2016 FNB Wines2Whales

SteveS

So if you got to the traffic in, and you want to overtake and at that moment the person in the front of you see a rock and changes lines, not track(as in dual track) cause some places there is only one line to ride due to obstructions. 

Is it there duty (to check for you) or YOUR duty to anticipate that?

I always thought the word "keep your line" only belongs on the road.

bunny hop? I am no pro so i dont know. If i am the guy and there is an obstacle in my way i can't get over past clear what ever and i need to change lines i will always first check. I dont want to take anyone out nor do i want to be taken out.

I promise you if someone takes me out on day 1 of w2w because their *** riding he will feel it. But also in the same breath, when i pass another rider from behind i call it, coming left or coming right...purely because i do not want to get taken out by someone changing their lines without checking if its clear.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my comments about my first w2w:

Is jy nie bietjie hard op die agterste ryers nie?

Sure, party het nie die skill om als te ry nie. Dis hoekom hulle on die laaste groep ry. Berispe hulle as hulle in B of C sulke k@k aanjaag. Soos jy sê almal het dieselfde duur geld bt om daar te wees.

Do not enter this event if you are unfit, I really battled and then the single tracks became a nightmare..... I will have to HTFU and train harder. Cobus jy is n taai derduiwel respek!!!

Sure, party het nie die skill om als te ry nie. Dis hoekom hulle on die laaste groep ry. Berispe hulle as hulle in B of C sulke k@k aanjaag. Soos jy sê almal het dieselfde duur geld bt om daar te wees.

Ek het presies dieselfde gedink terwyl ek dit gedink het. Seker ook waar. Maar geniet mense dit om elke ding te loop as wat jy dit kon ry met n bietjie oefening?

Do not enter this event if you are unfit, I really battled and then the single tracks became a nightmare..... I will have to HTFU and train harder. Cobus jy is n taai derduiwel respek!!!

Hhahaha as dit nie vir my partner was nie sou ek dit nie gemaak het nie. maar soos my vrou sê, my naam is nie hardegat verniet nie!

Hi Guys,

Please can those with experience or advice comment away.

A mate and I got our hands on a last minute entry into the race, couldnt be more chuffed.

Neither of us have done a stage race away from good old Durbs.

So how di you guys do it?

​We have booked flights and flying with our bicycles is the only option at this stage.

Just let down tires little but fine to leave sealant in?

I leave my tyres at around 1.7bar. Deflate too much and Stans everywhere!

Will a hired Polo suffice to try fit both of us in and our bike boxes?

Yes. Make sure you get a hatchback. Knock back seats down and flatpack the 2x bike boxes. 2 x 100lt duffle bags on top of the boxes.

Where do we leave the bike boxes to use for the return trip?

Mark clearly with your race numbers and hand in at the Start, with packing tape, extra bubble wrap etc, taped inside the box.

​Is it possible to still book a car transfer thing to the finish?

Email the organizers.

Else have no idea how we getting ours there..

Accomodation the night before - somewhere super close to Lourensford I take it?

Erinvale is great, if you get stuck, pm me and I'll see if I can help with other options.

Thanks,

B

Ek het presies dieselfde gedink terwyl ek dit gedink het. Seker ook waar. Maar geniet mense dit om elke ding te loop as wat jy dit kon ry met n bietjie oefening?

Het jy in wit specialized kit gery op dag 2?

Ek stem saam met hom. Al klink dit hard.

As 'n persoon soveel geld belê (want dis 'n aardige bedrag,) maar weet sy/haar skills is nie goed genoeg nie, hoekom sal daai persoon nie gaan vir 'n skills klas nie.

Een of twee sessies saam met Joanna of Daniel Dobinson is genoeg om te weet dat jy enige obstacle op W2W kan ry. Ek weet dit, want ek het my vrou gestuur na 'n Joanna les en dit het die wêreld se verskil gemaak in haar selfvertroue op die fiets.

Ek sal sover gaan om te sê dat ek voorstel dat mense eerder vir skills klasse gaan as om massages te boek by n stage race.

ame="Nettie R" post="3001971" timestamp="1478524887"]

Aaaamen. It's always lekker to see so many people participating and getting excited about mtb but they do not focus on the technical side enough. I saw people lose spirit, confidence AND falling because they walked sections where its safer to ride. It is mountain biking after all.

It's very seldom that stage races have unrideable single track and w2w was perfect to the t. With a bit of practice or skill classes you could have tackled all. I admit I now love switchbacks (I sounded like a kid on xmas morning and got a few odd looks) so I had a blast of a weekend but Houwhoek got a bit too tight for me. I forewarned the guys behind and they waited a few secs and happiness all around. But at least try it.

On the other hand, have patience. Waiting a bit for the walkers to clear ahead, then u saddle up and tackle the obstacle/ bridge whatever the holdup was is way more efficient then tailgating them. I had a few irritated blokes wanting to move ahead and not wait a little, with a 'I told you so' result.

Fitness for better seeding is the best answer, but as a realistic girl I know I ain't bringing home no gold speed records soon. So ja next year I will be back and fitter, still in the mid batches.

But courtesy, mutual respect and just a few more friendly smiles will go a long way.

Good luck to all doing the Ride, hope you have an absolute blast

I don't think one should question why someone wants to walk a particular section, the same way one would not question why someone else would attempt a stage race if they aren't fit enough not to get stuck behind the walkers  :ph34r:

For some gaining sufficient skills to do W2W is not just a matter of a single skills course.  Sometimes people just have a psychological block against certain obstacles which will require way more practice and progression to overcome.  That doesn't mean that they cannot enjoy the rest of the trail.

We all enjoy different things about MTBing and the W2W is an amazing event.

/ Did the adventure and managed to walk very little

// But it took me a long time to get to this point so I have empathy for the process

I don't think one should question why someone wants to walk a particular section, the same way one would not question why someone else would attempt a stage race if they aren't fit enough not to get stuck behind the walkers  :ph34r:

For some gaining sufficient skills to do W2W is not just a matter of a single skills course.  Sometimes people just have a psychological block against certain obstacles which will require way more practice and progression to overcome.  That doesn't mean that they cannot enjoy the rest of the trail.

We all enjoy different things about MTBing and the W2W is an amazing event.

/ Did the adventure and managed to walk very little

// But it took me a long time to get to this point so I have empathy for the process

I think the point that was being made is that for the mid to back markers it is far cheaper to do a few skills clinics than to buy a training programme or pay for a physical trainer. You'll see a quicker improvement in your all-round riding with better skills too.

It also helps with the mental aspect of things, but then you have to trust the skills coach 100%.  

There is definitely not enough focus on skills. Think of something like skiing that also has a technical component to it. A Basic level of fitness is required to do the sport, but if you go skiing for the first time, invest in a day or 2 of skiing lessons. Your whole trip will be much more fun that way. You probably wont be doing the black slopes on your first trip, but those green lines should be a piece of cake.

I think the point that was being made is that for the mid to back markers it is far cheaper to do a few skills clinics than to buy a training programme or pay for a physical trainer. You'll see a quicker improvement in your all-round riding with better skills too.

It also helps with the mental aspect of things, but then you have to trust the skills coach 100%.

There is definitely not enough focus on skills. Think of something like skiing that also has a technical component to it. A Basic level of fitness is required to do the sport, but if you go skiing for the first time, invest in a day or 2 of skiing lessons. Your whole trip will be much more fun that way. You probably wont be doing the black slopes on your first trip, but those green lines should be a piece of cake.

I think it is an assumption that they didn't invest in skills. I know some of those back markers, and they have invested as much time in their technical ability as their fitness. For some it is not just a matter of a day or two's investment in a skills clinic to gain confidence, but a much longer process. And despite the fact that they may have walked many obstacles, they have had at least as much fun doing the event, but on their terms, and conqering fears which may seem trivial to others.

Anyone know where photos are available of the Adventure?

Www.jetlineactionphoto.com

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived