thx Shaper.  maybe a plan for next year.  If I can still get in shape maybe consider the Olympic distance this year.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of buying a new bike in prep for my first IM 70.3 2018 and full IM 2019. I currently have a Scott speedster s20 (aluminum, 105 components) which has done me well so far.

I've been looking at Merida sculturre 5000 2016, giant tcr 105 comp and trek emonda s5- all in my budget of sub 30k. Any opinions regarding these bikes, good or bad? Is this better than what I've got besides the frame, Or is bumping the budget up a bit worth the spend?

thx Shaper.  maybe a plan for next year.  If I can still get in shape maybe consider the Olympic distance this year.

Consider Bella Bella in August.  Good thing about that event is that should you need to you can stand in the swimming as the swim is in the water ski oval which is only armpit deep

Consider Bella Bella in August.  Good thing about that event is that should you need to you can stand in the swimming as the swim is in the water ski oval which is only armpit deep

Hi shaper, thanks man.  Currently trying to get my ass in gear for Sun City in May!!!  Will also look at finally getting a wetsuit before May, and work a bit on the swim. 

Anybody have the Midlands Ultra or the Prestige Ultra Run and Ride route maps on Strava?

Will appreciate if you can share.

Ok to all you tri monsters, let's talk training. More specific, training for us normal people who work from 7 to 5 at least, have families, like being married, have a braai or 2 during the week etc, how the hell do i fit in enough hours to be able to complete a 70.3. Minimum programs require 10hours/week, which i really struggle to do. I think my real question is with how little will i be able to get away with.

Currently the swim is my biggest issue. No nice gyms, swim squads, coaches etc. available, only a 15meter open pool. Still trying to find a farmer with a nice big dam.

I cycle when i can, during the week best chances are an hour or 50 minutes on the idt before work, and a run for 40 or 50 minutes every other day after work.

I really want to do this, but struggling with the balancing act, o ja, still klapping some unisa in between.

Happy training!!!!

Sent from my SM-T116 using Tapatalk

I recon the question is: how fast do you want to do the race? If you just want to finish and don't mind suffering then you can probably do it

I recon the question is: how fast do you want to do the race? If you just want to finish and don't mind suffering then you can probably do it

I naturally would like to finish as strong and fast as possible, but for my first one I would be happy with a finish. 

I am confident that the bike leg could be done comfortably by proper pacing and following cadence rather that average speed.  The run, well in my case funny walk, I am not worried about time, and can walk where necessary.  The swim, is probably the most feared, as I get the least time and exposure on training due to circumstances.  There is no cheat codes on the swim, if I cannot complete it the race is over before it started.  By the way, if during the swim I have the need to hang on to one of the support boats or kayak's, will I be disqualified automatically?

ta

shift work if possible, start late and end late or start early and end early, I am on 7am-4pm now with no lunch break(just snack at desk while working) also helps having an understanding boss.

16:15-18:15 is training, home by 18:30

2 nights a week I have postgrad lectures so then it is 5:30am-6:30am training and then work and class in evenings.

Weekends klap it!

I naturally would like to finish as strong and fast as possible, but for my first one I would be happy with a finish. 

I am confident that the bike leg could be done comfortably by proper pacing and following cadence rather that average speed.  The run, well in my case funny walk, I am not worried about time, and can walk where necessary.  The swim, is probably the most feared, as I get the least time and exposure on training due to circumstances.  There is no cheat codes on the swim, if I cannot complete it the race is over before it started.  By the way, if during the swim I have the need to hang on to one of the support boats or kayak's, will I be disqualified automatically?

ta

You wont need anything to hang on to, if you need to take a breather, you can tread water and easily float in a wetsuit with minimal effort.... or do some breast stroke, have even see someone doing backstroke for a while... just keep moving even if slowly whilst you catch your breath or take in your bearings and surroundings.