Which Power meter??

Henley 1

As you know - I also have 2PT's and a stages - service from Bicyclepower has been tops and so far from onmico no issues (but they have the device at the moment.... so we wait and see) - chatting to them on the phone seems positive so far.

So - feedback on the service from Omnico - crank is back in Jhb - replaced at no charge - can't fault that service.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my first generation Stages PM from Chris Willemse and when I had a problem with it they got it changed out for me for the new model at no cost in under 2 weeks.  I love my Stages, can't imagine riding my road bike without it. 

Stages is an excellent pm. Cost is justifiable, has very little impact on choice of equipment (carbon and campagnolo options coming .

I have a spare dura ace crank arm now, so I'll send that to 4iiii and get precision for the spare arm. That way I won't be without a pm and will have spent less than most other options cost

Got my eye on either a Quarq or a Power2max for S-Works crank. Anyone care to share the SA prices of these things? Just as a matter of curiosity, really, as I am likely to order off a USA price list anyway...

P2M is better priced and more reliable.

Very informative. Ive always wondered about the accuracy of the left/right split on my P2M. the difference has actually increased since when I got the meter about 9 months ago.

Should I be worried that this difference is increasing?

P2M is better priced and more reliable.

As per Raptor 22 should like a reason for your opinion, if there is one? Thanks!

One of the main reasons why I suggest PowerTap is that the local agents, BicyclePower Trading, are super cool guys who go the extra mile. Well they did for me on a few occasions! Mike and Dave are the guys there, give them a call, they will give you some good advice on your options.

Couldn't agree more. Exceptional service every time from Bicycle Power.

One thing that many are ignoring is, that with any sort of technical gizmo to assist with your training, is that you can accurately track your training improvement from a certain departure point. Accuracy of a certain Watt value is of course important but It is more important that the PM (or HRM) is reading a certain value at the beginning of a training phase and measures/ compares the anticipated end value at some time later in your program to establish the rate of difference/ improvement (just as the HRM did many years ago!).

For example - when I started with my P2M in early August 2015, my measured FTP (in a lab) was 237W. Now in May 2016 after 9 months of dedicated training programs, my FTP is 310W; an improvement of approx. 30%!

If I was Chris Froome, accuracy would be paramount, but for most amateur riders this is immaterial whether or not the PM is reading this 10 -15 W either way. Fact is that I can see and feel my improvement over time and I know that my concentrated training efforts are working for me!

For those interested in running Oval rings please note current Power2max power meters are not compatible with them. 1x systems that is.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

For those interested in running Oval rings please note current Power2max power meters are not compatible with them. 1x systems that is.

Are you referring to MTB (I am a road cyclist)? I have been running Road Q-Rings 52/36 without any hassles with my Shimano 11 spd Di2 Dura Ace groupset!

Are you referring to MTB (I am a road cyclist)? I have been running Road Q-Rings 52/36 without any hassles with my Shimano 11 spd Di2 Dura Ace groupset!

Yes, my bad, with 1x I referred to MTB.

One thing that many are ignoring is, that with any sort of technical gizmo to assist with your training, is that you can accurately track your training improvement from a certain departure point. Accuracy of a certain Watt value is of course important but It is more important that the PM (or HRM) is reading a certain value at the beginning of a training phase and measures/ compares the anticipated end value at some time later in your program to establish the rate of difference/ improvement (just as the HRM did many years ago!).

For example - when I started with my P2M in early August 2015, my measured FTP (in a lab) was 237W. Now in May 2016 after 9 months of dedicated training programs, my FTP is 310W; an improvement of approx. 30%!

If I was Chris Froome, accuracy would be paramount, but for most amateur riders this is immaterial whether or not the PM is reading this 10 -15 W either way. Fact is that I can see and feel my improvement over time and I know that my concentrated training efforts are working for me!

Absolute numbers aren't important, in other words; relative ones are.

Archived