Advice for two newbies buying MTBs

Readsalot

We would appreciate and hope you can help us with some advice and feedback on our plans to buy mountain bikes:

My brother and I live in Centurion and are seriously considering taking the plunge and getting a couple of mountain bikes, both for fitness and for fun. We are quite similar in that we are both about 40, overweight (about 100kg when we should be about 75kg), about 1,77m tall with an inside seam of about 76cm, so we are probably looking at medium (about 19'') frames, from what we have been able to gather by reading articles.

At the beginning we will be mostly on roads, with some pavement and dirt, in order to get fit. Later, when we are more comfortable and confident, we hope to do more and more trails. From some personal narratives we have read, it seems as if the larger wheels (29ers) will therefore suit our purposes more (although we will welcome any expert opinions).

We figure we have a total budget of about R10,000 – R12,000 (though we might be able to push it a little bit).

Quite a few people have mentioned Silverbacks, specifically recommending the Solas as great beginner bikes, although the cheapest Solas we saw (Sola 4, 2015 model, new) are in the R10,000 - R11,500 range, which is about double our budget. Some of the online shops advertising Solas were Singletrack Cycles, VBike, Redhub Cycling and Cycle Factory.

Although we are scared to buy secondhand since we don't know enough about MTBs to make sure we don't get ripped off, there are a couple of Silverback Solas available secondhand:

- A Sola 4 advertised secondhand for R7,000 in Kempton Park (frame size unknown, wheel size unknown)

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/silverback-sola-4-ID15Qanc.html#3c5be512b9 

- And a Sola 3 (medium, 29er) for R8,500 in Nelspruit

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/silverback-sola-3-ID15OgSm.html#3c5be512b9 

The entry level Silverback 29ers seem much cheaper. 

A Spectra Sport (2015) is advertised for R4,999.98 at Cycle Lab, R5,500 at Kyalami Cycles and R5,999.99 at VBike (all online prices).

Bearing in mind the cost of accessories like helmets (definitely) and probably gloves, eventually shoes, shorts, etc. will all add up, we figure the advantage of buying new is getting a warrantyso won't have to worry too much about things breaking and paying for repairs and replacements, plus building a relationship with a shop that can help with advice, skills and equipment, but buying secondhand we can save a few bucks plus there is always a chance for a few accessories thrown in to sweeten the deal (although maybe a store would be willing to do the same, since we are buying two bicycles, which seems a pretty good deal for the shop).

We would appreciate any advice and recommendations you might have. We are not set on anything as we are complete novices when it comes to MTBs, and plan to go to a few shops in Centurion and maybe Pretoria this Saturday in person to look at bikes and talk to the experts. We understand that the risks are that we buy beginner level bikes and then get hooked and want to upgrade, but our budgets simply won’t stretch that far yet, so we hope to buy decent bikes now that will allow us to upgrade later, as it will be a long, long time before we even consider competitive riding, if ever.

So any thoughts on specific bikes, shops, prices, new or secondhand, equipment, accessories or anything else we are not considering or you think we are wrong about – please help and drop a comment!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Solas are good bikes that can be ridden on trails comfortably. Even the Sola 4 has an air fork which is desirable. The Spectra is more of a pavement and smooth gravel roads kind of bike with coil spring fork. Buying 2nd hand can be risky if it's a well used bike. You might need to replace some wear parts like chain and cassette.

Other brands like Scott, Giant, Merida, Trek also offer good hardtail bikes for beginners.

Check the Hub classifieds, there are normally quite a few decent bikes available in your price range. 

Before you buy make sure of frame size. I'm 1,78 and a medium was to small for me even with the 110mm stem.

Hi. I just sold my 2014 Sola 3 for a bargain price of 5K. I upgraded to a better Sola. When I started I got the best used bike I could afford and bought good quality used gear- I have found that keeps the cost down. I'm on my 5th bike now in just a few years and have upgraded shoes helmets pumps lights bags and pretty much everything else. Silverbacks are good value for what you get so are a good start point. For me for certain gear its important to get the best- shoes, shorts, gloves, grips, saddle, sunglasses. Good luck!

I Ride A Sola 4 Still Pretty much Stock ,  Ive had one or two Minor changes like tubeless but apart from that it is all standard.  i have about 5000 Km on it and have had minimal Problems only buckled one rim due to extreme riding conditions but it was still covered under warranty  My bike Before that was also an entry Level Silverback and really did a great job must of also had about 5000 km on it and no problems i Really enjoy Silverback and there after sales is brilliant

We would appreciate and hope you can help us with some advice and feedback on our plans to buy mountain bikes:

My brother and I live in Centurion and are seriously considering taking the plunge and getting a couple of mountain bikes, both for fitness and for fun. We are quite similar in that we are both about 40, overweight (about 100kg when we should be about 75kg), about 1,77m tall with an inside seam of about 76cm, so we are probably looking at medium (about 19'') frames, from what we have been able to gather by reading articles.

At the beginning we will be mostly on roads, with some pavement and dirt, in order to get fit. Later, when we are more comfortable and confident, we hope to do more and more trails. From some personal narratives we have read, it seems as if the larger wheels (29ers) will therefore suit our purposes more (although we will welcome any expert opinions).

We figure we have a total budget of about R10,000 – R12,000 (though we might be able to push it a little bit).

Quite a few people have mentioned Silverbacks, specifically recommending the Solas as great beginner bikes, although the cheapest Solas we saw (Sola 4, 2015 model, new) are in the R10,000 - R11,500 range, which is about double our budget. Some of the online shops advertising Solas were Singletrack Cycles, VBike, Redhub Cycling and Cycle Factory.

Although we are scared to buy secondhand since we don't know enough about MTBs to make sure we don't get ripped off, there are a couple of Silverback Solas available secondhand:

- A Sola 4 advertised secondhand for R7,000 in Kempton Park (frame size unknown, wheel size unknown)

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/silverback-sola-4-ID15Qanc.html#3c5be512b9

- And a Sola 3 (medium, 29er) for R8,500 in Nelspruit

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/silverback-sola-3-ID15OgSm.html#3c5be512b9

The entry level Silverback 29ers seem much cheaper.

A Spectra Sport (2015) is advertised for R4,999.98 at Cycle Lab, R5,500 at Kyalami Cycles and R5,999.99 at VBike (all online prices).

Bearing in mind the cost of accessories like helmets (definitely) and probably gloves, eventually shoes, shorts, etc. will all add up, we figure the advantage of buying new is getting a warrantyso won't have to worry too much about things breaking and paying for repairs and replacements, plus building a relationship with a shop that can help with advice, skills and equipment, but buying secondhand we can save a few bucks plus there is always a chance for a few accessories thrown in to sweeten the deal (although maybe a store would be willing to do the same, since we are buying two bicycles, which seems a pretty good deal for the shop).

We would appreciate any advice and recommendations you might have. We are not set on anything as we are complete novices when it comes to MTBs, and plan to go to a few shops in Centurion and maybe Pretoria this Saturday in person to look at bikes and talk to the experts. We understand that the risks are that we buy beginner level bikes and then get hooked and want to upgrade, but our budgets simply won’t stretch that far yet, so we hope to buy decent bikes now that will allow us to upgrade later, as it will be a long, long time before we even consider competitive riding, if ever.

So any thoughts on specific bikes, shops, prices, new or secondhand, equipment, accessories or anything else we are not considering or you think we are wrong about – please help and drop a comment!

Firstly welcome to the Bikehub! You've come to the right place, even though after a few replies it might not seem so because of the different opinions.

Secondly I would suggest getting new bikes is definitely best. Only go second hand if you have someone trustworthy to help you ito looking over the bike and whether the parts on the bike and general condition of it allows for the seller to be asking what he is asking for it. Also maybe have a look at the video that GMBN did on buying second hand.

Bike brands I would suggest is definitely Silverback, Giant and Scott. However I would suggest looking at their basic entry level bikes. Try and get a bike with Deore parts and an air fork (if possible). The Silverback Slade 3 should be within your budget as well as allowing you to get a helmet, padded pants (trust me you need this and when you ride with it you must not be wearing underwear to prevent chafing) and a shirt or two. Gloves are a matter of personal choice but I find wearing a pair does help.

Since I am from Cape Town I can't help with shops beyond Sportsman's Warehouse.

Good luck with the journey!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

"(Sola 4, 2015 model, new) are in the R10,000 - R11,500 range, which is about double our budget..."

I think he means R10k to R12k total for 2 bikes?

Thanks guys. We definitely won't buy before we go to a shop and try out frame sizes, which we plan to do tomorrow. We've been browsing the classifieds but are a bit hesitant about buying secondhand as we don't really know enough about MTBs to know exactly what we are buying (for instance, I wouldn't have thought of things like air forks or the length of a stem). 

The Solas really look good and seem to be generally well-regarded, but alas seem to be a bit out of our budget, unless we can get a good deal for both of us (wouldn't be a great start if one of us got a better bike and we ended up fighting over who gets to ride it!)

The prices I found were online prices and as I said, the cheapest Solas I saw were R10,000 or more each. Cycle Lab does not seem to have any Solas available on their online shop, though I will send them an email or give them a call a bit later to find out.

I am also going to mail a couple of other shops today and tell them about our requirements before going to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are willing to negotiate a bit since we are buying two bikes.

Thanks for the advice and the feedback!

Yup, just spoke to Cycle Lab and they say that while they do have Solas, the best price they can give me is R11,500 for a Sola 4. Perhaps because they do not have any 2015 models? I forgot to ask. The guy I spoke to said I should consider looking at a GT Karakoram Sport, as they still have 2015 models so they can give me a price of R6,500 for a bike.

Of course, now that I know I can't afford a new Sola I just want one even more! But the Karakoram seems like a nice-looking bike, though I don't know anything about it.  

Thanks guys. We definitely won't buy before we go to a shop and try out frame sizes, which we plan to do tomorrow. We've been browsing the classifieds but are a bit hesitant about buying secondhand as we don't really know enough about MTBs to know exactly what we are buying (for instance, I wouldn't have thought of things like air forks or the length of a stem). 

The Solas really look good and seem to be generally well-regarded, but alas seem to be a bit out of our budget, unless we can get a good deal for both of us (wouldn't be a great start if one of us got a better bike and we ended up fighting over who gets to ride it!)

The prices I found were online prices and as I said, the cheapest Solas I saw were R10,000 or more each. Cycle Lab does not seem to have any Solas available on their online shop, though I will send them an email or give them a call a bit later to find out.

I am also going to mail a couple of other shops today and tell them about our requirements before going to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are willing to negotiate a bit since we are buying two bikes.

Thanks for the advice and the feedback!

I got my Sola 4 second hand. Love that bike. I'm, 1.78 on a medium frame.

Watch out for Scumtree, OLX and the like. BikeHub is safer.

If you're looking for a new bike, go to Bouwer Broers in Gezina. They have some Mongooses that are good value for money. I live a stone's throw from them, you can PM me if you want me to tag along.

Edited by rickus_viljoen

my 2c based on my personal experience - spent R1700 on a rigid steel bike in the first 2 years to learn how to ride a bike and to get fit enough to make it around the block (it was that bad)

i too didn't want to buy second hand as I always felt something must be wrong with the bike if people are selling it and not knowing enough about bikes - was too scared to buy second hand (also scamsters etc) - in hindsight i should have spend about R5k on a good second hand bike - and my learning experience would have been less traumatic and bumpy. That said I still ride an entry level bike 3.5 years down the line and as a weekend warrior it does all that I need and all that I'm capable of  (technically) 

if you do decide to buy new - of course try and get a good price if you're buying 2 bikes. My first brand new bike with suspension - i was so excited I walked into the store (was a Silverback Slade 4 - about R6500 at the time) - based on online sizing I said i want a medium - paid and walked out - turned out too big for me - too small for my boyfriend and i sold it about 4 months later for R4000 :( - major noob school fees.  So make sure on your size - don't worry about wheel size and all that - and just have fun, it gets better. Enjoy.

Edit: comment re selling bikes because something must be wrong with it - since joining the hub I've come to realise people sell bikes just to constantly upgrade because they can - so not necessarily a dud. 

Edited by Uni

Edit: comment re selling bikes because something must be wrong with it - since joining the hub I've come to realise people sell bikes just to constantly upgrade because they can - so not necessarily a dud. 

That's why it's safer here....

That's why it's safer here....

there's a handful of good okes on here that I'm sure for the price of a burger (bunless maybe) and a beer (lite) - would be happy to go check out a bike with a noob. 

Thank you all for the help, feedback and advice. Since it doesn't look like I'll get a Sola if I want to buy new (though I'll definitely keep an  eye out) I have now ended up on Kayalami Cycles' website and there seems to be some specials at the moment: A Titan 29R Trail (2015) for R7,200 and a Silverback Spectra Comp for R6,600. Still don't know anything about these cycles so going to have to read up about them while I read up about the GT Karakoram Sport.

Also thinking about contacting the person who advertised the Sola 4 secondhand for R7,000 in Kempton Park that I mentioned in my original post, just to find out if it's still available and what size frame it is.