SRAM XO Crank conversion to 1x11 Shimano... whatever i don't know

Mrs Balls

Hi Hubbers, 

I have been running my SRAM X0 (2X10) setup in the picture below. I've had a few setbacks and would like to move away from SRAM. 

Is it possible to retain the cranck in some way or form and purchace a XT1x11 groupset and marry the two without spending to much $? New xt crancks are expensive and there is not much wrong with the crank arms. 

Can anyone propose a product or two that I can use to retain the crank and run XT?

post-24341-0-72346000-1465380355_thumb.jpg

yes, you can buy 120BCD chainrings, or which looks much nicer, get direct mount chainrings, Kiwi here on the hub does them, for very nice pricings

Lets get to the Elephant in the room, what "setback" did you have with SRAM that makes you even considering dropping it in favor of Shimano.

That's a HUGE step backwards.  :whistling:  :ph34r: 

what problems have you had that makes you want to move away from SRAM.

Shimano won't give you any more joy if your setup is incorrect

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for the input and replies. 

For the record, I'm not opposed to running SRAM, when comparing my other bikes and previous experiences I'm just leaning a bit to the Shimano side. So, the elephant in the room is me, a heavy rider looking for a groupset that will be a relatively new but more reliable and robust that light weight and technologically advanced.

For me Shimano ticks the boxes, and at the pace I break things shim should be cheaper too?

I've found SRAM to be more reliable than Shimano, actually. What broke, how? 

Except, it must be said, in the crank & BB department. Shimano holds the crown there. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

No problem whatsoever, I'm running X0 crank with Shimano XT 1 x 11. Not sure what your problem is.

Get a direct mount chainring, save weight, look cooler.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2014/12/16/1418752209504-wcaxobjj3vtp-960-540.jpg

As for the SRAM vs Shimano debate - SRAM wins every time, it's just moer expensive.

Edited by droo

I'm looking to move to XT mix with XO Arms and aftermarket chainring. As for what was the issue with XO, teeth came of the chainring, and the one that followed. The carbon on the rear deraileur also started to come appart. The parts were cleaned after almost every ride en the crank never hit any rocks or boulders when riding over obstacles. A combination of missing teeth and a not to functional rear mech had me buying new chains every other week as they would twist etc. I know I'm not a bike mechanic or technical guy, but when compared to my group of friend my SRAM components had far more "issues" that their Shimano speced bikes provided, we always ride together. Bike had meen looked after a LBS that does my other bikes too, and no problems there, so I wouldn't blame it on faulty installation. 

I'm looking to move to XT mix with XO Arms and aftermarket chainring. As for what was the issue with XO, teeth came of the chainring, and the one that followed. The carbon on the rear deraileur also started to come appart. The parts were cleaned after almost every ride en the crank never hit any rocks or boulders when riding over obstacles. A combination of missing teeth and a not to functional rear mech had me buying new chains every other week as they would twist etc. I know I'm not a bike mechanic or technical guy, but when compared to my group of friend my SRAM components had far more "issues" that their Shimano speced bikes provided, we always ride together. Bike had meen looked after a LBS that does my other bikes too, and no problems there, so I wouldn't blame it on faulty installation. 

Get an X1 / GX rear derailleur and you'll be sorted. No need to switch your entire drivetrain to shimano because some carbon delaminated. GX / X1 RD's are also far more hardy than the X01 / XX1 stuff. No carbon = no problem. 

Also get a direct-mount chainring from Kalbo / EvoBikes / CSixx etc and don't look back. 

As for the broken / missing teeth - that doesn't just happen by itself. That's probably an impact or some VERY bad shifting. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

stripped teeth off chainring?

Sold to a rock somewhere out there.

Delaminating carbon on the derailleur cage?

Again it must have taken a knock to cause that. The derailleur cage is replaceable btw.

Both issues can and will happen to Shimano if your bike handling technique Is not light enough.

Many okes think they can soema donner through the terrain with gay abandon (notice lower case "g") and nothing will happen. Chainring teeth get hit by rocks coming off the front wheel all the time. Same rocks bonce and hit rear derailleurs.

I think your moneys better spent on a skills clinic and bike maintenance workshop.