Trail Daze | Drakensberg on the fly

ewaldsadie

All should be aware that Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife manages the park and most of it is a world heritage site. Some areas are declared wilderness. All this means that international treaties are in place and govern, to some extent, the activities that may take place there. Loss of world heritage status, for example, would be detrimental to local tourism businesses.

At present very little MTB is permitted within park boundaries managed by Ezemvelo. As far as I know, only Mike's Pass and the old forestry jeeptracks are permitted. Some resorts and hotels have very tame short trails too.

There is room for some development of mtb but please lets not have the massive over-utilisation and erosion caused by skiing, hiking and mtb in some parts of the world (dare I mention Morzine and surrounds?). I would be much in support of a responsible attitude to development and for this to be done in consultation with the authorities. From contacts I have, belive me that we are a hair's breadth from an outright ban on mtb in the park because many have pushed the boundaries and not stuck to permitted trails in the past.

Please don't be the box that wrecks it for all of us. If you really must adventure in the mountains with your bike then Lesotho is far less regulated and has much more rideable terrain than the Little 'Berg region referred in this thread.

One of those pilots mentioned has already trashed at least 1 chopper in the mountains and I have witnessed his approach to flying at altitude 1st hand.

As a long time hiker, climber and mtb'er with extensive knowledge and experience of the Drakensberg I am happy to debate some of the issues mentioned here if they seem a bit controversial to you.

Yes we would all like to see mtb access improved but understand that this environment is very sensitive and critically important to the water supply of KZN. There are many forces at play and access will have to be negotiated carefully to avoid a hardening of attitude by authorities who have limited budget for developing and monitoring a new activity. It is easier for them to just say no.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

LOL, easy there. We were just dreaming of how lekker it would be to mtb down the escarpment. We didn't say we were going to go against park rules and do it! I am well aware of the sensitivity of the area, and that it probably won't ever be opened to mtb'ers. I am however of the opinion that mtb trails can be opened in some sections of the park without causing any ecological damage. It just needs funding and manpower to maintain the trails. There isn't much tourism happening (hikers are a dying breed) at the moment and the camps are running at a loss. Opening a few mtb trails could attract more people to the park. Unfortunately conservation in Africa  = if it pays it stays. And yes, I am aware of the importance of the berg in terms of ecosystem services, but some of our fellow south africans are not very clued up on that concept.

I have cycled up Mike's pass a few times myself, it's a lekker ride!

Yes Greg made a mistake when he rolled the chopper on top the escarpment. He's lucky they all survived. But between him and Brett they are 2 of probably very few chopper pilots who regularly fly at that altitude, and I've always felt safe flying with them. 

LOL, easy there. We were just dreaming of how lekker it would be to mtb down the escarpment. We didn't say we were going to go against park rules and do it! I am well aware of the sensitivity of the area, and that it probably won't ever be opened to mtb'ers. I am however of the opinion that mtb trails can be opened in some sections of the park without causing any ecological damage. It just needs funding and manpower to maintain the trails. There isn't much tourism happening (hikers are a dying breed) at the moment and the camps are running at a loss. Opening a few mtb trails could attract more people to the park. Unfortunately conservation in Africa = if it pays it stays. And yes, I am aware of the importance of the berg in terms of ecosystem services, but some of our fellow south africans are not very clued up on that concept.

I have cycled up Mike's pass a few times myself, it's a lekker ride!

Yes Greg made a mistake when he rolled the chopper on top the escarpment. He's lucky they all survived. But between him and Brett they are 2 of probably very few chopper pilots who regularly fly at that altitude, and I've always felt safe flying with them.

With you on all points there. My post was not directed personally at you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

it's on the little berg. I have flown lots with Greg and Brett, they are the best (and probably only) high altitude chopper pilots in the country. They have a set route that they are allowed to enter the Park/world heritage site, and cycling isn't allowed in the park, yet. Would be awesome if that changes, the place is so under utilized. People just don't hike that much anymore

Hey Guy's

We land on the little berg outside the park and ride along existing cattle paths which are also outside the park.

No riding is permitted in the park , hopefully parts will be someday.

The trails are all raw and natural which makes great mountain biking and we don't have large groups of riders constantly riding down.

Greg and Brett both grew up in this area and are excellent pilots .

Hope to see you guy's up this side for some riding soon .

Cheers Kirk

ROCKSTARS!

Thanks for the great pics ...... makes me want to go out and ride.....even makes me "feel like I am there"!