Which indoor trainer to buy??

Henley 1

Then you get advanced apps, seems like this is where you want to play in...here are a couple and their respective use cases:

1.Zwift : 3rd person game type feel that really makes IDT a fun thing to do whilst getting fit and strong. Very polished when it comes graphics and interface but not as focused wrt structured training programs. Think playstation for IDT. Loads of fun. Only supports Ant protocols on computer hardware at the moment. You will thus need to buy and additional Ant dongle so that the trainer can communicate with the PC / laptop / macbook. Subscription based payments

Just as a side note...

if you use the Zwift phone app, the phone talks BLE to sensors and then to the pc/laptop/mac app...

So you can use both ant+ and BLE...

Haven't tried it, but that's what it says.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the Hammer is going to smash something for a luck few..... ;)

Hopefully some one with Tacx vortex problems will get a sponsered on? Where is the Austin powers emo for "1billion dollars" ?

Yep, unfortunately OP, the requirement of adjusting resistance based on feedback from app(also called ergo mode training) means you are playing in the higher bracket. Its like asking for a low cost lambo. But fear not, its a great investment...dont think of it as money wasted but rather the best money you can spend regarding fitness / health / results returns. 

If you want new, I would suggest the wahoo kickr, probably the most functional and futureproof of all the current ergo trainers....a secondhand cyclops powerbeam pro will cost you alot less given they just released a new trainer but it only transmits in either BLE or Ant. Not a trainsmash, but not as future proof as the kickr which supports both comms protocols. Then regarding applications....there are lots of free ones with basic functionality that allows you to spin and adjust the power you sitting at, but its a manual exercise whilst riding...not that its bad, sometimes its nice just to sit and spin at a power number you comfortable at looking at the numbers go up or down...like a wattbike at the gym.

Then you get advanced apps, seems like this is where you want to play in...here are a couple and their respective use cases:

1.Zwift : 3rd person game type feel that really makes IDT a fun thing to do whilst getting fit and strong. Very polished when it comes graphics and interface but not as focused wrt structured training programs. Think playstation for IDT. Loads of fun. Only supports Ant protocols on computer hardware at the moment. You will thus need to buy and additional Ant dongle so that the trainer can communicate with the PC / laptop / macbook. Subscription based payments

2.Virtual training : Slightly more focused with online races...Mixed bag of focus, online racing and virtual training on routes that is already available or that you created yourself using previous ride's GPX files....this will solve the 94.7 simulation you want to do. Some of the routes have video content as well which makes it more stimulating. It also runs on PC, Macbooks, tablets and phones via BLE or Ant Protocols which is very lekkers...All rides are sync'd to a could profile or other third party apps like strava / trainingpeaks / social media. Subscription based payments

3.Trainerroad : Probably the most focused with emphasis on structured workouts around your dicipline of choice, whether its roading riding / XCO / XCM / Enduro / Gravity / Tri's / TT's. It follows set base, build, specialty training phases based on your needs with a online diary of what you have done / your current power numbers / stress scores / FTP numbers. Great variety of workouts and plan and you can even create your own powerbased plan. Supports both BLE and Ant protocols on PC, Macbooks, tablets and smart phones(android or IOS)

All three of the above communicate very nicely with your ergo trainer adjusting the brake to simulate an incline on a virtual route or a specific power number you need to maintain in a structured workout allowing you to focus on turning the pedals over and not fiddle with buttons and crap. Wrt the apps, they all fulfill a different need and don't really compete with each other imo....just depends what you want out of your trainer. 

Last piece of advice...stay away tacx trainers.  

Good advice there.

I have to say the only downside I have found to my powerbeam is that Im often chosing to ride it rather than heading outside to ride!

Just as a side note...

if you use the Zwift phone app, the phone talks BLE to sensors and then to the pc/laptop/mac app...

So you can use both ant+ and BLE...

Haven't tried it, but that's what it says.

Only in beta and very clunky I believe...well that is according to the forums. They dont officially support ble at the moment and using the community to sort out bugs. See here

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/206576683-Bluetooth-LE-BLE-Support-for-HR-Monitors-and-Power-Meters

I am sure they will officially support shortly but given the "techiness" of these setups you dont want to be the guinea pig.

PS...for me and you(techie by nature) its not rocket science to setup although I did experience bugs a couple of time...power just locking even though you stop pedaling(you basically freewheeling up a hill...whoop whoop)

Good advice there.

I have to say the only downside I have found to my powerbeam is that Im often chosing to ride it rather than heading outside to ride!

I must say zwift is like crack....14 day free trail and then you hooked. 

I must say zwift is like crack....14 day free trail and then you hooked. 

Im really keen to try it, just doesnt look like it does ergo mode for BLE trainers.

From what I read it just picks up the BLE powerbeam as a power meter.

I must check to see if they have an open API that I can try hack something together.

My previous tacx cured me of wanting a computer within 100m of my trainer. As soon as they get Zwift to run on the iPad with my Powerbeam Pro they can have my monthly subscription.

My previous tacx cured me of wanting a computer within 100m of my trainer. As soon as they get Zwift to run on the iPad with my Powerbeam Pro they can have my monthly subscription.

ZWIFT is really much easier than I expected. Just plug and play really. They are a software company making software. Not a trainer company making software. 

I love it to bits. 

ZWIFT is really much easier than I expected. Just plug and play really. They are a software company making software. Not a trainer company making software. 

I love it to bits. 

its is very cool...but their beta / non support of tablets and ble protocols are also stopping me from signing up permantly. Getting it to work with ble is a hack.

If you can swallow the large jaggered bill that come's with the inflated exchange rates, the new Cycleops  Hammer is the one to wait for! 

If you can swallow the large jaggered bill that come's with the inflated exchange rates, the new Cycleops  Hammer is the one to wait for! 

Think so too....

i think maybe tomorrow there might be something from CycleOps SA......  :ph34r:

Lets hear it....

I can only speak for Wahoo kickr and rollers .I weigh 100kg and often stand and climb french cols at 15% on my mtb attached to the kickr .The fact that this equipment weighs 21kg and is a sturdy build makes this a quality trainer for years .There are more apps and training programs that you will get thru . Currently i only use Kinomap and strava segments but will try Zwift shortly.I hear good things from cycleops ,but i don,t think it can really top a WK .Rollers are fun and excellent for core and balance .At the moment i can only attach a Quick release dropout bike ,but there are option for 12mm axle 

I can only speak for Wahoo kickr and rollers .I weigh 100kg and often stand and climb french cols at 15% on my mtb attached to the kickr .The fact that this equipment weighs 21kg and is a sturdy build makes this a quality trainer for years .There are more apps and training programs that you will get thru . Currently i only use Kinomap and strava segments but will try Zwift shortly.I hear good things from cycleops ,but i don,t think it can really top a WK .Rollers are fun and excellent for core and balance 

ito build quality I would say both cyclops and wahoo products are built like tanks...the kickr definitely rules the roost because of the double protocol broadcast. It also plays well with 3rd party apps. 

Archived