RIFLE

mon-goose

Correct.

Just as the R1 was an exact copy of the FN, with a few small adaptions for "our" purposes, and better manufacturing quality. 

DENEL/Armscor did build some exceptional weapons. 

A lot of what we built were designs from elsewhere that we adapted and often improved, but we also did a few unique things:

Not many people even know about it, but I think that the Lyttleton / Musgrave .308 single shot target rifle will for ever be renowned for its extreme accuracy. Perhaps that is the one thing we built that was entirely our own idea?The action was over designed and looked like something that could serve as an axle for a 4x4. That made it as solid, stiff and rigid as they come with huge locking lugs. Lyttletons thick barrel worked extremely well in combination with it. Of course it was ugly, but if I have to pick something in a .308 to compete at 1000 metres, that will be it! Even today! Just imagine what we could do building it today in something like a 338 Lapua or a 6.5mm Creedmoor.      

post-17716-0-89267800-1569516546_thumb.jpg

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of what we built were designs from elsewhere that we adapted and often improved, but we also did a few unique things:

Not many people even know about it, but I think that the Lyttleton / Musgrave .308 single shot target rifle will for ever be renowned for its extreme accuracy. Perhaps that is the one thing we built that was entirely our own idea?The action was over designed and looked like something that could serve as an axle for a 4x4. That made it as solid, stiff and rigid as they come with huge locking lugs. Lyttletons thick barrel worked extremely well in combination with it. Of course it was ugly, but if I have to pick something in a .308 to compete at 1000 metres, that will be it! Even today! Just imagine what we could do building it today in something like a 338 Lapua or a 6.5mm Creedmoor.      

Those were decent guns indeed. Two of my friends are still using their Musgrave .308's with RSA single shot actions for Bisley. Very accurate rifle's.

Those were decent guns indeed. Two of my friends are still using their Musgrave .308's with RSA single shot actions for Bisley. Very accurate rifle's.

I regret not buying one when I had the chance. I had one on long term loan and thought it would always be available to me........mistake! :(

I have RSA plankgeweer.

With a Ferlach barrel. It still shoots 1/2moa groups to this date. (I added a scope)

They also came out with Musgrave and later Lyttleton barrels as you have stated.

The own idea maybe a bit borrowed from the Mauser K98 action. Two large opposing locking lugs and large non-rotating extractor. But with improved lock time, safety, rigidity and trigger.

hey guys. I'm still looking for a good secondhand rifle silencer with a 1x14 thread. If anyone has one please let me know. I'm in CT area

I am waiting for my license to come through but have started loading some rounds with a friend. He purchased the primers and powder and has kept the rounds at his place as I'm not allowed to without a license. But am I allowed to purchase primers without a license? Or do I need him to buy it

I am waiting for my license to come through but have started loading some rounds with a friend. He purchased the primers and powder and has kept the rounds at his place as I'm not allowed to without a license. But am I allowed to purchase primers without a license? Or do I need him to buy it

You need a valid licence for both powder and primers.

I'm looking for a silencer with a 1x14 thread. If anyone has a secondhand one please let me know. Not looking to spend too much as it's my first rifle and still getting into everything. I stay in CT area

I recently had a talk about suppressors with a good friend whose opinion I value very highly on all things to do with rifles and shooting. I told him what I said earlier in this thread. Why I'm not keen on them and why I don't own one and don't plan on getting one........

.........I got shocked silence and then I got lectured severely for being a stupid grumpy old dinosaur fossil who should wake up, get with it and move with the times and the technology!

According to him, and I can vouch for his marksmanship, he recons that suppressors made him much more accurate than ever before. His suppressors also function as muzzle breaks, so it reduces felt recoil with between 30 and 50%! Less kick = less flinch = more trigger control  = more accuracy!

There you have it! So, don't mind me, just ignore my old fashioned earlier opinion. Get one, (even if it is ugly). See, I cannot help my old biased self! :blush:

I recently had a talk about suppressors with a good friend whose opinion I value very highly on all things to do with rifles and shooting. I told him what I said earlier in this thread. Why I'm not keen on them and why I don't own one and don't plan on getting one........

.........I got shocked silence and then I got lectured severely for being a stupid grumpy old dinosaur fossil who should wake up, get with it and move with the times and the technology!

According to him, and I can vouch for his marksmanship, he recons that suppressors made him much more accurate than ever before. His suppressors also function as muzzle breaks, so it reduces felt recoil with between 30 and 50%! Less kick = less flinch = more trigger control  = more accuracy!

There you have it! So, don't mind me, just ignore my old fashioned earlier opinion. Get one, (even if it is ugly). See, I cannot help my old biased self! :blush:

I despised silencers. Until I went for a hearing test.

100% true that it does not silence a rifle. The supersonic crack cannot be silenced. BUT it reduces the noise. Ear plus does not fully protect a person. Because of the bone conduction of the sound (through your skull) .

And then there are the kids. The less kick and the less noise improves their accuracy dramatically. Of course they wear hearing protection as well.

The boom reduction is very noticeable on indoor ranges. It also makes friends. Where rifles with regular muzzle brakes makes enemies of the other guys on the range. 

And then there is the possible damage of the crown of the barrel because of overheating is you don't allow for cooling between shots. The suppressor traps some of the heat.

Heavy suppressors also makes a very light rifle top heavy if you carry it with a sling over your shoulder.

hey guys. I'm still looking for a good secondhand rifle silencer with a 1x14 thread. If anyone has one please let me know. I'm in CT area

• 1 month later...

so I've pretty much got everything i need to starting shooting as soon as my license is approved. I've got a silencer, loaded 100 rounds and all sorts of other stuff. The next item I'm on the look for is a silencer cover to reduce the effects of the heat. Has anyone got some recommendations on inexpensive options.