Received Ironman email yesterday for 70.3 Marrakesh! 

The youtube promo is the worst video I've ever seen so I won't attach it, but that could be a stunning race (and a very sexy long weekend break)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Received Ironman email yesterday for 70.3 Marrakesh! 

The youtube promo is the worst video I've ever seen so I won't attach it, but that could be a stunning race (and a very sexy long weekend break)

I'm keen, but I don't know how I feel about T1 being 30 kms from T2... might be a logistical nightmare getting to the swim start in the morning and then fetching your bike after the race. 

Question to the guys that's been doing this for a while....

What is the weekly average running distance one should be capable of maintaining before entering a full ironman? 50km/week?

And how do you split the run distances, fortnightly long runs, or a long run every week?

What is the weekly average running distance one should be capable of maintaining before entering a full ironman? 50km/week?

And how do you split the run distances, fortnightly long runs, or a long run every week?

Good Question and a longish answer. The distance is important but relative-if you run a total of 50km a week just going out and running with no plan/purpose then that 50km means very little. But if you do 35-40km quality then that would mean much more. The weeks should have some variation in volume, intensity and time. So there will be the usual weekend LSD run and similar types of running in the week but there should be intervals, track sessions and the like to condition the body. Have a look at some online free programmes and see how the distances vary. In my programme I had a track/Interval/bleed from the eyeballs session, recovery runs, and 2 longer runs split 2 days apart-4 runs in the week.         

Edited by Wheelsuck

How much time do you have? How much commitment are you willing to give? I feel that's an honest answer, I know its a silly one, but thats it.

If you are willing to put in 50 kms a week, - awesome you'll do well, 100kms a week sustainably - awesome you'll do amazingly. 10 kms a week, it'll be a long day but its possible. Can you get to track sessions? Can you run at 4am? Can you run on weekends? Family, work, blah blah.

I did IM with no more than 100kms a month, I'm not happy with it because it hurt like balls on the day but you really can do whatever you want to do

You probably already know if you can hack through a marathon. If you want training splits and plans, there are millions online, if you're wanting someone to tell you to get on with it and to stop gauging yourself against irrelevant benchmarks... hi  :devil:

My rule of thumb: If you do the event distance in training through the week, for 6 weeks leading up to the event, you should be able to finish the event with a bit of Vasbyt.

For example, a full ironman event, if you can do 3.8km swimming, 180km cycling and 42km training per week, for 4 to 6 weeks leading up to the event, you will be fine to finish.

Good questions and there will be many responses each relative to ones own paradigm.

What are your goals for IM?

For my goals running 30 to 40 km a week is enough, also not sure my body will cope with more anyway. I take strain at IM but I would even if I was running 200 a week so its all fair.

I do a long run once a month, don't underestimate the body's need for recovery so limit the long runs to once a month or even once every 2 months. There is a reason why marathon runners run very few marathons a year.

Rest of the time run short and some medium distances and some HIIT running too.

Hi Guys

My son turns 12 early in 2019 and would like to give Tri a go.

He is a relatively good cyclist and swimmer. The running may take some work.

Where do I go for kids friendly events to introduce him to the sport.

What Tri club would you recommend we look at?

Hi Guys

My son turns 12 early in 2019 and would like to give Tri a go.

He is a relatively good cyclist and swimmer. The running may take some work.

Where do I go for kids friendly events to introduce him to the sport.

What Tri club would you recommend we look at?

The Trinity Sports (http://trinitysports.co.za/) events at Germiston Lake have events for juniors, as do the Alley Roads (http://www.triseries.co.za) events at Midmar Dam KZN.

If you’re able/willing to travel, the TinMan series by B-Active (https://www.bactive.com/events.htm) on the Durban beachfront also have races for juniors (and their parents). 2019 dates still to be announced.

There are not actually all that many events within reach of most families, so consider setting up a few informal fun triathlons of your own with a few friends on a Saturday or Sunday to get used to stringing together a swim, bike & run. Look at the Super League Triathlon race formats to get some ideas.

Hope this helps.

edit: North West Triathlon also have a series of events that includes races for juniors on the Vaal River at Orkney. Look up their facebook page.

Edited by amr63

I gave it a Tri.... and made it :)

6:29, so beat the younger version of myself 16 years ago by about 4 minutes. Very satisfied.

We had the best coolish temperature/little bit of rain that one could have wished for. (Still very very hot for a Saffa)

Super happy with swim. Very warm water. Visibility not clear though. The rolling start over a timing mat works great to keep everyone calm.

Somewhat slower on the bike than what I expected. Road surface is very heavy/high rolling resistance. First 25km is none stop rollercoaster with bends. Struggled to get rhythm. Would help to recce the route next time. Beautiful coast, forest and rice paddies along the way.

Run route is absolute flat. I was empty between km 9-11 and had to walk... and then remembered I need to take Gu.... so stupid mistake and just show you how brain function also stop when tired. After that much better. I need to work on the run, but happy that I did what I could in 2.5 months and a Couch 2 10k program - that never reached 8km. Determine to work on that. To repeat this from zero again when I'm older will be even more difficult.

Planning the next one...

Highly recommended.

ps Should anyone come this way next year and need time to get use to the heat - welcome to spend time in KL with us.48825545c5e3607b0e35618f73614c5b.jpg

Edited by Zatopek

Ultraman triathlon champs start on Friday...

Day 1 - 10km ocean swim, 145km cycle.

Day 2 - 276km cycle

Day 3 - 84km run

Rob Gray (saffer now living in Boulder) won last year