Wheel building

I know of 4 industrial spoke cutting and threading tools.  JB sold his to Cyclelab Fourways, Doug Patterson has one - maybe he has passed it on with the Pillar agency.  Kiwi and I each have one.

Thanks, will you take orders for spokes?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I have a deep respect for anybody that can successfully build a wheel. For me it is just magic.

For those that have the skills and are happy to part with it --- well done.

It's not often that I regret not living closer to civilization.

Sarge

Let me throw "spanner in wheel"

- The Wheelbuilder book is excellent, pay and download your copy

- The basic tool list in this thread is spot on but a tension meter is a luxury. It is interesting to check afterwards with a tension meter. the DT Swiss (if you can afford it) is a lovely quality instrument

- Patience, patience, patience

- I am also still learning and the books offer lots of tipe and tricks of the trade.

No problem at all.  I charge R3 per spoke to cut and thread yours or R20 per spoke (DB) with silver brass nipple cut to length.

If you want a quality wheelset build at a great price, take your wheels to David Marshall.

He has built several wheels for me and always does a fantastic job!

Who'd anyone say is best to go to in Cape Town? I have a great guy in Sommerset, but he's only available in office hours...and well work and all means I cannot get around there to drop off or pickup :(

New rims ERD is 563... The "old" wheelset is 6 months /500km, and ERD is 562. Can I reuse the spokes?

New rims ERD is 563... The "old" wheelset is 6 months /500km, and ERD is 562. Can I reuse the spokes?

Not really enough info to go on.  The ERD supplied with the rim is hardly ever correct and one can't assume the original spokes are the correct length either.  You need to measure the actual rim ERD and the hub flanges and use a decent spoke calculator to determine the spoke lengths, then you can measure the existing spokes and see if they will work.

Edited by PeterF

I am of the opinion that like many things not just anyone can build a wheel even with all the books and youtjoob videos available (that is safe and reliable) ..... like playing a musical instrument for example you need some inclination for it and there is some 'feel' involved?

yes yes yes my #flamesuit is on and zipped up

I am of the opinion that like many things not just anyone can build a wheel even with all the books and youtjoob videos available (that is safe and reliable) ..... like playing a musical instrument for example you need some inclination for it and there is some 'feel' involved?

yes yes yes my #flamesuit is on and zipped up

As musician without any talent I concur.

As musician without any talent I concur.

You and me both my friend, I do mess around on my 'axe' now and then but as my family 'kindly' put it for my 'enjoyment and their torment'  :whistling:

Not really enough info to go on. The ERD supplied with the rim is hardly ever correct and one can't assume the original spokes are the correct length either. You need to measure the actual rim ERD and the hub flanges and use a decent spoke calculator to determine the spoke lengths, then you can measure the existing spokes and see if they will work.

Understood. I tried a few calculators, 272mm all around from 2 different calculators which accept offset. Dtswiss calculator gave 273 for front drive and rear non drive but doesn't accept offset measurement.

Changed my mind about old spokes, want to go silver and DB. This will be my first wheelbuild, ordered all the stuff listed in op.

• 2 months later...

Such a nice feeling to send out a set that you are proud of.  I on the other hand have spent a lot of unproductive time on an Eurus "high tech" piece of ......  Spokes R250 ea but the rim "Unavailable as the new model is out".  We can give you a rear wheel at R9999 or a set at R15000.  Pricey pot hole.  

Oh for the days when 32 hole J bend double butted good quality wheels were considered desirable.

I want to build a wheelset with 20/24 holes Fr/Rr, should I go with straight pull hubs(straight pull spokes) or normal hubs with the flange(J bend Spokes).

Its a set for the road bike and I weigh about 70kgs. I would like to get the hubs but I need to choose between the 2 lacing patterns. I want a strong, racing wheelset

Price on the hubs are about the same whether normal flanged hub or straight pull specific

Thank you