My commute : Radiokop to Sandton ... and the return trip in video

mudda

Hi All,

I will make a few of these with some variations on the route, to help others who want to start commuting  ... 

My trip in is from around 6am ... my trip home is from around 4pm ...

I used a Garmen virb for the footage ...

This is the trip into Sandton ...

https://youtu.be/x4nLSvKiXT4

Very similar to my route except for:

1. I use Scott past the new Virgin Active and then a Left on Dale Lace which becomes CR Swart (Staying off Christiaan de Wet and Beyers). I see you used it for getting home.

2. Cut through Strydom Park to use Hammer/Oxford rather than Rocky

3, With Republic/William Nicol I stay on the left/east using Mattie/9th to head into Sandton at Grayston/West. Prefer staying off William Nicol as far as possible.

For some reason it takes me at least 10 minutes longer to get back home, I blame all the climbing at the end...

Yeah, dale lace for home ... in the morning to work Christian de wet is faster ... in the afternoon its a nightmare with taxis and traffic ...

here is the route map

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/mudda007/sandtonroutemap.png

here is the route profile

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/mudda007/routeProfile.png

For some reason it takes me at least 10 minutes longer to get back home, I blame all the climbing at the end...

Plus the heat and having put in a full day at the office will factor into it too.

How long does it take you on average?

I have been commuting to Braamfontein for a while, but I am starting a new job in Sandton next month. 

Takes me about 55 minutes to get to work in the mornings when I commute by bicycle. Afternoons at least 65 minutes. Traffic is not really a problem, but I think you tend to go faster when the cars are very slow.

Nice videos....know those roads well.

Enjoy coming up CR Swart in the arvie when all the cars are standing still.

Just like going down Ysterhout in the morning and up Rabie while the cars are standing still.

Been doing a couple of commutes lately too. Ysterhout then right on rabie, all the way up to malibongwe using the wee bit of cycling lane up to randburg highschool. Past the linden copshop. Then down first, Rustenburg through greenside at doppio. Past zoo lake up through saxonwold to the office just off oxford.

Takes me just under an hour in the morning. And just over an hour in the pm.

Quicker thatn the cage in both instances.

Archived