needed to be told where to ride and how to behave. 

I have a one way street in front of my house. I am now gatvol of always having to drive around a whole block every time I want to go somewhere. The City of Cape Town is so unreasonable! So, from tomorrow morning, I am simply going to start using it in any direction I like! It would be much more convenient for me and after all I have lived there for 25 years! Sooner or later it will become a two way street anyway! Stuff due process, stuff other drivers, it is my constitutional right to freedom of movement! ;) 

I do sympathize with this, I too feel that the current approach is 'cap in hand' and that we are eternally grateful for being allowed to ride in areas where we always rode. The current EMP gives me the impression that if we all play our cards right, do as we are told we might one day get some more trails in future decades. 

Cycling, I am afraid is a victim of its own success - just so much pressure now on such limited resources. So its all about management and control - the freedom has all but gone.

I also dont buy the argument that it is because we misbehaved - I think thats a ruse for those insisting on control. I see more misbehavior from an authorised use/ entitlement complex than I do from people taking responsibility.

The guys cleaning up their section recently - I bet they never needed to be told where to ride and how to behave. 

I think it's ok to see this as fact, for the most part from the cyclists perspective it makes all the sense - until you've found yourself listening to the other side. Certainly when you look at the situation from all sides it paints a slightly different picture.

I have a one way street in front of my house. I am now gatvol of always having to drive around a whole block every time I want to go somewhere. The City of Cape Town is so unreasonable! So, from tomorrow morning, I am simply going to start using it in any direction I like! It would be much more convenient for me and after all I have lived there for 25 years! Sooner or later it will become a two way street anyway! Stuff due process, stuff other drivers, it is my constitutional right to freedom of movement! ;) 

You clearly don't get what he is saying

Archived