Mountain biker killed by bear

Piston ZA

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/mountain-biker-killed-grizzly-bear-montana.html

R.I.P. 

A 38-YEAR-OLD MOUNTAIN BIKER HAS BEEN KILLED BY A GRIZZLY BEAR WHILE RIDING NEAR GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, MONTANA.

Brad Treat and another rider were riding in the Half Moon Lakes area of the Flathead National Forest on Wednesday when they reportedly surprised the bear and it attacked Treat. He was knocked off his bike and his fellow rider went to look for help.

Treat’s body was found at the scene but the bear was nowhere to be seen. Park Authorities were searching for it on Wednesday evening and the area has been closed to the public.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hectically sad

grizzlys usually will leave you alone unless you surprise them which apparently is just what happened - terrible combination :(

I know it is terribly sad, but if I had a choice between a bear and a Golden Arrow bus......

I know someone who is very involved in the conservation of raptors, in particular threatened Cape Vultures. He put a clause in his will that after his death he wants his body to be left at a certain "vulture restaurant" that he helped to establish in his efforts to save the species. He feels that he is spending his life on this, he might as well carry on a little longer after his death and not waste valuable protein. Makabre, I thought, but he has a point and it may well be a very good public awareness campaign to help the vultures. All that said, I think his family is going to have a struggle to do this. I'm sure there will be a million regulations against it.

I know someone who is very involved in the conservation of raptors, in particular threatened Cape Vultures. He put a clause in his will that after his death he wants his body to be left at a certain "vulture restaurant" that he helped to establish in his efforths to save the species. He feels that he is spending his life on this, he might as well carry on a little longer after his death and not waste valuable protein. Makabre, I thought, but he has a point and it may well be a very good public awareness campaign to help the vultures. All that said, I think his family is going to have a struggle to do this. I'm sure there will be a million regulations against it.

Not a million, just two: six feet under or the oven - take your pick.

I know someone who is very involved in the conservation of raptors, in particular threatened Cape Vultures. He put a clause in his will that after his death he wants his body to be left at a certain "vulture restaurant" that he helped to establish in his efforths to save the species. He feels that he is spending his life on this, he might as well carry on a little longer after his death and not waste valuable protein. Makabre, I thought, but he has a point and it may well be a very good public awareness campaign to help the vultures. All that said, I think his family is going to have a struggle to do this. I'm sure there will be a million regulations against it.

Many years ago (before I knew about MTB) I was at van gaalens and I'm sure I saw something about donating your body to the vultures. I started finding out about it , my friends think I was seeing things as apparently it's illegal.

The Tibetans do it- these so called 'sky burials' - if you're not too squeamish - Google it. I think it's a beautiful sending off back to the earth and considering a) the cost of funerals and b) the lack of land for traditional burials - this would be a great alternative I think.

Many years ago (before I knew about MTB) I was at van gaalens and I'm sure I saw something about donating your body to the vultures. I started finding out about it , my friends think I was seeing things as apparently it's illegal.

The Tibetans do it- these so called 'sky burials' - if you're not too squeamish - Google it. I think it's a beautiful sending off back to the earth and considering a) the cost of funerals and b) the lack of land for traditional burials - this would be a great alternative I think.

Yeah there's a pdf that did the rounds years ago with pics of it. The lay the bodies out on the ground and cut them a bit to allow for easier access. Then once the birds have removed all the meat from the bones they mash the bones up and feed them that too. 

And should have added:

I feel awful thinking it but I'd prefer it too a bus...

Actually you would prefer a bus, bear will eat you while you are still alive. Many documented cases, terrible way to die as the bear starts with your soft tissue.

Actually you would prefer a bus, bear will eat you while you are still alive. Many documented cases, terrible way to die as the bear starts with your soft tissue.

Hom nom nom...

If you have a strong stomach Google Timothy Treadwell. There is a sound recording of him being eaten by a bear. He was some sort of environmentalist who worked with bears.

WARNING it is not for the squeemish!

Archived