UCI MTB World Cup XCO 2016: Albstadt, Germany - 22 May

Nick

What a race, I thought the commentator was going to get a heart attack during the sprint! And how was Nino's air punch going over the line!? He's a real character, and you need those guys in every sport. He reminds me of Novak Djokovic. Some might say they are a bit windgat, I call it character. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they entered the final 200m I told my wife, I reckon Nino is now treating this like a pursuit and his roadie experience might just do it. Look how smart I am!

nah,

When I saw 650b vs 29er I knew 650b was going to take it. Better acceleration and similar gearing for similar end speed left it all to PTM ratio.

What a race, I thought the commentator was going to get a heart attack during the sprint! And how was Nino's air punch going over the line!? He's a real character, and you need those guys in every sport. He reminds me of Novak Djokovic. Some might say they are a bit windgat, I call it character.

I don't think he is windgat at all. He is always humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

nah,

When I saw 650b vs 29er I knew 650b was going to take it. Better acceleration and similar gearing for similar end speed left it all to PTM ratio.

Really not down to wheel size .. few years ago when Kulhavi beat Nino in similar sprint it was allegedly because of the winner using a 29'er (so he said...)

Its more about their body types, Nino simply has more power for the sprint. But also he played is wisely, I think he realised he could not drop Julian on the climbs so he had to leave it all to the sprint.

Really not down to wheel size .. few years ago when Kulhavi beat Nino in similar sprint it was allegedly because of the winner using a 29'er (so he said...)

Its more about their body types, Nino simply has more power for the sprint. But also he played is wisely, I think he realised he could not drop Julian on the climbs so he had to leave it all to the sprint.

I saw a sprint between Nino and Fontana in the beginning of the season. I think it was a race in Italy...(not a world cup race).. also a very powerful sprint from Nino on that occasion.

Edit. Was a sprint with Fontana

I don't think he is windgat at all. He is always humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

As are most of the XC racers, which is one of the reasons I love the sport. I think all that akkuk keep them honest.

I truly like the xco scene. There is no windgatte, guys and girls thinking the sun shines from their arses. Both Nino and Julian are brilliant sportsmen. Nino's airpunch was just a sign of relief and elation.

What about Marotte. The way he dropped the others at lap 4 or 5. Very well done. Was just a shame mr Coolharvy had a flat. Would have been alot closer at the end

Xco is proper racing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I truly like the xco scene. There is no windgatte, guys and girls thinking the sun shines from their arses. Both Nino and Julian are brilliant sportsmen. Nino's airpunch was just a sign of relief and elation.

What about Marotte. The way he dropped the others at lap 4 or 5. Very well done. Was just a shame mr Coolharvy had a flat. Would have been alot closer at the end

Xco is proper racing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Are you comparing it to road racing?

I thought Julien might take it yesterday - Also thought he was sprinting in too high a gear but who knows. His descending game looks much better than last year but as he improves so does Schurter.

Absalon may be 35 but thats hardly over the hill - he is married and has a kid too so thats maybe more of a factor - those of us with kids know how those creatures mess with sleep patterns and such like. He is a pro with a more "normal" life than Nino and some of the other racers. Respect to him - hope he wins his home XCO next week.  

Are you comparing it to road racing?

I thought Julien might take it yesterday - Also thought he was sprinting in too high a gear but who knows. His descending game looks much better than last year but as he improves so does Schurter.

Absalon may be 35 but thats hardly over the hill - he is married and has a kid too so thats maybe more of a factor - those of us with kids know how those creatures mess with sleep patterns and such like. He is a pro with a more "normal" life than Nino and some of the other racers. Respect to him - hope he wins his home XCO next week.

Ermm..Nino too has a young baby at home..

The size of the muscles matter almost nothing.

If I recall, this guy was sitting with the leaders for quite some time. And Andy Schlek might also have an opinion on leg size.

http://www.veloveritas.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/29/comm-games14-mtb-men/Comm+Games+14+Men+05+Ferguson+5.jpg

On the hills they were equally strong. Coming out of someone's slip is much easier if they have been leading out for 100m.

pretty sure watts matter a hell of a lot in a sprint bud....that is where nino won, or rather...julian lost

Harvey was handicapped by the '9er. His power to weight would have been better used on a 26er then he would have won by three bikes lengths

pretty sure watts matter a hell of a lot in a sprint bud....that is where nino won, or rather...julian lost

You don't need leg power in a sprint... just ask Andre

post-3544-0-32684000-1463996895_thumb.jpg

Harvey was handicapped by the '9er. His power to weight would have been better used on a 26er then he would have won by three bikes lengths

Lol, we need to sponsor a re run of that finish with a 26er. 

Ooops, I stand corrected :-)

Ha ha ha

Yeah his baby was born late last year. . Can't remember exactly but ja they both very much family men.

Archived