Trek Stache

FCH

Anyone out there that has bought one and rode it extensively?

As the bike can take any format wheel, it looks like a nice toy for some (almost) fattie riding and donning normal 650 or 29er formats on for hardtail riding.

Thoughts?

I've been riding one for a while now, love it. It climbs so well, handles like a 650b. Every customer that used my demo has ultimately come back raving about it, and bought one. Easy maintenance, and just begging to be pimped! 

You will be surprised at how well it climbs and accelerates.

I know your hood pretty well FCH, it will destroy G-Spot!!

Goid to hear, very keen to get a hardtail in the shed again, cant justify those 20 grand plus carbon farmes though.

Looks like an option, if you throw on some light weight 29er wheels that you can get some decent pace out of it, then the 3 inchers to go play.... Like G spot!

Can't comment on the Stache but I've been riding a Krampus extensively for the past 18 months. the 29+ format will take all your preconceptions about a rigid bike and stomp all over them with those 3" tyres. Hugely capable and a lot of fun.

Onto the Stache, I like the elevated chainstays, if you want to run belt drive or some such.

• 1 year later...

I have ridden a demo Stache and loved it, don't have budget right now for one but a definite bike I would look into...I see there is the Roscoe option which is more of a budget bike that comes with 27.5+ and can take normal 29 wheels...mmmmm....

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-8/p/2044600-2018/?colorCode=orange

You will never use the non plus wheels...  :thumbup:

This thread got me thinking...

After many years of drooling and saving I've finally become the proud owner of the "perfect" bike a while back and with that I hoped that the endless search for the ultimate ride would disappear...

i ride a santacruz 5010c and I LOVE it.  I may be biased, but I still haven't ridden on any other bike out there that compares in terms of versatility, general ride comfort and performance.  the only downside to the 5010 is cost, both from a capital and a maintenance point of view.

so the basic question (hopefully from someone who's ridden both bikes), how does something like a trek stache compare to the 5010?  are these bikes even remotely comparable and if so on what terrain do these respective bikes come to their own?  The idea of a light weight, slack angled, maintenance friendly plus sized HT coming in at ~50% of the cost of a high-spec full suspension trail bike is quite appealing for future choices

This thread got me thinking...

After many years of drooling and saving I've finally become the proud owner of the "perfect" bike a while back and with that I hoped that the endless search for the ultimate ride would disappear...

i ride a santacruz 5010c and I LOVE it.  I may be biased, but I still haven't ridden on any other bike out there that compares in terms of versatility, general ride comfort and performance.  the only downside to the 5010 is cost, both from a capital and a maintenance point of view.

so the basic question (hopefully from someone who's ridden both bikes), how does something like a trek stache compare to the 5010?  are these bikes even remotely comparable and if so on what terrain do these respective bikes come to their own?  The idea of a light weight, slack angled, maintenance friendly plus sized HT coming in at ~50% of the cost of a high-spec full suspension trail bike is quite appealing for future choices

That Santa Cruz looks like an awesome machine, to put the Stache in the same league I think you would have to look at the Stache 9.7 with a carbon frame etc...but yes the Stache is a nice option if you want to go less maintenance etc.

To compare apples to apples with the 5010c you would look at the Trek Fuel EX 9.8+ which I see Trek do not bring into SA - I suppose with the + size only just taking off their offering (Trek) is not bad taking into consideration they have 8 models in their lineup locally...

• 4 months later...

picking up on an old thread....

I just got a Stache 5 after seeing it for the first time 3 years ago or so. (When I saw the bike I knew I had to own one). Thanks Super Stoked Cycles  :thumbup:

I traded my Epic Carbon Comp for it and I love riding the Stache. I did my first long ride on it and I haven't missed the Epic. Baring in mind that I have a chromoly SS with a carbon rigid fork so I am used to taking a knock or two BUT this bike is still surprisingly comfy. 

This bike is crazy fun going down hills, climbs like a dream especially the rocky technical ones and I think that these bigger wheels make for faster rolling than 29s BUT my legs still need to get used to the bigger wheels, they started cramping the day i started riding it.... Ill HTFU soon

28379388_10204536215763065_7085634198743

I've come to the conclusion that plus sized tyres belong on hard tails (well for me anyway). Had them on a mid travel dual suspension bike and was underwhelmed. Got 29ers for the dually and built a plus hardtail around the wheels I had - it is so much fun!! The plus wheels grip for days, take the harsh edge off having a hardtail, and because it's a hardtail they accelerate fast, and with the right geo descend like a demon. Plus hard tails have many of the advantages of a dual suspension bike (grip, comfort, etc), with the added benefit of not having to service pivot bearings or a rear shock.

I haven't ridden the Stache or Roscoe, but based on my experience with plus hard tails and other Treks bikes I would think think this would be a great buy.

Only downside is the Boost QR standard. Everyone is on Boost TA now, but you will find your options for wheels are limited when it comes to Trek's Boost QR standard.

Completely agree with G_M plus wheels are for hardtails. Had plus wheels on my Hightower and pedal strikes were plentiful & annoying. Fun in the rocks but that’s where it ended. And doing distance on that bike with those wheels was nowhere near as efficient as 29r’s.

My current bike can take plus wheels but haven’t even entertained the idea even though I still had the plus wheels sitting in garage.

Rode the nerds spaz fuse this wkd and that’s where plus wheels belong,on a hardtail. Takes more than the edge of a ht yet still remains pedal efficient and fun. Great training bike for distance me thinks .

• 4 weeks later...

Took my Stache 5 out this weekend for the first ride on my local trails and I must say, it is an insane lekker bike. I cannot remember when last I had such a jol down and up! I sold my XC FS Superfly and got me the Stache, got tired of the high maintenance costs for FS and also the XC geometry. I was concerned that I might regret the decision, but I can't see myself regretting it at all (Note, I am a weekend warrior). Very nice modern geometry and the 3inch wheels were made for mtb'ing. The bike also climbs well and isn't that slow on tar neither. All in all, a very cool ride ;)

• 3 months later...

Can't comment on the Stache but I've been riding a Krampus extensively for the past 18 months. the 29+ format will take all your preconceptions about a rigid bike and stomp all over them with those 3" tyres. Hugely capable and a lot of fun.

Onto the Stache, I like the elevated chainstays, if you want to run belt drive or some such.

Very late to the party but I also dig my Krampus! I can ride most places here in Stellenbosch without too much hassle but rock gardens at speed beats me up. Would't mind having a dropper post though.

Just a pity 29+ tires are so damn expensive and rare.

Archived