Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

I almost rode up there yesterday but stuck on the tar instead   - it was my old stomping ground and have been riding there for years. The official trails don't cater for me because I ride from Wynberg and had a lekker loop from home using Klaasenbssch as a route to Rhodes drive. Now I must dodge cars. Its a lot  easier to be condescending and self-righteous about transgressors when you haven't  lost your favourite trail/route. 

Also remember that the reason there are any trails open in Tokai and Constantia is because they have always been ridden and were well known. Traditionally this is how MTB routes have developed and evolved. The Klaasenbosch trail would have been ideal too, two trails, one on each side of the river, lovely corners,  but the mink and manure set got their way. 

How about this. If nobody ever rides there will that trail ever be opened? If people do ride there the need to open it is there for everyone to see. Not sure, lets see how it pans out, but I am not holding my breath.  

I don't agree with this, BUT I do see your point (and also rode those trails way back when).

It's not a straightforward issue, but I think the mtb community are getting a lot more bargaining capital by playing by the (silly as they are) rules.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with this, BUT I do see your point (and also rode those trails way back when).

It's not a straightforward issue, but I think the mtb community are getting a lot more bargaining capital by playing by the (silly as they are) rules.

agree with you - also rode the "trails" for more than a decade before it started becoming an issue, but in the spirit of supporting the people who are trying to make a change I am now sticking to the rules. Same with night riding the mountain - 15 years of breaking the law but doing no harm does not work as an argument anymore. I don't expect illegal riding to help open trials, but I guess I can see illegal riding playing a role in blocking the opening of trials

Have to admit some days though I yearn for the days when mountain biking was fringe

I think the issue here is sheer numbers vs resources - its impossible to do what we once did.

On the other hand, its the mandated authorities role to plan for the growth in numbers and balance that with the management of resources. Which I believe they have failed to do and are failing to do.

You just have to look at the other thread on cyclists vs runners - suddenly we are competing for road space where just a few years ago we would have been surprised to see each other.

Without some fairly urgent planning and urgent execution I feel that there is going to be more avoidable conflict.

The best thing now is to play nice, be nice, don't be too uptight and all try to get along.

I have a one way street in front of my house. I am now gatvol of always having to drive around a whole block every time I want to go somewhere. The City of Cape Town is so unreasonable! So, from tomorrow morning, I am simply going to start using it in any direction I like! It would be much more convenient for me and after all I have lived there for 25 years! Sooner or later it will become a two way street anyway! Stuff due process, stuff other drivers, it is my constitutional right to freedom of movement! ;) 

What nonsense. Think you missed the point, totally. 

Deon thanks, its not often we agree on anything!  Oh wait....

Chaps, do you think its okay for cyclocross/road bikes to use the green belt trails. I mean these are supposed to be for mountain bikes and I keep seeing cross bikes there. Or does it just say something about the quality of the trails on offer?  :D

Deon thanks, its not often we agree on anything!  Oh wait....

Chaps, do you think its okay for cyclocross/road bikes to use the green belt trails. I mean these are supposed to be for mountain bikes and I keep seeing cross bikes there. Or does it just say something about the quality of the trails on offer?  :D

One of them roadie types on a CX bike beat you down the hill? :ph34r:  ;)

I've created a course for the greenbelt...gpx, tcx and FIT files....FIT contains custom cues and if you upload it into your Garmin (especially if you have the wonderful Fenix 3 with latest FW ver 6.90) you should be able to follow and get alerts. I'm out of town but would love to hear from someone if the files work......I can't upload these file s for some reason so PM me if you interested. Also here's a link to RidewithGPS to see the route....you can grab the tcx from there but need to convert it to FIT files for Fenix 3 and proper cues....https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13085945

Edit: Simple TCX to FIT converter: http://runningbadger.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/a-tool-to-help-with-navigation-on.html

I'm rather busy at the moment not even managing to ride every second night.

But I managed to get out and do a rubbish pickup along the first part of the trail starting at the cnr of Fiford Cr to the Dead bridge.

Collected a black bag full and I must reiterate... yes it's not mnt Bikers rubbish...it all seems to come from the freeway or the casual workers walking back and forth through the trails from taxi/station  to work.

you can use your imagination as to where  to the pair of socks I found,comes from.

Miss Piggy The Friendly Black pot bellied pig from the last house,came to help but when none of the rubbish was edible she left me with a snort and a grunt.

Still looking for more Mtbiking volunteers to Adopt a short section of the Greenbelt trail to keep clean.No reward except personal gratification and a big thanks from like minded bikers.Maybe bikehub central will give you a Happy Huber gold star.

In the proposal for more Bike/Mntbike trails ,Currently on view ,they have mentioned a probability  of an   increase in litter if closed trails are opened to bikers. Wouldn't it be great if they actually see us as a solution and not a Liability.

When Deon mentioned our litter collection drive at one of the meetings the powers that be were suitably impressed.

Cheers 

H

In the proposal for more Bike/Mntbike trails ,Currently on view ,they have mentioned a probability  of an   increase in litter if closed trails are opened to bikers. Wouldn't it be great if they actually see us as a solution and not a Liability.

Hey Howard.. feeling guilty for not joining but thanks for your persistence!

Be sure to send in your comments pointing out how many bags of litter your drive has collected to date.. it will substantiate the discussion around responsibility the new users bring to the proposed areas.

PS, the point of the increase in litter is based on the increase of numbers on the trail. But what the formula cannot take into account is the difference a small group of socially conscious people make. Well done, think you should be first in line for the Happy Hubber environmental star.. !

I'm rather busy at the moment not even managing to ride every second night.

But I managed to get out and do a rubbish pickup along the first part of the trail starting at the cnr of Fiford Cr to the Dead bridge.

Collected a black bag full and I must reiterate... yes it's not mnt Bikers rubbish...it all seems to come from the freeway or the casual workers walking back and forth through the trails from taxi/station to work.

you can use your imagination as to where to the pair of socks I found,comes from.

Miss Piggy The Friendly Black pot bellied pig from the last house,came to help but when none of the rubbish was edible she left me with a snort and a grunt.

Still looking for more Mtbiking volunteers to Adopt a short section of the Greenbelt trail to keep clean.No reward except personal gratification and a big thanks from like minded bikers.Maybe bikehub central will give you a Happy Huber gold star.

In the proposal for more Bike/Mntbike trails ,Currently on view ,they have mentioned a probability of an increase in litter if closed trails are opened to bikers. Wouldn't it be great if they actually see us as a solution and not a Liability.

When Deon mentioned our litter collection drive at one of the meetings the powers that be were suitably impressed.

Cheers

H

I'm happy to pitch in here... Brilliant idea

Archived