MTB Wheelset.....what to get???

AllAboutRides

Hi there,

I'm currently in the market for a new wheelset, obvious choice would be a carbon set, but that is way to expensive.

My options are:

* Roval Alloy 

* American Classic Wide Lighting

* ZTR Crest / Archex / Flowex

American Classic Race

Hope you guys can help.

I went for the American Classic Wide Lightnings, and so far, after about 500km, I have no complaints. They're stiff and round :) and make even a 29x2.1 tyre nice and "fat". Whether grip is actually better or not I can't judge, I certainly feel as though my Maxxis Ardent's are gripping better than when I had them on my DT Swiss wheels. Flowex would be my next choice if I were to kill these. My 2c worth.

Hi there,

I'm currently in the market for a new wheelset, obvious choice would be a carbon set, but that is way to expensive.

My options are:

* Roval Alloy 

* American Classic Wide Lighting

* ZTR Crest / Archex / Flowex

American Classic Race

Hope you guys can help.

Take it consideration what type of riding you will be doing before buying.

Are you going to be putting the wheels through their paces on rock gardens/drops/etc. or will you do more cruising that doesn't involve as much stress on the wheels?

I have Stans Arch EX on Stans hubs and I love them.

Check out Carbonality for Carbon rims. I bought a set in Jan last year.

R4000 to my door.

Built them up on Hope hubs with Wheelsmith spokes.

I've done:

1x Trans Karoo, 1 x 100 Miler, 2 x 24Hr races, various other shorter events.

8000km of traning. Couldn't be happier.

I have about 4000km on my wide lightnings and they are still running great. Dinged the rear rim on my first ride on them, hasn't given me any problems. Ride 21psi rear and 20 front on 2.3in tyres, have maningi grip. I ride in the magaliesberg, lots of loose rock and plenty of loose silica on the trails.

As far as I know Wide Lighting is obviously Wider than the AM Race Wheelset, but the Race is way lighter than the WL

130grms difference per set, Wide Lightnings dwarf the AC Race in durability and value for money