and if you own a wetsuit it's been estimated that it can increase your speed by as much as 30%.

A decent swimming wetsuit is like cheating, I swear swimming in my xterra makes me feel like Im motor doping!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ADe

I've emailed Sharon from Ironman to see if its going to happen, will feedback the reply. would be a pity if it does not happen, its a nice race

See her reply "We will have details later this week." Sharon Ironman

Thanks. I really hope its still happening. It is a nice fast race.

Shaper is a wetsuit a requirement in the Bela Bela or Germiston race or can you swim without one?

Really depends how cold the water is...and what the race director says whether is wetsuit compulsory or not.

Germiston race (if it happens is usually in November), so can get away without a wetsuit I think

Shaper is a wetsuit a requirement in the Bela Bela or Germiston race or can you swim without one?

neither of the events have even been compulsory afaik... an unlikely to be but I guess Bela bela could fall foul of the temp requirement.

I have done all the ekhurleni ones without a wetsuit so its not needed.

Thanks. I really hope its still happening. It is a nice fast race.

5150 Ekurhuleni African Championship Announcement:

Dear David,

We regret to inform you that the 2016 Standard Bank 5150 Ekurhuleni African Championship has been discontinued.

The event has been hosted successfully at Germiston Lake since 2013 attracting close to 1400 athletes each year since its inception growing to become the biggest standard distance triathlon in South Africa.

We have been encouraged at seeing thousands of athletes join the triathlon community through the Standard Bank 5150 Ekurhuleni African Championship over the past three years, but we are unable to sustain the event without the backing of the City of Ekurhuleni who are unfortunately unable to renew their partnership going forward.

We thank the city and all key role players for their support and contribution towards the success of the event over the past three years. We would especially like to thank our athletes for supporting the event and making it the great race it was.

We remain committed to growing the sport of triathlon in South Africa and with the Standard Bank 5150 Ekurhuleni African Championship now removed from the triathlon calendar, we will be establishing a new 5150 event, the Standard Bank 5150 Nelson Mandela Bay in Port Elizabeth. The new event is set to take place Sunday 20 November 2016.

Entries to the Standard Bank 5150 Nelson Mandela Bay open Monday 1 August 2016 at 14:00.

Further details on the new Standard Bank 5150 Nelson Mandela Bay will be released shortly.

Your 5150 African Triathlon Series Team

5150 Ekurhuleni African Championship Announcement:

just got the email.

I'm considering it (closer to home), but it will depend on the route

Olympic 

Distances:

1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run

Registration package:

Age Group Individual Entries - Entries open Monday 1 August 2016 at 14:00 CET

General Entry: 29 July 2016 - Midnight 21 October 2016 - R950 + R23.75 EasyReg Fee (incl. VAT)

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/5150/5150-nelson-mandela-bay/register/olympic.aspx#ixzz4G4E7SuWF

Sprint

Race Distances:

450m swim, 20km bike, 5km run

Race Registration Packages:

Age Group Individual Entries - Entries open Monday 1 August 2016 at 14:00 CET

General Entry: 29 July 2016 - Midnight 21 October 2016 - R410 + R10.25 EasyReg Fee (incl. VAT)

Team Entries (2 or 3-person team) - Entries open Monday 1 August 2016 at 14:00 CET 

General Team Entry: 29 July 2016 - Midnight 21 October 2016 - R800 + R20.00 EasyReg Fee (incl. VAT)

This is for a regular mixed team of friends or athletes participating as a 2- or 3-member team.  Team members can be substituted until 21 October 2016.

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/5150/5150-nelson-mandela-bay/register/sprint.aspx#ixzz4G4EDRe64

Will definitely be doing the Midlands Ultra now as this 5150 is no more.... hopefully the likes of Trinity Sports will arrange something which will cater for the needs of Gautengers

Will definitely be doing the Midlands Ultra now as this 5150 is no more.... hopefully the likes of Trinity Sports will arrange something which will cater for the needs of Gautengers

Also SUn City Global to consider.

I think I will enter midlands ultra if it does not clash with my lighties school camp out..LAst 3 years the ultra has taken precedence as they fall on the same weekend and I cannot face the tears again :) so hopefully they on different weekends this year.

at least there is the rockman in December which is close for you Gauteng guys.  Would you make any major changes in your training for a off-road tri like the rockman, or not really?

at least there is the rockman in December which is close for you Gauteng guys.  Would you make any major changes in your training for a off-road tri like the rockman, or not really?

I would run more off road, currently I don't run trails at all, a tad scared of injuring myself offroad so I don't. The little bit I have done is that you have to pay a lot more attention :)

To be honest when I did the walk... I mean run last year there were any rocks or ditches that you needed to dodge or worry about. The route was fairly smooth

IM organisers should have considered the Vaal Triangle (Abrahamsrust).  Nice river swim, decent roads for the ride and a run through Vaalpark.  The Vaal hosts the Prestige Ultra/Sprint that is organised by Spectrum Sport and the old Energade Series was also hosted here.  The Prestige might not be as fancy as IM, but it works and is an awesome event!