New Chain or whole new Drive Train?

PietSw

So my KHS Flite I bought for a bargain on the Hub Classifieds is second hand off course. So after washing her after the R4S on sunday, I noticed the following. The Chain seem to be quite badly stretched .

From what I can see the Cassette is not to badly worn, neither is my big ring. My Small ring is showing some Shark Fin patterns.

So my question is, based on the pictures what needs to be replaced (on a budget of course).

post-85213-0-65612400-1455698043_thumb.jpg

post-85213-0-11489300-1455698041_thumb.jpg

post-85213-0-05586300-1455698045_thumb.jpg

post-85213-0-23535300-1455698042_thumb.jpg

I would say as a starting point, your chain and small chainring need to be replaced. That is almost certain.

When you replace chain, if you decide not to replace cassette, you must be very observant of any funny behaviour origninating from you rear hub / cassette area. If there is any skipping, then there is a good chance that your cassette is also worn and also needs to be replaced. It sucks, I know, but that is what happens when somebody doesn't take car of their bike and lets the chain get too far worn.

And btw, that chain is incredibly elongated to sit like that on your large chainring! Must be past 1% worn. Chances are you cassette is poked as well as a result, even if it doesn't look like it right now.

Big blade doesn't look too bad . Was it recently replaced ??

Looks like you may need to replace the small blade .

If you replace the chain , chances are the cluster will need to be replaced at the same time .

If you don't replace the cluster , but do the chain , you may be back at your lbs sooner rather than later to replace the cluster .

If it is in your budget , do the cluster at the same time .

Chances are more than just the chain needs to be replaced. But I would still suggest just replacing the chain first. If immediately after replacing the chain it slips or sucks, replace what is slipping or sucking. After this step you should keep an eye on the rate that your chain is wearing out. If it wears out very quickly replace the rest of the drivetrain and install another new chain.

Just keep checking the rate at which your chain is wearing out. Honestly though that chain should probably be in the Guinness book of records for the longest chain ever. Odds are your entire drivetrain is buggered.

Best of luck.

Start with cheapest things and work you way upwards. Replace the chain and ride it. When the cluster is worn you will flattening in the areas indicated in the picture. I don't think the cluster looks bad. Ride it until it slips with a new chain on some of the cogs, then replace it.

I think the front blades you can use them until they are in shocking condition, replace them because they look bad, they still should not slip.

post-9767-0-44535400-1455699389_thumb.jpg

Big blade doesn't look too bad . Was it recently replaced ??

Looks like you may need to replace the small blade .

If you replace the chain , chances are the cluster will need to be replaced at the same time .

If you don't replace the cluster , but do the chain , you may be back at your lbs sooner rather than later to replace the cluster .

If it is in your budget , do the cluster at the same time .

If I had to guess, I just think that the previous owner did not spend too much time on the big ring.

what mileage can 1 expect from a cassette and chainrings ? If it is maintained properly - washed and lubed regularly

Okay, So the first and most important thing at this stage (and a short term solution) would be to replace the chain... And then have a look at the other things if and when they give problems. 

martinpe, so what you are saying is that one can literally use the front rings until they look a lot worse than what mine are? Won't this then also speed up the chain wear?

As far as the rings go, I might one day look at oval rings, so for now, if i can stay on these two, i will.

I wouldn't change anything at the front, I've ridden chainrings that look much worse than those shown in the photos.

The chain is stuffed, replace it. If gear changes are acceptable afterwards, leave it at that. If not, change the cassette before it damages the new chain.

Okay, So the first and most important thing at this stage (and a short term solution) would be to replace the chain... And then have a look at the other things if and when they give problems. 

martinpe, so what you are saying is that one can literally use the front rings until they look a lot worse than what mine are? Won't this then also speed up the chain wear?

As far as the rings go, I might one day look at oval rings, so for now, if i can stay on these two, i will.

Only once I changed my front chain rings on a bike that I had been riding for about 6 or 7 years. Basically I fitted new chain rings I could see there was too much movement in the chain across the front chain ring.

The main thing that speeds up chain wear is dirty chains. I only swap cassettes and chain rings when it affects performance, basically slipping gears and not changing properly when you have new cables and new chain. I change my cables a lot, maybe twice a year. Chains about every two years on the road bike. Once a year on MTB.

Edited by martinpe

Just had my chain and cassette changed and bike serviced yesterday .Super excited this morning at 4.30 . Only 400m down the road and the chain breaks and falls off.Total let down.Nothing like walking to work in the dark.

can we dumb this down for a second (sorry about the hijack) - what's this talk about shark fin patterns and flattening.

in the picture - what are you guys looking at to say yeah - xyz is shot. 

personally apart from a wash and a lube of the chain - i don't do any other maintenance work - what should you be doing to preserve the lifespan of your chain /cassette? 

can we dumb this down for a second (sorry about the hijack) - what's this talk about shark fin patterns and flattening.

in the picture - what are you guys looking at to say yeah - xyz is shot. 

personally apart from a wash and a lube of the chain - i don't do any other maintenance work - what should you be doing to preserve the lifespan of your chain /cassette? 

I posted a pic where the biggest cog on the chain ring has some flat parts. It looks like someone has hit it with a small hammer on the part where the chain pulls against the teeth. At some point the chain could slip over when you stand up or push hard.

If you put your chain on the small ring front and small ring back, wind it backwards and it should not have a hop every few revolutions, but wind back smoothly. Once it starts hopping (basically the chain tries to climb up on top of a cog) then it has stretched too much. The chain should be able to be run backwards on the smallest cog at the back without any jumping.

I use a lot of lube on the chain and always clean with a bit of paraffin after a muddy or rainy ride. Then lube up again a couple of times. Chain should look relatively clean, but not spotless. Dirt is like grinding paste, so just keep the dirt off as much as you can.

post-9767-0-28833200-1455726479_thumb.jpg