Cleaning a chain

RbelYous

wrong question....

A better question is how many years in my current set of BB's, wheelbearings, pivot linkages,headsets?

Tell us... one way or the other it adds up to the same thing

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell us... one way or the other it adds up to the same thing

it doesn't but anyhow

the answer is years. 

wrong question....

A better question is how many years in my current set of BB's, wheelbearings, pivot linkages,headsets?

The headsets.... that's from your sweat dripping (running) off your chin :whistling:

where do you get a big enough pot for your bike

net n grappie hoor

c1c7819d52b38dc2f3063db15939c0c7.jpg

Will still need to take the wheels off though, boiling water and bearings :thumbdown:  

Seriously though. If you take a kettle with boiling water ant pour it onto the chain without taking it off and the boiling water goes onto your frame won't it damage it?

Edited by Hennie VR

I use waterbased degreaser you get from game/midas/checkers. Use it in a little spraybottle. Works like a charm. Spray on and rinse off

best way ever: I never remove a chain, too much risk!! bottle of PREPSOL from Midas, and the wire braai brush, dribble PREPSOL onto gears and chain, allow to soak, dip wire brush in stinking hot water, hold against cassette and rotate cranks backward... You will not ever get a cleaner chain!!

took me more time to read through this thread than what it took me to clean my chain and lube it yesterday .... even spoilt the old bike and gave her a wash whilst at it!

Roadie:

Every 100km of riding - put some chainwax on each individual chain link

After every 200km of riding - I will clean chain using the park tool jobbie - with Engine Degreaser as the solvent. Wheels then come off and cassette gets cleaned with Engine degreaser too. Chain is then lubed using chain wax  - my bike is ultra silent

After every 800km of riding - chain comes off bike - gets thrown in a plastic bottle with degreaser and shaken about. Do this twice. When I do this, I also sorta dismantle the rear derailleur too in that the jockey wheels  come off an get individually cleaned. What this means is I do this once a month and the bike gets a really deep cleaned everywhere else too.

I haven't had mechanicals with my bike yet - 3 years going strong - or perhaps it's the Canyon. I have replaced Chain once

I remove the chain to clean it and always mark it to make sure I put it back on same way as it came off. Is this necessary?

Recently while pondering the difference between chain degreaser, chain cleaner and and and ..... The bike shop guy said to me don't bother just use paraffin, so that's what I've been doing and it works a charm, but I don't take the chain off simply because that seems something I'll take off and can't put back.

On an aside, what's the responsible way of disposing dirty paraffin?

Dirty paraffin. Pour in a bottle. The solids will all settle out leaving clear liquid you can decant and reuse.

It gradually gets more and more greasy with accumulated chain lube but thats not a bad thing at all. Pre lubes the chain as you wash. PS use wet lube as it dissolves nicely in paraffin. The wax stuff not so much.

Eventually I just pour the dregs in a tin can and burn it. Or take it to your local garage and ask to pour it in with their used motor oil....which gets collected by waste oil recyclers.