Riding very rocky single track

Quick release seat clamp: job done. and shouldn't cost too much

Dropper post is very nice, no question. But if you can't afford it, a quick release does the job. Assuming you are not trying to win any races

Exactly, I rode like that for years before getting a dropper. Yes it is a mission in a race.

But the cost of droppers has come down now that there are diff brands available if you ever decide you really need one.

Which you seemingly dont given what you mostly ride.

You just need the confidence adn technique. Temporarily dropping the post so you can more easily gain the skills will help.

If Nino can ride some of the **** he does with the post fully up then so can you...eventually :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Large frame 29er, dropper post and more practice.

Stop die hoorlosie!!

Trek AF plak toe. Alles klaar Der Kommisaar.

Exactly, I rode like that for years before getting a dropper. Yes it is a mission in a race.

But the cost of droppers has come down now that there are diff brands available if you ever decide you really need one.

Which you seemingly dont given what you mostly ride.

You just need the confidence adn technique. Temporarily dropping the post so you can more easily gain the skills will help.

If Nino can ride some of the **** he does with the post fully up then so can you...eventually :)

Not to sound like a stuck record but do you honestly think that anyone and everyone can 'eventually ride like Nino'? A pet subject for me, the limits that our physical, genetic or mental make up set us ....

Not to sound like a stuck record but do you honestly think that anyone and everyone can 'eventually ride like Nino'? A pet subject for me, the limits that our physical, genetic or mental make up set us ....

Well not on the uphills, but down...He's very very good but not unmatchable :)

Okay, so in summary:

To ride rocks, one needs the following?

A dropper post

A dropper post is not needed

a 26"

a 650B

a 29er

SPD pedals

flats

80mm stem

90mm stem

70mm stem

front braking

no front braking

walk the line

hop the line

speed

looseness

flex

hanging over the back wheel

wide bars

not so wide bars

a DH bike

200mm of travel

no travel

a HT

a full sus

a medium frame

a large frame

a XL frame - [edit]

Moridin, you're on your own boet. I am as confused as I've ever been. Next time I see a rock, iam just going to do what I've always done. Not think about it and just ride the damn thing.

Okay, so in summary:

To ride rocks, one needs the following?

A dropper post

A dropper post is not needed

a 26"

a 650B

a 29er

SPD pedals

flats

80mm stem

90mm stem

70mm stem

front braking

no front braking

walk the line

hop the line

speed

looseness

flex

hanging over the back wheel

wide bars

not so wide bars

a DH bike

200mm of travel

no travel

a HT

a full sus

a medium frame

a large frame

a XL frame - [edit]

Moridin, you're on your own boet. I am as confused as I've ever been. Next time I see a rock, iam just going to do what I've always done. Not think about it and just ride the damn thing.

Ha ha, in a nut shell

post-62386-0-84883600-1460626120_thumb.gif

Haha. You're funny. Smother the underlying issue with money..

If he is going to spend money on a stem, and new bars....I would rather spend the money on a dropper post, which make it easier to move on the bike and help his technique....follow the thread, no us continously repeating the same advice over and over.....i clever purchase now can save a lot of effort lower.... so hahaha

Guest notmyname

If he is going to spend money on a stem, and new bars....I would rather spend the money on a dropper post, which make it easier to move on the bike and help his technique....follow the thread, no us continously repeating the same advice over and over.....i clever purchase now can save a lot of effort lower.... so hahaha

Wrong.

or

just dont ride those rocky bits.

So you will

• save money (wont have to upgrade or change anything)
  • save skin and bones
  • save your ego

Pleasure bud

Haha. You're funny. Smother the underlying issue with money..

Yes, but....

We already have 7 bikes in the family that I have to keep on their two wheels.

4 MTBs, 2 roadies and a kid's bike.

My oldest son rides competitive, so that bike needs constant attention.  Besides that, he already have an XCO specced HT MTB and a carbon framed roady.  Now he also want a dual sus to do Enduro rides with.

I need serious sponsorship to keep my family spinning with happy faces.  :eek:

You can actually build a semi dropper post for about 50 bucks if you want.

BMC FourStroke 02, 2011 model. Here is a pic of it:

attachicon.gifDSC_1189.jpg

Suspension is:

Front:  Fox F-Series 32 FIT RL Remote 100mm

Rear: DT Swiss XM180

Above photo is with the 110mm stem.

Like the speakers  :-)

or

just dont ride those rocky bits.

So you will

• save money (wont have to upgrade or change anything)
  • save skin and bones
  • save your ego

Pleasure bud

You forgot:

• may as well ride on the road and be bored there

You can actually build a semi dropper post for about 50 bucks if you want.

How? I have two old ones lying around I can mess with...

As with all things its not just one factor but a combo of many. I am 1.88 m and ride an XL with a short stem and wide bars. Your bike looks great but sounds a bit small for you.  If I were you and depending on budget I'd look for a bigger frame to take those components or get a new bike 650 or 29 is all you'll get now in the shops anyway.   That said, this isn't really the most important issue. 

As someone else said, people rode rock gardens on 26ers for decades. Many of us still do. Most DH bikes were still 26 until 2 years ago. So the single biggest factor to look at is upping your technique. Rock gardens require the right mindset  -  confidence is key. Got that then pick your line(s) and maintain your speed. Too slow in and you may  never get out :-)

I have stood at the top of treehouse in cascades.........my aspirations of trying to ride like Nino ended right there.

Archived