[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when they build brand new track for an event in the winter because all that loose sand turns into the kakest mud in the world. But my drivetrain is already past its expiry date so it wont hurt my pocket, just not looking forward to all the chainsuck.

Was planning on going 1x after weekend, maybe should consider it before.

It was a real mudfest in 2014, that was the last time I did the 75K.

Winter is the ideal time to buy new track because the rain helps the track settle. That bit of the 50K I rode on Saturday was pretty solid. It was built about a week before and had rain Friday night. When I went up it on Saturday afternoon it was dry enough to ride without making deep tracks. 

Loads of rain predicted for this week - how well do these trails dry out, or handle the rain.  Or does this promise to be a mud fest galore... :eek:

Saturday and Sunday looks a bit sunny though so hopefully it dries up a bit.

And sunny today, rain tomorrow (Thursday) and then no rain Friday, Saturday or Sunday -

And sunny today, rain tomorrow (Thursday) and then no rain Friday, Saturday or Sunday -

I have learned to only trust windguru and they predict rain until tomorrow lunch time and then the temp has dropped from a high mid 20s for sunday to currently 19 max. Basically no wind so it will be a nice day out on the bike if the mud behaves.

I am starting in the first group of the 40k, going to get dropped in the first corner, again.

Don't worry the okes in front of you will be held up in bottlenecks by the slow 60km riders, giving you chance to catch up  :ph34r:

I am starting in the first group of the 40k, going to get dropped in the first corner, again.

That climb as you approach Coetzenburg is the first separator of racing snakes vs endurance riders. 

I'm glad I get to ride it every day on my commute home  ^_^

post-38519-0-29891500-1469695933_thumb.jpg

That climb as you approach Coetzenburg is the first separator of racing snakes vs endurance riders. 

I'm glad I get to ride it every day on my commute home  ^_^

attachicon.gifHome.jpg

ja i was checking out lsat years strava profiles for the guys that did the 40 and i was thinking i will get dropped there. and then not to talk about that botsmanskop climb....but alteast thats 99% of the climbing done for the 40.

On the 40K and 60K I'd say Botsmanskop is the hardest part. Last year I really kaked af there because it was the first time I went up it on my 1x setup (32t x 36t). This year I am slightly better equipped with 42t at the back, but onthe 75K the hardest is Dirtopia's home trail on Klapmust koppie. 

The climb on the other side of the R304 is nice and gradual. I ride up it every second week on my way to Bottelary. However seeing as you hit that with less than 10K to go you will be down on power as you climb the 1.3k stretch. 

My son will be among that first group in the 42.  It is usually a mad dash that first km.  In the Grabouw Trailseeker he dropped his chain in that first km.  In the time it took him to fix the problem, 10 riders passed him and he never saw them for the rest of the race.