https://www.facebook.com/TheSportsBasement/  Scroll down their time line and see the advert for wetsuits, might be of interest.  There are some good prices and they also do trade in, so may have used wetsuits for sale.  Also I see they do wetsuit hire

That's the one Shaper!!  Also look at Xterra suits.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im in comms with Terry from xterra for my gear, fark the swim is stressing me out bigtime!! did a 7km run last night without hastles, legs sore today.. will go do swim only tomorrow at the gym to see where i am at, used to go spin and then swim. hopefully i will get some confidence this weekend on a stroke and rythem to work from. not sure how im gonna get to the big numbers ito swimming in such a short period. but i will do my best, the training programs are rough and assume you can already swim..oops :) but i will get there.. 

Hi Renier

Try http://swimplan.com/ they give free swim plans for beginners to experts,

here is a drill that brought my swim time down from 2:00/100 to 1:25/100. I do this every swim after a 400 warm up

• 25 left arm with right extended forward 
  • 25 right arm with left extended forward 
  • 50 rhythm drill (This is basically like doing the single arm drill but alternating each arm: Do 2 strokes with your left arm and then 2 with the right.
  • 50 catch up as follows:
    • Push off the wall with both arms extended
    • Stroke with the left, keeping the right extended
    • When the left arm reaches the end of the stroke – forward next to the right – start the right stroke
  • 50 easy freestyle.
  • Repeat x3

Hi Guys

what are anyone's thoughts on riding Bela Bela on a road bike vs a TT bike? I hear the climbs are quite hectic

Any thoughts?  

Hi Renier

here is a drill that brought my swim time down from 2:00/100 to 1:25/100. I do this every swim after a 400 warm up

• 50 rhythm drill (This is basically like doing the single arm drill but alternating each arm: Do 2 strokes with your left arm and then 2 with the right.
    • When the left arm reaches the end of the stroke – forward next to the right – start the right stroke
  • 50 easy freestyle.
  • Repeat x3

your warmup distance is a distance i am not able to get to at present :P but i will get it up there, hopefully it will just "happen" with hard work.

Hi Guys

what are anyone's thoughts on riding Bela Bela on a road bike vs a TT bike? I hear the climbs are quite hectic

Any thoughts?  

I rode on a TT bike last year no problem, there are climbs but would not call them hectic.

Whether you would be quicker on a road bike designed for climbing vs a TT bike, not sure which would be faster

TT bike just looks cooler :thumbup:  plus it goes down hills very fast

Thanks guys

Is quite bumpy when you come back into town apart from that the road was pretty ok.. and ya there is a lekker downhill or 2... you do the bike route twice.  I ran 53/39 with a 28 cassette

Hi Renier

• 50 easy freestyle.
  • Repeat x3

thanks a stack for the link, just got a workout and looks do-able :) hopefully this weekend i will be able to work through the entire program, starting tomorrow

im in comms with Terry from xterra for my gear, fark the swim is stressing me out bigtime!! did a 7km run last night without hastles, legs sore today.. will go do swim only tomorrow at the gym to see where i am at, used to go spin and then swim. hopefully i will get some confidence this weekend on a stroke and rythem to work from. not sure how im gonna get to the big numbers ito swimming in such a short period. but i will do my best, the training programs are rough and assume you can already swim..oops :) but i will get there.. 

Terry is the man, got my suit from him and it was a great price with even better service.

Swimming in a wetsuit is like cheating - its that much easier.

Email me if you want so more hectic swim sets, but you got plenty time to get strong in the water. 9 weeks is more than enough time, but you need to swim 3 times a week and increase the distance weekly

2016 70.3 Durban swim was a breeze, it was so easy we never even touched the water :w00t:

Email me if you want so more hectic swim sets, but you got plenty time to get strong in the water. 9 weeks is more than enough time, but you need to swim 3 times a week and increase the distance weekly

2016 70.3 Durban swim was a breeze, it was so easy we never even touched the water :w00t:

100% im gonna cook it as hard as my body allows without getting into injury lane :)

Just start slow (very slow) with your swim and build pace gradually, you will be surprised how far you can go with that plan.

If you start out at race pace you will be surprised at how far you cant go.

After a while its not the swim that's the struggle its the boredom (on your long swim sessions). That's when you just start focusing on keeping your heart rate down and your technique up.

Keep up the good work.  Also you shouldn't be training your ass off every session or you going to get sick.  Build gradually.

thanks Davey :) i could work on the rythem this morning, and see my next item to work on is breathing slow and relax under water, the brain still tells my body to gasp like a fish "out of water" just inside the water hehe. so i think my body is still a lil freaked out face submerged. but that is now slowly getting better. once i have these disciplines in check i should be able to get the laps down more comfortably :) i appreciate the inspiration and assistance all you. ordering my wetsuit and trisuit from Terry today, then once it lands i can get an open water swim under the belt.

thanks Davey :) i could work on the rythem this morning, and see my next item to work on is breathing slow and relax under water, the brain still tells my body to gasp like a fish "out of water" just inside the water hehe. so i think my body is still a lil freaked out face submerged. but that is now slowly getting better. once i have these disciplines in check i should be able to get the laps down more comfortably :) i appreciate the inspiration and assistance all you. ordering my wetsuit and trisuit from Terry today, then once it lands i can get an open water swim under the belt.

I would hold off on open water swimming until you are fully comfortable in the pool, its a whole other kettle of fish.

You will quickly get to the point Davey described where you are getting really bored when swimming distances.

My pool time is thinking time, not much else to do when you are churning out the long distances.