Huddle Park

StuRat

Hey CAAD stumbled on this old thread, just bought an enduro MTB and looking for technical MTB rides. I live close to Linksfield and wondered if the koppies are safe to ride? Can you share any insights please?

Hi Mike. I haven't ridden on the Ridge in years, SO I don't know what it's like nowadays, but I certainly wouldn't ride there on my own.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems with the Linkfield Ridge is access, the only point of access from the north is that road up from Huddle Park next to Senderwood (John Ave). The main path along the top to the tower is overrun with Wattle and there are stolen cable processing facilities, Protea trees are being used for firewood.

In short, not really an option for a ride (unless you are really brave) but the southern face is good for walking, its open and clear, you can access that from the other side (Fouchee Terrace in Morninghill)

It is a public property, a declared nature reserve, with great potential for a few trails but right now, few seem to care about it, certainly not the people who are being paid to look after it.

Having said that I chance it occasionally entering from Cyrildene side when there is someone with a key for the gate there, its always stunning views and mostly rideable.

We should claim it back by going and exploring there but take the local CAP number (086 122 7227) and call them if you encounter any skelms, they have said they will sort them out, and I have called them a few times with reports of said stolen cabling processing in action.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone know if the trails at Huddle Park are still open. Any maintenance of the trails happening? Just looking for something close and short to ride during the week. Thanks. 

Huddle Park Does Not Accept Cash for Payment.

You Need to pay with a SA Bank Credit or Debit Card.

Was at Huddle 2 months ago and they accept cash.

Anyone know if the trails at Huddle Park are still open. Any maintenance of the trails happening? Just looking for something close and short to ride during the week. Thanks. 

Yup. Go ride. 

Was at Huddle 2 months ago and they accept cash.

they're trying to go cashless but I doubt they'll turn anyone away. 

post-44041-0-18855600-1579787871_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

When last did anyone ride here? Back in 2016/17 is wasn't bad for a quick midweek ride and we would like to incorporate this guy on a Wednesday afternoon for a quick burn. 

When last did anyone ride here? Back in 2016/17 is wasn't bad for a quick midweek ride and we would like to incorporate this guy on a Wednesday afternoon for a quick burn. 

January, the bits inside in only do green trails bits. 

post-44041-0-99309100-1595234654_thumb.jpg

Did the entire black route recently and it adds up to about 20km. Blissful riding. Trails are being maintained well. Heard of a trail map being designed. Join the Huddle Park Trails group on Facebook for the updates. You can even buy your ticket online now https://www.myclubaccount.co.za/huddlepark/ClubEvents

• 4 weeks later...

Just me ranting........Was at Huddle Park 3 weeks ago and my oh my what a disaster!

What was so interesting about how many people with dogs, prams and kids were wondering on the bike trails.

To add to that, there were so many un-leashed dogs running around that they actually cause quite an obstacle when trying to ride.

I can see why the number of cyclists making use of the trails is dwindling down. I saw a total of 4 other cyclists on the trails.

If i can remember, the rule was that all dogs are to be on a leash which looks like is no longer the case. It's not like there is limited space for everybody to make use of. There are dedicated trails for each discipline.

I must say that i was very disappointed in the lack of control exercised by the dog walkers that i will not be heading back to Huddle Park again. You pay R50 to play dodge the dog, pram or walker.... no thank you  :thumbdown:

Just me ranting........Was at Huddle Park 3 weeks ago and my oh my what a disaster!

What was so interesting about how many people with dogs, prams and kids were wondering on the bike trails.

To add to that, there were so many un-leashed dogs running around that they actually cause quite an obstacle when trying to ride.

I can see why the number of cyclists making use of the trails is dwindling down. I saw a total of 4 other cyclists on the trails.

If i can remember, the rule was that all dogs are to be on a leash which looks like is no longer the case. It's not like there is limited space for everybody to make use of. There are dedicated trails for each discipline.

I must say that i was very disappointed in the lack of control exercised by the dog walkers that i will not be heading back to Huddle Park again. You pay R50 to play dodge the dog, pram or walker.... no thank you  :thumbdown:

Yeah doesn't sound so lekker. You don't want another cyclist hits dog thread.

My folks wanted to take their 2 dogs there recently(They went in, paid, spent <5 minutes and realised its chaos and left) and they said it has gotten very expensive and my Dad said that there will be an incident there very soon between a rider and walker. Before they built that shopping centre and complex the trails and dog section were separate but money has spoken.

Thats why we stuck to the "fun" sections in the "forest" cause all the usual trails were full of non cyclists and it does get annoying especially when they make little remarks, i had a couple stop right in the middle of the trail after they saw me. It seems pedestrians and dog walkers are out for us cyclists all of a sudden. Red barn was just as bad 2 weeks ago, upon exit of the track there were so many people and dogs that we decided we would rather take a drink break than challenge the gauntlet.

Please do contact trail builder David and share your thoughts and complaints. I do believe that he's trying hard to make the MTB trails better - and sadly it's the people that go there that f u k it up for everybody, and simply not going means we're gonna lose another urban trail /park . 

With the neighbourhood shopping centre next door, i've noticed many moms drop off their kids on their bikes and go off for coffee or whatever, and the kids run amok and it gets classified as "cyclist" being rude. Dog poop dodging and having to get the tut tut from walkers when rules explicitly say- MTBers have right of way. 

david.boshoff (At) gmail.com  

Please do contact trail builder David and share your thoughts and complaints. I do believe that he's trying hard to make the MTB trails better - and sadly it's the people that go there that f u k it up for everybody, and simply not going means we're gonna lose another urban trail /park . 

With the neighbourhood shopping centre next door, i've noticed many moms drop off their kids on their bikes and go off for coffee or whatever, and the kids run amok and it gets classified as "cyclist" being rude. Dog poop dodging and having to get the tut tut from walkers when rules explicitly say- MTBers have right of way. 

david.boshoff (At) gmail.com  

Thanks for the info. Will definitely contact David. It would be sad to see another trail close down but something seriously needs to happen.