Emperors Classic 2016 (road)

Dexter-morgan

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parking at East Rand Mall or K59 centre could work too, little warm up ride to the starts and mostly downhill back to your car

Is it safe? If the car gurads or anyone else around at that time see you busy getting ready and they realise you doing the race they will know they got a few hours without you coming back. I don't know that parking. Is it open parking? But otherwise it's a good idea, saves the stress of a traffic jam before and afterwards.

The new route will be faster as it takes out the hills in Heidelberg and Duduza - it's a quick run around the block, back in time for tea and medals.

Not optimal from a safety point of view. Those hills were the only places where the bunches broke up a bit. 

Will something be done about the parking this year , Last we sat in the queue outside Emperors for so long we missed all the long distance starts and had to do the short distance.

Hi Hillel - Quite a few years I've parked in an industrial area just across the R24 off Griffiths Rd, less than a km to the start.  It's a real nonsense otherwise.

Is it safe? If the car gurads or anyone else around at that time see you busy getting ready and they realise you doing the race they will know they got a few hours without you coming back. I don't know that parking. Is it open parking? But otherwise it's a good idea, saves the stress of a traffic jam before and afterwards.

That would be a concern and a very valid one, I'd say

I'm also cycling from home, which gives a nice round 150km for the day with nearly 898m of elevation gain (+/- 545m on the route).

The route may be flat(ish) but I suspect the wind could play it's part in the second half where most of the 545m of elevation gain is.

That would be a concern and a very valid one, I'd say

But flip no where is safe actually. Raced DualX at ARC roodeplaat last year(or 2 years ago?) and when I got back to my car there was a guy standing not far from me with just his bike and bag. Car had been stolen during the race. And that's inside the property of the event.

Prevailing winds blow from NW-NNW-N which means a tailwind heading out, and a cross/headwind coming back.

Forecasts for the weekend shows a SW-SSW-S wind direction, which means a headwind going out and a tailwind coming home. Obviously it's mother nature, so she can change any time between now and race day.

If this is the case, the drag (5Km) used on the Carnival City Macsteel race from the 4-way stop to Heidelberg will be into the wind (and into the left shoulder). Gutters will be on the right (white line), so I expect there to be some action in the licensed bunches on this section.

For the open groups... matches - don't burn them too early as the tailwind isn't strong enough to push one up the drags coming home (nothing much above 2%, so it really is a flat race). 

Lastly, the first 1/3 (30km) has 120m of elevation gain, compared to the final 60Km with 430m.

% Grade for each drag is as follows:

post-1372-0-72898500-1459771006_thumb.png

The start time spreadsheet and split time breakdown on the race website has Geralds name written all over. THANKS Gerald.

I said it would take a seriously big pro for me to do this race again and it was Geralds involvement that did it for me. So ASG can thank Gerald for at least 1 entry(Ok i'm lucky my team paid my entry but I still would have said i'm not keen to race out of principle).

The start time spreadsheet and split time breakdown on the race website has Geralds name written all over. THANKS Gerald.

I said it would take a seriously big pro for me to do this race again and it was Geralds involvement that did it for me. So ASG can thank Gerald for at least 1 entry(Ok i'm lucky my team paid my entry but I still would have said i'm not keen to race out of principle).

post the link to the page please kind Sir .

Can I collect a number for someone else that cant get to the registration? If so whats required?

Just their name and race number.

Where on the website?

Archived