Specialized bad after sale service.

Fat fish

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the thing with Specialized warranty "complaints" is that here is a company that sticks to its guns and upholds the policies set up by HQ, and people don't like to be told tough luck -  no warranty because of X,Y or Z. Like I said in the other warranties thread, other distributors are too scared/lazy/Financially unable, or otherwise to put up with the brand bashing being laid down.

I feel for the OP, I really do but he missed his opportunity to report it sooner, So lets say I buy a car and drive it for a few weeks, notice there is a rattle from the suspension but park it and do nothing about it for 2 years, then one day I drive it again and notice the rattle - take it in and get told sorry we can't replace your shocks because they are outside the two year warranty...same thing no?

Perhaps the thing with Specialized warranty "complaints" is that here is a company that sticks to its guns and upholds the policies set up by HQ, and people don't like to be told tough luck -  no warranty because of X,Y or Z. Like I said in the other warranties thread, other distributors are too scared/lazy/Financially unable, or otherwise to put up with the brand bashing being laid down.

I feel for the OP, I really do but he missed his opportunity to report it sooner, So lets say I buy a car and drive it for a few weeks, notice there is a rattle from the suspension but park it and do nothing about it for 2 years, then one day I drive it again and notice the rattle - take it in and get told sorry we can't replace your shocks because they are outside the two year warranty...same thing no?

What about the 5 year warranty?

There is no evidence that the problems are related to the paint.

There is also no evidence to say the dropouts are loose either thus the structural integrity of the frame is still (IMO) intact, otherwise the frame would have been replaced....

Edited by Skinnyone

Please stop reaching for unrelated examples. A suspension rattle is a not a little bubble under the paint in an area you are unlikely to inspect regularly or thoroughly. An automotive equivalent would be not noticing a bubble under the paint in the wheel arch where the anti chip coating was missed and you only notice the paint starting to flake off two years later when you inspect under the wheel arch while changing a wheel due to a puncture. Even then you have recourse because the inadequately applied anti chip coating is a manufacturing defect not a problem caused by the owner of the vehicle. That much maligned piece of legislation would provide you recourse.

There is also no evidence to say the dropouts are loose either thus the structural integrity of the frame is still (IMO) intact, otherwise the frame would have been replaced....

A loose dropout would constitute a frame failure.

Structural integrity of a structure is not gauged after the failure. Its determined before the failure if responsibility and accountability is of interest.

I know its Friday but please,.......really. stop making it up as you go along.

Edited by raptor-22

How is a dropout that holds your wheel on something that is unlikely to receive an inspection? Its not hidden (as per your example) its glaringly obvious!

But anyway as to your request i'll stop it now as we can agree to disagree all day....

a dropout locates the wheel. The axle and skewer retain the wheel. inspection of the area as per the manual, merely requests that the end user ensure the skewer is tightened correctly, not that the bonded in drop out is still bonded in. 

Thanks for raising that actually as it just highlights another area where bicycle manufacturers fail in their communication of what the intent of inspection is in this area. The fact that they fail to mention that the end user must check that the frame tubes are still glued together and bonded in parts still have structural integrity can be interpreted as the manufacturer assuming responsibility for the integrity o those items.

but then they neatly side step that by saying you ride their product at your own risk.....

lovely people

How is a dropout that holds your wheel on something that is unlikely to receive an inspection? Its not hidden (as per your example) its glaringly obvious!

But anyway as to your request i'll stop it now as we can agree to disagree all day....

What the OP wants proven is that it is not a paint issue, any end user has the ability to inspect paint. What problems lurk under the paint cannot be carried out by a user, i.e. hidden.

This thread has made for some interesting reading with some scientific and technical discussions on corrosion and other related topics.

This is all just academic as nothing changes the fact that

1. The frame is out of warranty

2. The warranty specifically excludes corrosion.

Further to this whole thing, the OP was happy with the warranty conditions when he bought the frame, why is he now complaining?

If he wasn't happy with the warranty conditions, then he shouldn't have bought the frame. If he didn't know the warranty conditions, he should either kick himself for not doing the proper research or kick the salesman at the bike shop for failing to inform him of the warranty conditions.

You cannot blame Specialized or accuse them of bad service. Actually their service was quite good. They still took the trouble to check the frame over, despite it being out of warranty and they still provided a timeous response and report. The fact that the OP didn't get his desired outcome, doesn't mean the service is bad.

This thread has made for some interesting reading with some scientific and technical discussions on corrosion and other related topics.

This is all just academic as nothing changes the fact that

1. The frame is out of warranty - Incorrect

2. The warranty specifically excludes corrosion.

Further to this whole thing, the OP was happy with the warranty conditions when he bought the frame, why is he now complaining?

If he wasn't happy with the warranty conditions, then he shouldn't have bought the frame. If he didn't know the warranty conditions, he should either kick himself for not doing the proper research or kick the salesman at the bike shop for failing to inform him of the warranty conditions.

You cannot blame Specialized or accuse them of bad service. Actually their service was quite good. They still took the trouble to check the frame over, despite it being out of warranty and they still provided a timeous response and report. The fact that the OP didn't get his desired outcome, doesn't mean the service is bad.

You didn't do the research either :whistling:

Frame has 5 year warranty :D  :P

Lunch time

You didn't do the research either :whistling:

Frame has 5 year warranty :D  :P

Lunch time

The problem as I see it as that because the OP took so long to have the bike assessed there is no way to confirm what went first. If it was the paint that went first causing water to enter and cause corrosion it is not a frame warranty. If he went within the paint warranty period they would have replaced as the issue first and foremost was with the paint. The subsequent damage to the frame is not a manufacturing defect, but occurred due to the paint issue.

This is my reason for going against the OP. The paint issue most likely caused the corrosion issue in the first place.

Case closed - have a nice weekend everyone. 

The problem as I see it as that because the OP took so long to have the bike assessed there is no way to confirm what went first. If it was the paint that went first causing water to enter and cause corrosion it is not a frame warranty. If he went within the paint warranty period they would have replaced as the issue first and foremost was with the paint. The subsequent damage to the frame is not a manufacturing defect, but occurred due to the paint issue.

This is my reason for going against the OP. The paint issue most likely caused the corrosion issue in the first place.

Case closed - have a nice weekend everyone. 

science fiction. Stop promoting that idea please. Even if the paint lifted, water would still have to get past the resin encasing the carbo, then would have to get between the carbon and dropout material which would imply more defects.

if it entered via a void in the carbon resin matrix, then that's a manufacturing defect.

if it entered via a unfilled gap between the dropout lug and carbon tube, then thats a manufacturing defect.

OP is guilty of nothing except buying a product in good faith. 

science fiction. Stop promoting that idea please. Even if the paint lifted, water would still have to get past the resin encasing the carbo, then would have to get between the carbon and dropout material which would imply more defects.

if it entered via a void in the carbon resin matrix, then that's a manufacturing defect.

if it entered via a unfilled gap between the dropout lug and carbon tube, then thats a manufacturing defect.

OP is guilty of nothing except buying a product in good faith. 

I get your point, but how difficult is it to prove and how often does something like this happen?