Bike Hub Classified section (or should I not go there)

Jaws677

Double edged sword(sometimes you are a buyer and sometimes the seller)....its definitely in favour of the buyers though. They can offer lower, the seller can refuse or state that the item is non-neg. 

You should have a pinned thread on classifieds here :clap:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that the way it should be?

You decide what is the minimum you want and add a margin.

If your margin is zero, then so be it.

As a buyer, I would like the option to negotiate.

Of couorse everything in life is a negotiation - I just don't see the point of trying to "trick" you into a higher price and you "negotiating" me down to the right level. That's a Cajees tactic not mine...

Each to their own I suppose - I just don't agree with buyers expecting 20-30% less than whatever the seller's price is. If the price is fair to both parties it's a bit off sides to expect a price drop.

How long is a piece of string really. Pricing on anything used is pretty much arbitrary. Its always subject to opinion. Negotiating goes without saying for me. Whether buying or selling. When a buyer wants to negotiate. Most times he/she just wants bang for buck. It has nothing to do with implying what they propose as fair compensation. Just business.

No need to get upset or feel offended. Decline and move on.

What some seller's need to learn is the difference between intrinsic and market value. Selling a bike that's less than a few months old for 90% of the new models asking price. Don't be silly. Anyone with common sense would just buy a new bike. Unless its not available locally. Like a boutique import or something. I guess its case and point. Which means it has higher market value anyways.

Then there's trying to get your money back after blowing half your salary on upgrades. We know what they worth in the stores. But you're not the store now are you? If it breaks will you replace it? No? Then drop your price.

What's worse is inflated prices as a result of emotional attachment. Ads coupled with trivial descriptions of the proposed experience the bike offers in an attempt to justify price.

In the end people are entitled to ask and offer what they wish. Emotions have no place in business transactions.

Double edged sword(sometimes you are a buyer and sometimes the seller)....its definitely in favour of the buyers though. They can offer lower, the seller can refuse or state that the item is non-neg. 

I once had a guy low ball me at a quarter of what I thought was a pretty good price so I countered with double my original price. He was a little confused and used ugly words.

The item sold at asking price...

Chancers. Man I hate chancers. Especially when they tag on "CASH IN YOUR HANDS!!!!! Today only - offer ends at 5pm".

From all of this I conclude that some people use the classifieds to effectively run a trading business - looking for under priced stuff and re-selling or buying a full bike and  breaking it up to sell off the individual parts.

It seems that this is justified on the basis that that is how the market works. I am cool with Capitalism so fair play to them.

But, if you want to rely on the rules of the market to make your profit, you should also be paying Matt for the use of his infrastructure and site.

If not, why not ?

Perhaps there should be a section on the Hub for "traders" to advertise their wares and for Matt to charge for the service he delivers..

• 3 weeks later...

Buying a bike and then reselling for a profit - is that fair?

I've had an experience with an individual who snapped up a bike on the hub. Fair enough, he got there first.

What ticked me off was when I met to sell my bike to him (the irony), there was said bike in the back of the bakkie. When I asked him if I could buy the bike, he slapped on a R4000 profit on it without even touching it.

This was after he mistakenly paid me the bikes worth on top of my bike sale and I EFT ed the bikes worth back to him

Dunno - maybe a sale is a sale.

Was it the usual personage that engages in such practices?

Not sure who the usual is, but I assume so. Not a good reputation to have - especially when you are trying to sell to people. You build up a reputation.

I wonder if one of these guys are interested in buying my stumpy in the classifieds  :ph34r:

Buying a bike and then reselling for a profit - is that fair?

I've had an experience with an individual who snapped up a bike on the hub. Fair enough, he got there first.

What ticked me off was when I met to sell my bike to him (the irony), there was said bike in the back of the bakkie. When I asked him if I could buy the bike, he slapped on a R4000 profit on it without even touching it.

This was after he mistakenly paid me the bikes worth on top of my bike sale and I EFT ed the bikes worth back to him

Dunno - maybe a sale is a sale.

Had a tread on this as well.  Suspect a bloke bought a product then sold it for R800 more.  On a R1000 product.

come to think of it, this is not the first time a hubber has done this, snapped up real good deals and sold for profits... even the said hubber had a website where these things were sold!

come to think of it, this is not the first time a hubber has done this, snapped up real good deals and sold for profits... even the said hubber had a website where these things were sold!

Wut!? Link?

Archived