[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

We (6 of us from the club) did the Transvaal Galvaniser's MTB race yesterday. I heard a few comments after the race that the route was too flat. Our event will be using the same tracks in the area, although not all in the same direction.

Is a flat route really a problem? There were a few nice (high speed) sections, single track and lots of district road/jeep track. The Team Karan Beef guys obviously enjoyed their race, dominating the podium.

As our (MTB) event is the week before the 947 MTB, and two weeks before the road race, it's probably better to be riding a faster route with less technical bits that could cause unwanted injuries.

It's been almost 2 years since I last did a MTB race and I was surprised by the low number of trail side repairs being done - I recall 3 people having problems with punctures, and one of our own members breaking his chain riding through a water crossing.

Back to yesterday - the lone water point was a concern, even though this was a fast route. We plan to have 3 water points on the 60Km and 2 on the 30Km. Luckily we have a road race the following day to move any unused food items to those water points.

Remember that if you enter the Road and MTB event at the same time, you will qualify for the R40 discount.

So, we get left overs? :blink:

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just entered for both.

Now just need to start training again after a 6 week winter break.

Come join us in the mornings (again), you'll be fit in less than 6 weeks. We start at 05:00 from this coming Saturday. Edited by geraldm24

We (6 of us from the club) did the Transvaal Galvaniser's MTB race yesterday. I heard a few comments after the race that the route was too flat. Our event will be using the same tracks in the area, although not all in the same direction.

Is a flat route really a problem? There were a few nice (high speed) sections, single track and lots of district road/jeep track. The Team Karan Beef guys obviously enjoyed their race, dominating the podium.

As our (MTB) event is the week before the 947 MTB, and two weeks before the road race, it's probably better to be riding a faster route with less technical bits that could cause unwanted injuries.

It's been almost 2 years since I last did a MTB race and I was surprised by the low number of trail side repairs being done - I recall 3 people having problems with punctures, and one of our own members breaking his chain riding through a water crossing.

Back to yesterday - the lone water point was a concern, even though this was a fast route. We plan to have 3 water points on the 60Km and 2 on the 30Km. Luckily we have a road race the following day to move any unused food items to those water points.

Remember that if you enter the Road and MTB event at the same time, you will qualify for the R40 discount.

We don't have an abundance of open trails where we can ride so must be thankful for what we get, places like Northern farm, Modderfontein, Big Red barn are specific so you cant compare. There will always be complaints, too little single track, not enough climbs, but then complaints of hogging single track, riders dismounting and pushing up "rideable" climbs pop up. 

Come join us in the mornings (again), you'll be fit in less than 6 weeks. We start at 05:00 from this coming Saturday.

Is that the ride from Johnnys?

Gerald, if it's racetec timed, can One assume that it will be an Argus seeding event?

Sorry, if asked before, I haven't been following the thread.

Unfortunately we were unable to get onto the 2017 premier seeding list for the CTCT - once they publish the list they don't add any event until the following year.

As it is a Racetec-timed event, it still counts for the seeding but carries a 5% penalty whereas the premier events don't. If the seeding from the premier events is higher than from this event, then our event will count.

For the cyclist that only does the Cycle Challenge, it could happen that they don't finish, or have a bad day. In this case, the seeding from our event is considered.

We have requested to be included on the applications list for 2018.

• 2 weeks later...