Ironman 70.3 East London 2017

fanievb

thx for this, I currently trying to get enough training time in to do Sun City in May.  Did the sprint last year, need to up my game for the ultra.  Currently just really concerned about the amount of hours I have to get quality training done. 

No Prob

I was lucky with the cycling as I have been doing this for around 7 years .

But other than this I was blank. Started training for EL in about Aug, but was never able to get a full week of training in (due to laziness primarily)

All in all I would say I had about 3 days of training each week, with some week 2 days and the weekends I was on and off with 1 day... There was a few challenges why I couldn't.

AND I FINISHED...

Look I did struggle and it was a very hard day out, but I got that feeling of what it fees like to finish and now I am motivated to push a great time in June...

It think it also helps if you have people around you to keep the motivation up. Its not like training for a rugby match where you look 1 week ahead and you can be motivated for the game, 5 or 6 months of training and all for 1 race, or 3 if you do smaller ones in between. But its hard to stay focussed for that long without getting the adrenaline pumping in between.

So get someone/something to keep the spirits up and do running or cycling races in between just to intermediate goals to train for

Just my 2c, as I am also very new to this whole Tri business :-)

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did try this in EL.... I just had NO idea of what this number was.

I thought maybe 160, so I kept my HR there LOL... Clearly it was too high.

Will ensure I have this figure pinned down come Durbs

Now just to get the right coach also. Have taken this week off due to all the pain and burns, but want to start building next week for Durbs - Properly this time though (no ad hoc training like for EL)

Try 180 less your age formula heart rate as a starting point with regard to pacing and adjust from there on how you feel https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

Do some light spinning and easy jogging in Zone 1 heart rate this week as active recovery, will help with the lactic acid and body pains

I am lucky that I have 2 options-Our companies regional office is in London so I order in the UK/Europe and the Colleagues/Mules bring it back. Was a lottery first time with size but got it right Lucky. Also was in NZ for Taupo 70.3 in Dec and managed to get a pair of Valour's for Xmas from the missus for $99 on a show special. 

I have asked Hullabaloo who will bring in Hokas in SA but have not heard anything back-so untill they decide to give some service I will continue to get it via other means. 

You have to get some the are the $h!t

Hmm the London option is very possible for me, I have a colleague coming back in the next two weeks from there for some meetings. Any idea on where to get them?

Sizing wise compared to other available brands are they quite similar?

Hullabaloo are supposed to start stocking later this month but Im not holding my breath and the pricing is probably going to be nutty.

thx for this, I currently trying to get enough training time in to do Sun City in May.  Did the sprint last year, need to up my game for the ultra.  Currently just really concerned about the amount of hours I have to get quality training done. 

I have signed up for the Sprint in May. Been training for a few weeks now, and it's slow. Meeting with a coach from MyProgram Generator today to understand the training a bit better. What are you using for your training? Any specific plan? 

the reason we all swam further and longer

pics: Craig Muller Media https://www.facebook.com/pg/BackyardAdventuresSA/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1577037678991694 

Can't access the link... There are plenty more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/BackyardAdventuresSA

2276m for me...

I remember my first Olymipic tri, last year November. The course was 1.5km and I swam 2.1km just coz I couldn't keep it straight. You should see the strava - LOL

2243m for me from that inflatable start arch that blew away as i got it to finish arch.  Did anyone get zapped by that shark thing they spoke about in briefing.  I just stay a little clear of the markers.

2276m for me...

I remember my first Olymipic tri, last year November. The course was 1.5km and I swam 2.1km just coz I couldn't keep it straight. You should see the strava - LOL

I just nailed my bilateral swimming, and I am hoping that with my navigation training from scuba diving, I shouldn't have this issue...