Ironman 70.3 East London 2017

fanievb

Thanks for sharing the link shaper.

I think it will be much better to get involved with a group. Especially with the swim, as I have seen how much improvement can come from training with a swim coach (I had 4 lessons in Nov and it was vast improvement).

Training with people just helps me get over the boredom of some days. Also it keeps you motivated.

I will get in touch with them to see how my wife can fit in.

Cool, you will see trifactri are in and around the JHB northern suburbs and most of the riding is done out at the cradle.  I see them there most weekends

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much ICM. Appreciate the input. I've just edited my post with the last line I've added. Please let me know if it changes your view!

No, I had never run a marathon either....prior to ironman that is. The furtherest I had ever run/walked was 28kays... I ssuffered but finished.

Up until Nov last year I had never run a marathon outside of my ironman marathons....its not essential to do so and some tri coaches actually recommend you don't.

Don't worry about it... keep training and DONT run a marathon between now and 2 APril either. The recovery time required will hurt your training

So I'll give you my take...

I have been cycling competitively for 2 years. I had a bad crash at the 947 - broke 2 ribs and fractured some others. While lying in the ER I decided that triathlons would be a fantastic idea. With that in mind, I secured a sponsorship entry to the East London 70.3 - an event which was 9 weeks away...pffft...piece of cake.

I knew upfront that a finish would not be possible without the guidance of an experienced coach so I did my research and came across the name of Lynette van der Merwe (also mentioned above). Contacted her, told her my goals and we got started. 

Understand this - I am not a runner. I think the longest run I had ever done was a 10km fun run which I finished in 1hr30 or thereabouts. I have not been in the pool for years, last did 'laps' in high-school. To top this all off, I had a stabbing pain from hell whenever I breathed deeply. I was adamant that I would get through the training and the race without being loaded on pain meds or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.

My first triathlon was the Trinity - felt good at the race and completed it taking in a ton of lessons. Lynette met me in person before the race to chat strategy and give me her take. I finished 2nd in my category and will receive Gauteng colours in March.

Now onto the 70.3...with challenges that would surely derail even experienced athletes, I was able to hold it together - my wetsuit zip breaking on the start line, diving into freezing waters, numb body and legs that could barely get my up the transition ramp, to a puncture on a rear disc (fun to change) and a bee sting on the ride. I somehow managed to pull it together and finish in 5:20.

Since that race I have now entered for the full in PE and will get a sub-10. :)

What do I put this down to...?

Mind over matter, knowing and understanding the difference between good and bad pain and dealing with it, finding the perfect coach, listening to that coach, trusting the program, open communication and self-belief.

My advice - find your perfect coach and get started!

Fantastic

Sub 10 would be super human....

As I mentioned previously, some guys are natural athletes,,,,i can recognize it and admire it but I aint ever going to be one. For me its a slog...except for the swim.

Sub 10 would be super human....

He would most certainly be a FlyingScot! 10 hours is very impressive. 

As for me, 70.3 EL 2018 will be my first HIM. You guys are inspirational. If I can get it done in 7 hours, I will be over the moon. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Gees you guys did fantastic. 

I really struggled on the bike.  My knee (ITB) started giving my crap just after half way, If I had seen a sweeper vehicle i probably would have pulled out.  I had to cycle the last 20km pedaling with one leg.  I had the times wrong and though 5:05 was cut off so when i hobbled home, and shook my head at my coach he shouted just get running and see how it goes.  No one pulled me out and didn't see my name on the cut off board so grabbed my shoes and went out to run.  Surprisingly no pain at all, very weird.  Anyway pulled a 2:30 run and finished in 7:44 not great but considering I almost pulled out I am stoked that i finished.

He would most certainly be a FlyingScot! 10 hours is very impressive. 

As for me, 70.3 EL 2018 will be my first HIM. You guys are inspirational. If I can get it done in 7 hours, I will be over the moon. 

Why wait? Durban half in June...!

Why wait? Durban half in June...!

Doing some smaller Olys and Sprints in between. I don't even have my bike yet... Have not been on a bike since I was a teenager. Everyone thinks I am nuts, but I am determined to do this. 

Can't wait to get my bike. Planning on Cervelo S2. Not looking forward to the clipless pedals. If you see someone falling over slowly on a Cervelo, that's probably me... 

Anyway pulled a 2:30 run and finished in 7:44 not great but considering I almost pulled out I am stoked that i finished.

Well done! Even though I am new to tri's, I am sure that these types of events build character. Pushing through like that is some crazy mental fortitude. 

Run: Well started nicely and my new Hoka's really helped to manage the pain-love those kicks.

Where did you get the Hoka's? been waiting impatiently for stores to start stocking them.

Where did you get the Hoka's? been waiting impatiently for stores to start stocking them.

I am lucky that I have 2 options-Our companies regional office is in London so I order in the UK/Europe and the Colleagues/Mules bring it back. Was a lottery first time with size but got it right Lucky. Also was in NZ for Taupo 70.3 in Dec and managed to get a pair of Valour's for Xmas from the missus for $99 on a show special. 

I have asked Hullabaloo who will bring in Hokas in SA but have not heard anything back-so untill they decide to give some service I will continue to get it via other means. 

You have to get some the are the $h!t

Edited by Wheelsuck

Look I think the learning curve was MUCH steeper than expected. Overall I am happy with the result of just finishing.

I think next time will be much easier as you know what to expect.

But the pacing is something that I will have to work on sooner rather than later and also look at the nutrition.

How do you know what is enough or too little though?

The new bike never made it there.

After the setup issues I had, I only had 2 weeks to get on the bike, and get use to it. My shoulders were too fatigued after about a 20km ride, so I decided to not mess the bike up just so that I can take the new toy...

I now have a few months, so it will most definitely be going to Durbs...

Thanks, I will take the pain and enjoy it next to the Shirt and medal.

Here is my take on the Pacing issue; Use a heart rate monitor to keep yourself within your limits on the cycle and run.

During your long training rides, work out what average heart rate you can maintain so that you get off the bike feeling reasonably fresh, knowing you could complete the run. During your actual race, stay at this heart rate average or just below, during the cycle leg. Don't be tempted to exceed this, no matter who passes you, or how good you feeling.

For example, I know that if I stick to 148 to 150 bpm for the cycle leg, I know that I am going to have a reasonable run. As soon as I go above 154 bpm for extended periods, I know that I will be swallowing hard at some point on the run.

Everyone has to blow at some point during a triathlon to get the hang of Pacing.

Hope this helps somewhat.

the more I read the more I realize how far I have to go to complete a 70.3 .  Again, well done to all and thx for the inspiration.

I think there is ONLY 1 way to complete a 70.3

....Enter one....

You will soon realise that you need to train, and once you have started you'll realise how far each of the legs actually are (especially the swim if you have never swam before)

You will also then do a few short courses just to use to the race environment and again realised OOOH Sh*t I have to do more...

But come race day, you will be ready... Be it just finishing by dragging yourself over the line, or smashing each leg... You would've paid a hell of a lot of money for entry, accomodation, commute etc etc. Your mind should then just be ready to pull your aching body through...

Summary of all of the above "Just enter without thinking" the rest will follow!!!

Here is my take on the Pacing issue; Use a heart rate monitor to keep yourself within your limits on the cycle and run.

During your long training rides, work out what average heart rate you can maintain so that you get off the bike feeling reasonably fresh, knowing you could complete the run. During your actual race, stay at this heart rate average or just below, during the cycle leg. Don't be tempted to exceed this, no matter who passes you, or how good you feeling.

For example, I know that if I stick to 148 to 150 bpm for the cycle leg, I know that I am going to have a reasonable run. As soon as I go above 154 bpm for extended periods, I know that I will be swallowing hard at some point on the run.

Everyone has to blow at some point during a triathlon to get the hang of Pacing.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I did try this in EL.... I just had NO idea of what this number was.

I thought maybe 160, so I kept my HR there LOL... Clearly it was too high.

Will ensure I have this figure pinned down come Durbs

Now just to get the right coach also. Have taken this week off due to all the pain and burns, but want to start building next week for Durbs - Properly this time though (no ad hoc training like for EL)

I think there is ONLY 1 way to complete a 70.3

....Enter one....

You will soon realise that you need to train, and once you have started you'll realise how far each of the legs actually are (especially the swim if you have never swam before)

You will also then do a few short courses just to use to the race environment and again realised OOOH Sh*t I have to do more...

But come race day, you will be ready... Be it just finishing by dragging yourself over the line, or smashing each leg... You would've paid a hell of a lot of money for entry, accomodation, commute etc etc. Your mind should then just be ready to pull your aching body through...

Summary of all of the above "Just enter without thinking" the rest will follow!!!

thx for this, I currently trying to get enough training time in to do Sun City in May.  Did the sprint last year, need to up my game for the ultra.  Currently just really concerned about the amount of hours I have to get quality training done. 

I did try this in EL.... I just had NO idea of what this number was.

I thought maybe 160, so I kept my HR there LOL... Clearly it was too high.

Will ensure I have this figure pinned down come Durbs

Now just to get the right coach also. Have taken this week off due to all the pain and burns, but want to start building next week for Durbs - Properly this time though (no ad hoc training like for EL)

If you ever in Durbs and you wanting to do a sea swim, give me a call. I live some way out of town, but I am always keen to head there for some gentleswim training.