New to downhill/enduro riding

pistonpomp

Jis julle!

Just a few questions as I am progressing from hop a long mtb to more enduro and more technical stuff, so here goes:

1. I am planning to buy a Morewood Izumo to start with - from what I have read it's a rocksolid bike so I reckon it will handle my 100kg not-so-slim physique?

2. Where I ride the trails consists of a lot of riverbed rocks so I presume you just choose a line and go? With my current softail (BMC Fourstroke) it's not that easy to manouvre the bike across all the rocks.

3. Do these bikes use tubeless or not and which is the best?

4. Cleats with a big platform or just flat pedals?

5. What do you take along in your backpack, except fro the normal pump, bombs and mini tools?

That is all I can currently think of. Any other advice would be appreciated!

Edited by pistonpomp

First of all your BMC is a Full suspension bike not a soft tail that is a different type of machine. Your pedal choice does not really matter it's what you are comfortable with. Lots of guys use tubeless some still use tubes but tubeless is better because you have less issues with small punctures and you can run lower pressures with tubeless as well.

Edited by Bizkit031

Other things to consider:

6: Helmet. Do you go full face or just something with good side and rear protection. Full face is hot and heavy, but offers more protection for your cheek bones and chin.

7. What type of knee and elbow pads? Typically something that is light and flexible, but robust enough to take some big hits.

Yo

1 - anything with 140 - 160 mm travel is more than enough , you do want some decent gearing as you still have to peddle up those  hills to get down

2- choose a line and go for it - try stay light on the bike and pop over the rocks instead of trying to go thru them

you will also want a dropper post and will end up using this the most !!

3- Tubeless is always best for me and like mentioned,  u can run lower pressure which helps to roll over rocks instead of bouncing back and also gives u more grip around corners

4 - I rode with clits  for 3 years and have recently changed backed to flats - takes a bit of getting used to especially  on technical climbs but flats def out ways clits  when u need to stick ur foot out on a berm or landing skew on a jump ect ect - spank spikes are some good flats

5 - try get a decent evoc pack so u can pack ur tools so they spread all over the place instead of all the weight  in one place as throws ur momentum over u  on drops ect ect - just normal tools is fine with some beer money always

6 - if u can,  try get a bell supra so u can take the chin piece off when climbing but they pretty expensive so a normal trail helmet will do - 661 makes some nice trail helmets and as well as knee pads and elbows but knees def way more important

Welcome to what mountain biking is all about  - make sure you got your baggies and T shirt on so u don't look like a lycra snake in the mirror and have fun , hit jumps , do drops. drink beer and talk *** on the trails!

There is a intro to endure at hakahana on the 19 March in Gauteng if u wanna check out the vibe

Jis julle!

Just a few questions as I am progressing from hop a long mtb to more enduro and more technical stuff, so here goes:

1. I am planning to buy a Morewood Izumo to start with - from what I have read it's a rocksolid bike so I reckon it will handle my 100kg not-so-slim physique?

2. Where I ride the trails consists of a lot of riverbed rocks so I presume you just choose a line and go? With my current softail (BMC Fourstroke) it's not that easy to manouvre the bike across all the rocks.

3. Do these bikes use tubeless or not and which is the best?

4. Cleats with a big platform or just flat pedals?

5. What do you take along in your backpack, except fro the normal pump, bombs and mini tools?

That is all I can currently think of. Any other advice would be appreciated!

Hey pistonpomp

Hopefully some more info for you...

1. An Izimu is a full DH bike so if you're planning to do more enduro style events then pedalling this beast to the start of each stage will require a lot of effort. Chances are you'll be pushing it up the majority of climbs. That said the Izimu is a great entry level DH bike and you can find then going for good deals locally. A great bike to get you going with DH. Not a great bike for enduro style events.

2. You Fourstroke is fine for checking out a couple of more technical events. I would suggest you just ride this bike at one or two events and get a feel for what you'll be looking for. Dropping cash now and then realising you're on the wrong bike can be a costly mistake. I'd suggest you go to an event (like Hakahana or one of the KZN dh/enduro weekends) and come have a look and ride a couple bikes to get a better feel for what you're after. Most guys will happily let you pedal about on their bikes.

3, Tubes or tubeless is up to you. I run tubeless on all my bikes and the chance of punctures and or snake bites is reduced BUT they are more of a hassle if something goes wrong or if you need to change tyres on the weekend due to changing weather conditions (like mud).

4. Flats or clipless is up to you. Ride what you feel most comfortable with. Riding flats will not suddenly turn you into a skills guru and riding cleats will not suddenly make you feel one with the bike. 

5. The backpack is for spares that you think you may need, it doesn't need to be an MTB brand but the industry ones are often better thought out than normal daypacks, BUT you pay for this 'thought'. So you have to make that call. Also, it needs to carry your hydration needs and any food you may want. Keep in mind that the enduro events are mostly either up and or down so don't expect long flats where you can zone out and recover. Prepare for a fairly strenuous 2 - 3 hr ride with no water tables available.

Like GLuvsMTB says, consider what kit you will want to wear to help you incase of a fall. For enduro helmet (open face) is mandatory, but everything else is your personal preference. The norm seems to be knee pads at a minimum.

For DH fullface helmet, long sleeve top (or elbow guards) and knee pads (or long pants).

@pistonpomp

Will be at Hakahana trails on Sunday. More than welcome to join us.

Ai sorry boet, I'm in the good 'ol Boland and busy with a harvest here.

Hey pistonpomp

Hopefully some more info for you...

1. An Izimu is a full DH bike so if you're planning to do more enduro style events then pedalling this beast to the start of each stage will require a lot of effort. Chances are you'll be pushing it up the majority of climbs. That said the Izimu is a great entry level DH bike and you can find then going for good deals locally. A great bike to get you going with DH. Not a great bike for enduro style events.

2. You Fourstroke is fine for checking out a couple of more technical events. I would suggest you just ride this bike at one or two events and get a feel for what you'll be looking for. Dropping cash now and then realising you're on the wrong bike can be a costly mistake. I'd suggest you go to an event (like Hakahana or one of the KZN dh/enduro weekends) and come have a look and ride a couple bikes to get a better feel for what you're after. Most guys will happily let you pedal about on their bikes.

3, Tubes or tubeless is up to you. I run tubeless on all my bikes and the chance of punctures and or snake bites is reduced BUT they are more of a hassle if something goes wrong or if you need to change tyres on the weekend due to changing weather conditions (like mud).

4. Flats or clipless is up to you. Ride what you feel most comfortable with. Riding flats will not suddenly turn you into a skills guru and riding cleats will not suddenly make you feel one with the bike. 

5. The backpack is for spares that you think you may need, it doesn't need to be an MTB brand but the industry ones are often better thought out than normal daypacks, BUT you pay for this 'thought'. So you have to make that call. Also, it needs to carry your hydration needs and any food you may want. Keep in mind that the enduro events are mostly either up and or down so don't expect long flats where you can zone out and recover. Prepare for a fairly strenuous 2 - 3 hr ride with no water tables available.

Like GLuvsMTB says, consider what kit you will want to wear to help you incase of a fall. For enduro helmet (open face) is mandatory, but everything else is your personal preference. The norm seems to be knee pads at a minimum.

For DH fullface helmet, long sleeve top (or elbow guards) and knee pads (or long pants).

Thanx super mil, really good info here!!

My BMC is L frame and I am 1.8m tall and that frame really feels too big for me. I replaced my M frame for the L and till this day regret it.

Other thing - my current bike's wheelset is mavic crossmax. Good and strong enough for enduro? 

My BMC is L frame and I am 1.8m tall and that frame really feels too big for me. I replaced my M frame for the L and till this day regret it.

Other thing - my current bike's wheelset is mavic crossmax. Good and strong enough for enduro?

Try a very short stem, 40mm, might do the trick.

Done that, but I still feel a bit more unstable than on the medium. Said that, maybe it's the fear of falling because I broke my neck (and other things) 2 years ago in a bike accident and since then I'm more hesitant on technical sections.

Done that, but I still feel a bit more unstable than on the medium. Said that, maybe it's the fear of falling because I broke my neck (and other things) 2 years ago in a bike accident and since then I'm more hesitant on technical sections.

Well, if you are looking for a bike to suit I have a Cotic Rocket that might work? I'm a couple centimetres shorter than you, but I have very short legs. At any rate you lose nothing trying ?

Riding with clits? What type of riding are we talking about here?  

I also like to take a small spliff along in my pack, to enjoy somewhere along the trail.

:ph34r:

Just kidding.

I agree with everything Maniac Merv posted.

Spliff is a standard issue in most packs hence why omitted :)  - best taken just before the mad downhills