Another Cycle Club hogging the roads - Lanseria 3 April

Ispeed_V

This is another rant of a cycle club hogging the road.

Pic was taken just near the back entrance to Lanseria at around 7.40am

They were literally taking up the entire lane and could  not be bothered about traffic trying to pass.

post-8350-0-74046400-1459746649_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very sorry, we won't do it again.

Lets close the thread while it is still early

You should show a picture of the whole road so WE can JUDGE exactly how much SPACE they consumed

You should show a picture of the whole road so WE can JUDGE exactly how much SPACE they consumed

If someone has time during their coffee they can find the location on google maps :) 

A group that big can not ride in a single file, its more dangerous for the group because cars than take forever to overtake the entire group safely. Sit behind the group and overtake when its safe.

Riding what looks like 4 or a 5 abreast suggests that they were probably taking up more space than you should have.

Was it an issue on this particular road.? I don't know, but it possibly instils bad habits.

Unfortunately the sort of behaviour we see from too many large groups/clubs.

I came over Suikerbossie yesterday to find the entire yellow lane (and a bit of the road) blocked by a group who decided it's good place to stop and chat.

Anybody passing had to veer out into the road.

Aah there are so many of these that I dont even bother posting about them any more. 

This is the section after the downhill when you have gone over the N14 and just before the chicken farm where the road narrows to single lane (turn on RHS to Lanseria)

Maybe post or prior to this on the same loop the Crapi (sorry Capri) Wheelers came past me doing the same thing on the same section . With a follow bakkie from the security company to protect them and ensure that they irritated the sh*t out of the following motorists who were trying to get to Lanseria for their flights.

My logic is that Darwin had a lot to say about how evolution is a bitch when it comes to down selecting down the people that are stupid.

A group that big can not ride in a single file, its more dangerous for the group because cars than take forever to overtake the entire group safely. Sit behind the group and overtake when its safe.

Really,

Not sure what you are saying?

So do cyclists get to unilaterally vary the rules of the road because they are cyclists?

Dewalt is right.

What if this was a truck, or slow moving tractor? You would be annoyed and miss out on maybe 30 seconds, but you wouldn't Bitch and moan.

If this kind of group cycled in single/double file, it would be extremely dangerous to all involved. What's so wrong with being patient and taking a few more seconds to wait until it's safe to pass? And the comment about flights is stupid. If you haven't planned your day properly and accounted for things going wrong, why is it the cyclists fault that they are acting in a safe manner.

For any car trying to pass as close as possible or squeeze into space, they are in the wrong and putting everyone in danger.

Rant over, I guess.

If someone has time during their coffee they can find the location on google maps :)

Boeta, its not about location....evidence with the perpetrators in the photo on the road.

I'll buy you coffee with a mix of your choice if you can find a google map image with those cyclists in the image.... :P  

Shouldn't the group numbers be managed better.?

It's about intent. A truck or tractor is just getting from A to B, and they can't really help it.

Cyclists riding 5 abreast is them giving the middle finger to the rest of the road users. Cyclist really don't need to ride 5 abreast and shouldn't.

Dewalt is right.

What if this was a truck, or slow moving tractor? You would be annoyed and miss out on maybe 30 seconds, but you wouldn't Bitch and moan.

If this kind of group cycled in single/double file, it would be extremely dangerous to all involved. What's so wrong with being patient and taking a few more seconds to wait until it's safe to pass? And the comment about flights is stupid. If you haven't planned your day properly and accounted for things going wrong, why is it the cyclists fault that they are acting in a safe manner.

For any car trying to pass as close as possible or squeeze into space, they are in the wrong and putting everyone in danger.

Rant over, I guess.

I think its about the location - at that exact location the road goes much narrower.

Let me explain.

From the downhill over the N14 to the section at the lights alongside the chicken farm it narrows significantly to almost a single road with no shoulder. On either side there is a big shoulder or its even double alongside the chicken farm.

This is alongside the back entrance of Lanseria. Its a narrow section.

Also the guys come down that hill at speed on their superbikes on a sunday morning - plus the nutters who are late for flights are also cruising. And its a blind bend to the left and very fast and they are moving - really cruising - all the supercars and superbikes hit the right pedal there - so upwards of 120kmh easily to 200's. Its the first bit of the breakfast run where you are out of the burbs and can give it welly and its also blind and you have gone from a big yellow line to no shoulder so the cyclists are exposed for about 200 metres.

So you have a group that probably was okay cause they had  a big yellow line all of a sudden go through a narrow road section and instead of stringing out for a couple of hundred metres to make it safe they bunched.

As I said I was there and saw this exact bunch now I look at the photo at the same section - these are peaceforce jerseys. And I had the same thought - very dangerous - maybe because I know the route, but also they were all over the road - so I can verify and thought  this was crazy. With a Peaceforce security bakkie in tow.

SO maybe a storm in a teacup - my concern was about the fact that they dont understand how fast the superbikes and cars are coming through there - and if you have one thing that goes wrong i.e. they dont see them for some reason (tired after a long night raving on your Ducati with your mates - or the like) then you will kill a lot of people.

Like i said its a specific area on that route where there is risk - 200 metres either side its very safe - so the guys riding were really just being stupid and a ride captain could have fixed that.

We have all done it and learned. Hopefully people real;ize and fix it.

Dewalt is right.

Rant over, I guess.

BS. If they can't ride safely in single or double file then they should ride in smaller groups. When I'm about to drive somewhere important I certainly don't plan for a whole lane going at 25kph because of someone's hobby. A truck or tractor is a lot easier to understand and forgive because (a) it's typically going faster than your average cyclist (b) is typically being driven out of necessity and © will typically pull over a bit to let you pass, instead of swearing at you and claiming it is being persecuted. 

Archived