• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Can someone please explain the differences between normal road shoes and tri shoes for cycling.

Pro's & Con's

is it worth buying another pair of shoes (average athlete)

Thx

Hi,

Can someone please explain the differences between normal road shoes and tri shoes for cycling.

Pro's & Con's

Thx

Well I don't even have road shoes. I've done 3 full IM's on the same shoes and pedals as I use on my mtb. But then again, I spend a lot more time on my mtb, so it obviously makes more sense for me to simply use the mtb shoes. 

Well I don't even have road shoes. I've done 3 full IM's on the same shoes and pedals as I use on my mtb. But then again, I spend a lot more time on my mtb, so it obviously makes more sense for me to simply use the mtb shoes. 

thx banna, I have the same look pedals on both my SS and MTB, so easy with only one pair of shoes!  I am looking at my first road bike now, so was wondering if I need to go through new shoes and pedals exercise, or can I just swap some pedals around.

thx banna, I have the same look pedals on both my SS and MTB, so easy with only one pair of shoes!  I am looking at my first road bike now, so was wondering if I need to go through new shoes and pedals exercise, or can I just swap some pedals around.

I honestly think just swap some pedals around for a start. If you get into the roadie thing and enjoy it, then you can always make the additional investment in shoes/pedals later. 

Hi,

Pro's & Con's

Thx

as far as I can tell:

PROs of tri specific shoes:

1. Shoe opening is designed to allow you to easily slip your foot in on a flying mount

2. Shoes are designed to easily be held in place by an elastic band in preparation for a flying mount

Cons:

1. Cycling shoes generally thought to be more comfortable over long distances (think full IM) and possibly have less flex in them (although this is going to be person and shoe specific)

So really, I would say dont bother getting a pair of tri shoes specifically. When it comes time to replacement you can consider buying tri shoes, and then using them for your normal road cycling.

EDIT: I have one pair of shoes (road) and one set of pedals. Just swop pedals..literally 2 minutes

Edited by travisza

Dare I ask: which is toughest - comrades or Ironman?

Having done both Ironman and Comrades, I have to say that Ironman training is harder (but more enjoyable) than Comrades training, simply because of the time required but I feel that on race day, Comrades is harder because you are on your feet for 9 hrs plus. Ironman has the variety which makes it easier on (my) the body.

as far as I can tell:

PROs of tri specific shoes:

1. Shoe opening is designed to allow you to easily slip your foot in on a flying mount

2. Shoes are designed to easily be held in place by an elastic band in preparation for a flying mount

Cons:

1. Cycling shoes generally thought to be more comfortable over long distances (think full IM) and possibly have less flex in them (although this is going to be person and shoe specific)

So really, I would say dont bother getting a pair of tri shoes specifically. When it comes time to replacement you can consider buying tri shoes, and then using them for your normal road cycling.

EDIT: I have one pair of shoes (road) and one set of pedals. Just swop pedals..literally 2 minutes

I can add that tri shoes are more comfortable to use without socks, which means they not just good for the flying mount but you can also run to and from the mounting points. So for a big transition zone like a 70.3 you save heaps of time if you;

a) Don't wear socks.

b) Have enough in your legs to run a bit before and after your ride.

I have MTB tri shoes. Until recently they were used for road MTB and tri. They are very comfy but a little cold in winter and they don't keep the water out so well.

Lately I bought some road tri shoes and they are also very comfy. I actually can't see myself wanting to use my old road shoes again. I think I'm going to get some shoe covers for the winter

But that's just me I'm reasonably new to tri's but the bug has bitten hard. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any type of shoe.

For me the biggest con for tri shoes is the expense they don't really make entry level models.

thx for all the comments so far with regards to tri shoes.  I think I am still a far way from pulling a flying mount without flying face first to the ground.  I do get the point about running barefoot during transition points, thx.

Unless you are podium chasing or want to just look the part, better to spend the money on quality running shoes rather than tri specific cycle shoes.

I use my road cycling shoes for tri's

thx for all the comments so far with regards to tri shoes.  I think I am still a far way from pulling a flying mount without flying face first to the ground.  I do get the point about running barefoot during transition points, thx.

you are not allowed to run with your shoes in hand at Ironman events.

So you have 2 choices

1. Flying start

2. run through T1 with your shoes. MTB shoes works well and they are a bit more stable for running/walking

Hi,

Pro's & Con's

Thx

the only benefit i have found between having a road pair and a MTB pair is that after a muddy MTB your shoes could still be wet and or muddy when needing to use them again on the road. between tri and road, i'd get road and use the same cleats and pedals as your MTB. 

A lot of useful info here... Thanks...

I'm on the verge of committing to 70.3 in EL at the end of Jan.

I have a few questions. 

Tri suit under wetsuit...? Then just peel off wetsuit in transition 1...?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to what wetsuits are "legal" in these events. I read on the IM site that after 2010, no neoprene suits are to be used, and that you aren't allowed full length legs and sleeves...? Have i misunderstood this...?

I'm seeing a lot of pics of people i know, down at the Durban event this weekend, and most are in full length wetsuits, and when googling the brands and models they're in, i see that pretty much all of them are neoprene suits...

Any clarity on this will be appreciated.

A lot of useful info here... Thanks...

I'm on the verge of committing to 70.3 in EL at the end of Jan.

I have a few questions. 

Tri suit under wetsuit...? Then just peel off wetsuit in transition 1...?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to what wetsuits are "legal" in these events. I read on the IM site that after 2010, no neoprene suits are to be used, and that you aren't allowed full length legs and sleeves...? Have i misunderstood this...?

I'm seeing a lot of pics of people i know, down at the Durban event this weekend, and most are in full length wetsuits, and when googling the brands and models they're in, i see that pretty much all of them are neoprene suits...

Any clarity on this will be appreciated.

have a look here...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/159653-what-constitutes-a-wetsuit/?hl=wetsuit