RIFLE

mon-goose

Buy now; you will only have your license in a year’s time the way things are going ????

Can you do a license before buying? Or is the license for a specific firearm? Or is that competency you do before hand.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you do a license before buying? Or is the license for a specific firearm? Or is that competency you do before hand.

Have to buy first; license is issued for a specific firearm. Competency is split into 3 categories ( Handgun, shotgun, rifle) and needs to be done before you can apply for a firearm license . (Obviously you only need the competency relevant to the type of firearm you want)

Edited by Craai

So a massive learning day today. Finally got to the range. 15 rounds later all over the place and every time we adjust the scope it's worse. Eventually figure out the scope is side ways. So instead of adjusting elevation we're adjusting the laterally movement when we think we're adjusting lateral movement we're actually adjusting elevation. So sort that out. Next 30 rounds also all over. About to pack up and realised silencer is loose. Tighten that and get a good grouping of 6 rounds very close to centre. But only at 50m. Ran out of time to take it out further. So super frustrating but a good learning experience and fortunately I haven't spent too much for rounds yet. Next time will try quickly out to 100 and 200 not making the same mistakes

Made my name arse at the club over the weekend with the .22.

Stripped the rifle down and cleaned it on Saturday for some Sunday fun.I start shooting at 25m and after 10 rounds it looked like i was shooting a shotgun.Been sick for 2 weeks and thought it surely cant impact my shooting so drastically at such a short distance.Another 5 shots and just as bad.Now i know that if it was me then i should be getting a grouping somewhere on the paper. and not flying all over the place.Check the rifle and realised that i had just finger tightened the scope rings onto the rail and never torqued them up or Locktite them.Ended up buying a round of drinks afterwards.

If you really want to go for bigger game with a 270 consider Monolithic, important is shot placement , Google Kriek Bullets , i use them in my .223 Win and are very happy with the results, going to use them in my .270 this coming hunting season.....NO MEAT DAMAGE , BUT shot placement  very important....you can easily down a Eland with them. 

anyone know where I can get an MDT oryx long action chassis for a howa? No one in SA seems to have and apparently only coming in later this year?

anyone know where I can get an MDT oryx long action chassis for a howa? No one in SA seems to have and apparently only coming in later this year?

Do you know Pieter Malan?  Impact pro shop. See if he has.

do know him, previously only had the short action chassis but will check with him if he perhaps has any long action i. Thanks

Question

I’ve done some loading to identify the optimal load for my rifle. It’s a 270 howa. I’ve loaded 130 gr bullets with S361 powder.

Started just below maximum recommended grain capacity and went down to just above minimum. Loaded 3 rounds at 0.5gr intervals

My thinking is measure fps for the 3 rounds at each load interval and then average the speeds at each load. Then graph it and identify the plateau as which the increase in load doesn’t change speed much.

I’ve played around with an excel template and will populate after shooting and would appreciate feedback

Load dev template.xlsx

Question

I’ve done some loading to identify the optimal load for my rifle. It’s a 270 howa. I’ve loaded 130 gr bullets with S361 powder.

Started just below maximum recommended grain capacity and went down to just above minimum. Loaded 3 rounds at 0.5gr intervals

My thinking is measure fps for the 3 rounds at each load interval and then average the speeds at each load. Then graph it and identify the plateau as which the increase in load doesn’t change speed much.

I’ve played around with an excel template and will populate after shooting and would appreciate feedback

It was mentioned a couple of times here on this thread. Do your self a favour join Jaracal there are really nice people there that will assist you in getting a load for your rifle. With their help i found a perfect load for my 223 after 15 shots...............12 mm groupings