UCI MTB World Cup XCO 2016: Albstadt, Germany - 22 May

Nick

We have some great youngsters starting to come through.  Someone must just manage them correctly to ensure that they are not burned out and gatvol of cycling by the time they hit their 20s.  With each year's Spur school races there are more and more kids, and the competition is getting really tough there.  One such kid is Ivan Venter, but he decided to go over to road racing and joined his brother.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys

I raced yesterday. All the Saffas had avg days. I was taken out twice where the a and b line meet after devil's corner, the second time causing me to roll my tyre and flat so long run to the finish.

James got taken out as well by a random and he broke a wheel and needed to replace it.

Allen also punctured not sure how or where haven't been able to chat to him.

Jan had a decent race but it's impossible to race from the back.

The girls however had amazing rides and I'm pretty proud of them.

Hope I haven't left anyone out and hope it answers some questions.

Stuart Marais

Hey Guys

I raced yesterday. All the Saffas had avg days. I was taken out twice where the a and b line meet after devil's corner, the second time causing me to roll my tyre and flat so long run to the finish.

James got taken out as well by a random and he broke a wheel and needed to replace it.

Stuart Marais

Shot.. thx for the info..

We don't hear what happens with you guys at the races..so all we see are results but no feedback.. so thx for the feedback

Anytime. If you guys follow my twitter feed I try to give updates as much as possible. Will try write blogs about the experiences when I'm back.

Europe is insaine and alot harder than anyone can imagine. TV does absolutely no justice to the courses and how slippery they are.

Have a good one everyone. Will try to keep you posted how things go with everyone ????

Hey Guys

Stuart Marais

Thanks for the info. We rarely get a look at the broader picture. It is difficult to judge only from results.

All the best going forward.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is very much the only time of year I watch sports and must say the races was fantastic!

Nino and Julian are both Heroes in my book. Must say that I felt Julian's pain when Nino overtook him right at the end.

Didn't see that Jenny actually hurt her knee in that fall, but what a last lap!

Looks like the RSA Ladies did well (44 and 51). 

The Men's race on the other hand must be so tough, cant believe how many of the guys dropped back 20 or so spots from the first lap. 88th for James is not bad at all, but it just shows how strong the Europeans are.

@_PAT_, will be very nice to get a Racers perspective of what's going on, especially the kind of support you have compared to the guys with the big teams behind them.

Looking forward to next weekends racing!

44 and 51 is well done?

ok in terms of encouragement sure well done, slapp on the back.

But come on, SA is MTB mecca and that's where our riders are placing?

Its another Olympic year and we have zero hope of even sniffing a medal unless we can convinced Nino to buy property and move out permanently and race under CSA license :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, last one. Hope you enjoy and gives you a bit of insight into how things go down in Europe. Thanks for those of you who took the time to give it a read.

https://stuartmaraisracing.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/euro-trip-part-3/

Regards

Stuart

Awesome blogs Stuart. Racing over there sounds downright scary. Big up to you for following your dreams. And thanks for giving us weekend warriors some insight into racing. It looks so easy when Nino and Julien are powering up the hills and floating down. But it's obviously not as easy as those legends make it seem. Really makes me appreciate how good guys like Burry and Greg really were / are to compete at the very top of this sport.

Truly inspirational.

Hey guys, last one. Hope you enjoy and gives you a bit of insight into how things go down in Europe. Thanks for those of you who took the time to give it a read.

https://stuartmaraisracing.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/euro-trip-part-3/

Regards

Stuart

Thanks Stuart it really does give an insight into what it takes to race at or near WC level!

Keep following your dreams!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Great blog Stuart. Gives an idea of just how hard it is to make it as a pro. And to respect those they do a lot more. Keep up the hard work, stay positive and the results will come. Just keep having fun and enjoying the moments. You don't want to look back at some stage and say "I should've "

Did DSTV screw up the broadcast now?

Was suppose to start 14:45 on channel 208?

Edit: Switched over as I pressed "send"

Archived