I think it's a bit soon for that. The pain and stiffness go away when I am active - so it's not at a point where I can't handle it. Will give it another week and see how it goes. 

Sounds like you over exerted yourself on the strength and lifting, cut back on the amount of weights, do more reps and build strength and core

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see it on the list of approved wetsuits for IM, that is why I asked. I was just checking because I am seriously considering buying one!

Blusmooth suitscare absolutely allowed at IM events. There were a number of them at all IM events I have been to. Wolfman uses one too.

ITU I would imagine would allow them too. No reason why not as they fit the rules.

I already do Yoga (which does some core work) - only manage once a week, but it's all I have time for. I have two strength sessions a week, but will add more core work and maybe up the intensity a bit.

Do yourself a favour and substitute your traditional strength sessions with kettlebell sessions, it strengthens your core, lower back, hamstrings etc. You wont believe the diffrence it will make to your swimming, cycling and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So I am not training for any spectacular race or anything, just trying to get as much time as possible in with some running and cycling, not getting around to swimming.  I do not do even come close to some of the ours that you guys put in on a weekly basis, but I feel my body taking some strain.  Then the other issue is, feeling like eating the whole house after big sessions (for me big at least), and not being able to stay awake if I do a couple of morning sessions before work.

So what do you use to keep energy levels up, what do you use as training fuel (me mostly water) and what do you do for recovery.  I know everyone is different, just want to give myself the best chance to ensure my next training session is also quality.

cheers

Hi,

So I am not training for any spectacular race or anything, just trying to get as much time as possible in with some running and cycling, not getting around to swimming.  I do not do even come close to some of the ours that you guys put in on a weekly basis, but I feel my body taking some strain.  Then the other issue is, feeling like eating the whole house after big sessions (for me big at least), and not being able to stay awake if I do a couple of morning sessions before work.

So what do you use to keep energy levels up, what do you use as training fuel (me mostly water) and what do you do for recovery.  I know everyone is different, just want to give myself the best chance to ensure my next training session is also quality.

cheers

I feel that what works best for me is a lot of fresh goods for eating. Lost of fruit and Veg with a protein during lunch

If I eat to much at one point I feel bloated and irritated the whole day, as if my training was an excuse to overeat (its not but it feels like it)

So Ill have stuff like yogurt and fruit, smoothies, cheese with crackers and then possibly chicken/fish with veg for lunch

For snacking I'll have fruit again or even biltong (I normally eat this when I get to work just because I love it)

I've read somewhere that you should eat a nice, sustainable meal 30min after your training session otherwise later on your body will want to consume everything in its path

I also only train on water (shorter than 2 hours) but can also feel I am taking strain so have started incorporating "game" when I run and cycle, not for the swims

Hope this helps, and note its only what I feel works for me. Would like to see what others are taking in

Hi,

cheers

Perpetuem for long sessions

Energade/Water/Game for shorter sessions

Then lots of coffee throughout the day!! 

Perpetuem for long sessions

Energade/Water/Game for shorter sessions

Then lots of coffee throughout the day!! 

Agree with the coffee part.

Over the last few weeks though it feels as if the coffee is not working... Read up on it a bit and most people/dieticians recommend more water. So from this week I will be looking at takings in more and more water. Hopefully that helps

Hi,

cheers

Have a read, might be of assistance https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/periodized-approach-carbohydrate-intake-training-racing/

Consider taking a protein or recovery shake after training, it will help with muscle rebuild.  Also try to eat a proper meal within 30 mins of training.

Consider snacks during the day which are protein based rather than carb based.  Carb based such as snacking on energy bars/toast/sandwiched will not stop the craving to eat but feed the craving.  Snack on biltong, nuts, fresh veg, even a hard boiled egg. Do some reading on protein food types.

Finally drink plenty of water, training daily or twice a day take a lot of water out of your system and dehydration can also be a reason why you feel low in energy.

Hi,

So I am not training for any spectacular race or anything, just trying to get as much time as possible in with some running and cycling, not getting around to swimming. I do not do even come close to some of the ours that you guys put in on a weekly basis, but I feel my body taking some strain. Then the other issue is, feeling like eating the whole house after big sessions (for me big at least), and not being able to stay awake if I do a couple of morning sessions before work.

So what do you use to keep energy levels up, what do you use as training fuel (me mostly water) and what do you do for recovery. I know everyone is different, just want to give myself the best chance to ensure my next training session is also quality.

cheers

Are you maybe over training? And are you taking rest days?

I am going through to Cape Town tomorrow to pick up my CTCT number.... 

I was also thinking a getting in a nice long swim.

Is Sea-point pool crazy busy at around 13:00 or are there any other alternatives?

Where do the CT boys and Girls do their open water swimming?

Thanks and Cheers

Mel

I am going through to Cape Town tomorrow to pick up my CTCT number.... 

I was also thinking a getting in a nice long swim.

Is Sea-point pool crazy busy at around 13:00 or are there any other alternatives?

Where do the CT boys and Girls do their open water swimming?

Thanks and Cheers

Mel

You can try silvermine. I am not aware of any groups that swim during the week, so you will have to do a swim by yourself in the sea :)

Hi,

cheers

That is the best part...

Hi,

cheers

Eat brother! a ramp up in training is going to deplete you, you need to fill up with quality foods. I aim to eat smaller portions, and more often, but keep it clean for the most part. Its easy to get calories from fatty and sugary foods but you'll crash just as quickly afterwards. Food prep can be equally as tiring as a training session... 

Definitely take a recovery shake after a tough workout. Your muscles are like a sponge after training so give it the good stuff straight away. Good whey protein and a heap of quick digesting carbs.

Training fuel is an experiment. You need to try out different brands, types, quantities. Try whole foods, try drinks, gels everything, and see what works best for you. It takes time but can be quite fun playing around with it.

As far as energy during the day I got nothing. Coffee works wonders, in fact even just the walk to go get the coffee helps, but at 2 or 3pm every day you'll find me slouching (hard) behind my computer screens.

Eat brother! a ramp up in training is going to deplete you, you need to fill up with quality foods. I aim to eat smaller portions, and more often, but keep it clean for the most part. Its easy to get calories from fatty and sugary foods but you'll crash just as quickly afterwards. Food prep can be equally as tiring as a training session... 

Definitely take a recovery shake after a tough workout. Your muscles are like a sponge after training so give it the good stuff straight away. Good whey protein and a heap of quick digesting carbs.

Training fuel is an experiment. You need to try out different brands, types, quantities. Try whole foods, try drinks, gels everything, and see what works best for you. It takes time but can be quite fun playing around with it.

As far as energy during the day I got nothing. Coffee works wonders, in fact even just the walk to go get the coffee helps, but at 2 or 3pm every day you'll find me slouching (hard) behind my computer screens.

Maybe the energy issue will be resolved after getting a good post training snack in/ diet overhaul

I feel that what works best for me is a lot of fresh goods for eating. Lost of fruit and Veg with a protein during lunch

If I eat to much at one point I feel bloated and irritated the whole day, as if my training was an excuse to overeat (its not but it feels like it)

So Ill have stuff like yogurt and fruit, smoothies, cheese with crackers and then possibly chicken/fish with veg for lunch

For snacking I'll have fruit again or even biltong (I normally eat this when I get to work just because I love it)

I've read somewhere that you should eat a nice, sustainable meal 30min after your training session otherwise later on your body will want to consume everything in its path

I also only train on water (shorter than 2 hours) but can also feel I am taking strain so have started incorporating "game" when I run and cycle, not for the swims

Hope this helps, and note its only what I feel works for me. Would like to see what others are taking in

hi, thanks for this.  Will try some more fresh fruits and up my water intake.

hi, thanks for this.  Will try some more fresh fruits and up my water intake.

Just be careful with your fruit intake. Fruit, although it has lots of fibre, has got a fair amount of sugar in it (the good sugar). Too much fruit may spike your blood sugar, which will make you feel tired later on. Add some veg or nuts :)