Hack / Bodge an SS

Odinson

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm in the process of converting my hardtail from a 2X9 to a 1X11 (SRAM NX) set-up. This is the first time that I'm really doing my own wrenching, so there have been a few small snags along the way. The latest of which is a bent derailieur hanger. I've ordered a new one, but it won't arrive before the weekend.

So, the question is whether I can remove the RD and shifter, shorten the chain and "convert" the bike to a SS just for the weekend using the current 11spd cassette.

It's obviously not ideal, but just to be able to get some riding in over the weekend.

Edited by Odinson

Can you bend the hanger back into shape? Assuming it is not broken.

Converting into a SS as you describe is not foolproof. Mostly the chain tends to pick up onto a bigger sprocket at the back when you ride. Then it becomes very tight. I have used this trick a few times when the derailleur breaks during a ride (road and MTB). You then need to keep stopping and manually put the chain down again. Sometimes it works OK, but most times it doesn't.

For a proper SS, it is better just to have one cog on the back.

could be easier to bend the hanger as straight as possible and ride like that.

you could still pretend you are riding a single speed by choosing a gear and taping up the shifter... if you really want to.

Thanks, guys.

The deraileur isn't totally busted, so I might be able to "massage" it back into shape.

Shifts might be a bit dodgy, but it might work.

Edited by Odinson

Post a pic of your hanger and challenge the hub to lend you one for the weekend. I am sure you won't wreck someone's spare hanger in a couple of rides.

Post a pic of your hanger and challenge the hub to lend you one for the weekend. I am sure you won't wreck someone's spare hanger in a couple of rides.

Might be a little bit difficult to get it to him before the weekend though!!

Might be a little bit difficult to get it to him before the weekend though!!

I believe Aramex are based in Asgard....

I believe Aramex are based in Asgard....

I think Asgard have a more efficient delivery system. Mordor however....

this si dangerous but try heating it up to 100-15o deg centigrade and putting it in a vice between two flat pieces of steel and just ligtly apply pressure until its straight (don't deform it )

Every decent lbs should have the tool to bend the Hanger straight.

It bolts onto the Hanger via the same thread the derailleur uses, and then has a long lever to straighten said hanger.

Then when you get the new hanger bolt it onto your bike, and chuck the straightened hanger as a backup into your toolbox for rainy days like this.