[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

Honestly, that group could have gone sub 3 if more than 2 people did some work.

It amazes me that open seeded bunches want to ride for time, but then leave it up to only a few to pull and dictate the time that is then achieved. This is very silly. By only letting 2-3 guys do most of the work, people effectively reside themselves to those guys times. 2-3 guys pulling into a headwind will tire them out so quickly.

Top tip for groups going for time. Help the stronger guys in your group, even if it is just a bit, it will give them some recovery time and they can then pull the rest for longer and harder.

I've spent the best part of 2015 and 2016 dropping back from age cat racing to ride with club members (a few other members too, not only me). Mostly to get them to help drive the pace, rather than sit in the bunch, suck wheel as get a good time. My seeding index is suffering as a result, and have to ride in VB at the odd race to ensure I maintain a semi-decent level.

We started it in 2015 at the Emperor's race - a few may remember the "radios in the lower bunches" thread. It started that day, in EL - and most of the guys wanting to race are now in AL for most races. We occasionally drop down to BL if one or two guys aren't seeded in AL for a specific race.

Most of the guys in the alphabet groups don't know how to race tactically, be it on roads with full road closure (they keep left around the sweeping right turns), or can't maintain a rolling pace line (they usually surge ahead and the pace drops).

I would love to give back knowledge I've learnt over the years, and to help the B, C, D's to improve their cycling. Sadly, many aren't interested and only want a good time. A group working together can be much faster than a group sucking a few wheels.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding some L, M or N riders' time being better or catching A riders, I was in the C batch and I remember seeing a guy with an N number. Not sure how he got there, but he was with us from the beginning and he crossed the start mat with us. This means he slipped through the marshals at the start.

So Racetec will have a hard time "cleaning up" such things as that is the guy's true time.

Edit: Racetec won't show the race number, but the batch they started with. My bad. So clean up is necessary then, I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Edited by Lostee

Panic training for me... have only had one long ride last weekend.

A few interval sessions at home but one endurance ride since the Amashova.

Will be sucking wheel in VC at the Cycle Challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have thought u needed more?

2621 timed results - 78% of the entries received (excluding day entries on Sunday).

Still have to receive the list of casualties, but I know it was low, plus add a few DNF's to the list.

It means plenty cycled without a chip.

Does that mean the Satellite Classic really had 5000 entries (2500 timed)?

Not happy with my ride, lost AL at about 30km. Caught a guy with black & green dimension data kit and worked nicely together until we caught another two guys- one with a pink top and the other with a white top. We worked nicely together until the front of B caught us at about 60km mark and stayed with them till the finish.

My legs were toast from early on, which is not a good sign for next weekend. Thanks to those 3 guys. When I fell off A bunch I saw a long day ahead of me, especially with the wind.

Regarding some L, M or N riders' time being better or catching A riders, I was in the C batch and I remember seeing a guy with an N number. Not sure how he got there, but he was with us from the beginning and he crossed the start mat with us. This means he slipped through the marshals at the start.

So Racetec will have a hard time "cleaning up" such things as that is the guy's true time.

Edit: Racetec won't show the race number, but the batch they started with. My bad. So clean up is necessary then, I guess.

Do RaceTec actually clean up these results?

I've seen quite a few fishy results on RaceTec (some impossible), which just stays there.

I guess RaceTec need to start using tracking chips hahaha

Oops! Sorry about that.

Where was the race commissaire? Would've been in a car. The bike marshal is only there to assist with traffic.

Sorry, not Marshall, the Race commissaire eventually came up to the tandems after Heidelberg to tell them to ride off or back off. Our bunch eased up to allow a few to ride off the front. Just felt this should have happened when the groups got together. Problem was, still early in the tandem race, so still a big group of all capabilities, so couldn't leave VC behind, ad the VC bunch would drop tandems the minute road went up.

Not your fault Gerald, just think Commissaire could've acted sooner.

I've seen quite a few fishy results on RaceTec (some impossible), which just stays there.

Haha tracking would be best. My last race before this one shows 9 hours. It was 90km hahaha. And it was my last day using my old Garmin Edge 200. After the race, I wiped the history off and gave it to a friend... my parting gift. Then a few hours later, Racetec has my time all wrong.

I just left it! Didn't know what to do without any proof.

But to answer your question, they never fix results unless someone asks.

And normally a person will ask for their benefit... so expect to see those there for a very long time.

Sorry, not Marshall, the Race commissaire eventually came up to the tandems after Heidelberg to tell them to ride off or back off. Our bunch eased up to allow a few to ride off the front. Just felt this should have happened when the groups got together. Problem was, still early in the tandem race, so still a big group of all capabilities, so couldn't leave VC behind, ad the VC bunch would drop tandems the minute road went up.

Not your fault Gerald, just think Commissaire could've acted sooner.

Yes, but I can delay the start of the tandems if VC hasn't reached a certain point at a certain time. As this was the first time VC were doing the 125Km, we were bound to experience a problem. 

How many tandems were involved?

Edited by geraldm24

agree with you to point. But I know of 5 guys in our bunch that rode near the front and every time it was there turn somehow disappeared . I called the one guy out he came to front and did maybe 2 minutes and never saw him again untill the last turn when he sprinted past me.

I was practising my strategy for when I become pro... :ph34r:

First time we are using Racetec.

It was discussed yesterday, and I requested that suspect results be removed. Will be done later, otherwise I will follow up.

If anyone has access to live tracking devices, I could use these at the race. It helps to place the racing groups on the road rather than rely on a phone call, Whatsapp message.

Yes, but I can delay the start of the tandems if VC hasn't reached a certain point at a certain time. As this was the first time VC were doing the 125Km, we were bound to experience a problem. 

How many tandems were involved?

A short delay would've made a huge difference. When they merged with us must have been 10-15. When the commissaire intervened, probably 3. 2 rode off the front, and then a 3rd was told to either drop off or go past.