Things I've found on the trail

Sp!ke

I keep finding abandoned Spanish houses in the hills around Ainsa. There's even an abandoned vilage or two.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chameleon, something I haven't seen for years.

A vervet monkey who tried to grab my water bottle from my bikes bottle cage.

T

Two things which gave me my biggest fright; Geelslang, cape cobra, on our local Two River trail in Bothaville, and once while doing a night ride on my farm I heard a rattling sound in the dark next to me. Shining my headlamp towards the left there was the biggest porcupine you can imagine running alangside and shaking its quills at me!

A murder victim.

Was not pleasant.

Were you jogging at the time? I've read somewhere not to trust joggers as they are the ones who always "coincidentally" find the dead bodies......

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I once picked up a hundred rand note on a trail in the middle of f@cking nowhere. Except for an event held in the area I expect maybe 5 people to go through there during the year.

This trail has a sh@tload of climbing and I took this as a reward for peddling the whole route without pushing once for the first time.

The typical, multi-tools, tyre levers, samurai swords, bar plugs, CO2 cannisters, water bottles, discarded tubes, sweets, energy bars, GU's

In jonkers - a guy laying wrapped a round a tree - wrist broken, both bones snapped clean off, hand hanging limp, keeping himself awake waiting for a friend to get a car in to fetch him

Jonkers also - cape cobra that got upset with me getting too close and went into strike mode - I made myself scarce quickly

Wildlife; Baboons, Lynx, small bucks, loads of snakes (puff adders, cape cobra, molslange, skaapstekers ens)

Loads of random dumpsites, from building rubble to medical waste in places you would not expect people would drive to, to dump stuff

Ambulance ... but only after I crashed ... it was a bumpy ride ... morphine helped  :thumbup:

You lucky, somehow I missed the ambulance ride. I got chauffeured by a good Samaritan...

Must have had plenty Morphine since I do not recall any pain. For that matter I don't recall the crash either.

Ah we have gone all wild have we:

Rhino - riding in the bush on a hunting farm near Messina - dropped into a river bed going fast and nearly rode in to the side of mommy and calf. Ran away screaming like a girl to the trees on the other side

A Rooikat - riding in the mists up near Lydenburg (Calverton). Shot out of a bush next to me. THought it was  a Leopard. Rode away screaming like a girl, much to the amusement of the guy fly fishing in the dam across the way. He nearly dropped his rod he was laughing so much. I was shaking I was so scared. Nearly made the back tire smoke I pedaled so hard.

Diced Giraffe on the above garm farm in Messina - man they are fast - 40 + kmh through the bush.

Diced Rooi Hartebees in the cradle on one of those old MTB races - man they are also fast - pulled away from us on a downhill.

Snakes aplenty - Puffies, Rinkhals, Leguvaan all on local trails in and around Cradle and in Lonehill.

THese are the good ones. Found some pretty crazy things as well - what looked like a murder scene there was so much blood etc on the ground.. But those are not the nice ones...

At Tokai, a massive baboon leaning back against a stump pleasuring himself.

And that was years ago and still the first thing that came to mind. :eek:

A friend of mine once rode into a whole "trop" of baboons in the Jonkersberg plantations close to George, he said that never in his life did he make such a quick 180' turn and rode the "sewe soorte wit waks" out of his bicycle like that day

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Yip, It's not a good feeling. I was bombing down a trail in the Berg when I come across a lone male Baboon in the middle of the trail, I think ok I got this so I keep going flat out he sees me and now a game of Chicken has started and who will give in first. Well he eventually jumps out the way with a few meters to spare and I think oh ja I won, then I go round a blind corner a few meters later and there is the rest of the troop. About 20 odd Baboons in front of me and one pissed off one behind me, I had eyes the size of dinner plates and started muttering a few religious verses to myself as I passed straight through the middle of the troop within touching distance.  

All this talk about baboons... I came around a corner once and had a whole troop of baboons in the road in front of me. They all got the fright of their life, must've thought I was a leopard or something attacking them. So they bolted, straight down the road. So I thought it would be funny to chase them as hard as I can... Shame there was one little oke who couldn't keep up with the rest so he dived for the side of the road, but it was more of a trip, tuck and roll than anything else. Luckily the rest didn't turn around to help him cause he was screaming blue murder

Some of you okes have had some amazing sightings! I've never seen a rooikat in the wild..  :(

Also some scary incidents too! Finding a body must've been hectic

All this talk about baboons... I came around a corner once and had a whole troop of baboons in the road in front of me. They all got the fright of their life, must've thought I was a leopard or something attacking them. So they bolted, straight down the road. So I thought it would be funny to chase them as hard as I can... Shame there was one little oke who couldn't keep up with the rest so he dived for the side of the road, but it was more of a trip, tuck and roll than anything else. Luckily the rest didn't turn around to help him cause he was screaming blue murder

Some of you okes have had some amazing sightings! I've never seen a rooikat in the wild..  :(

Also some scary incidents too! Finding a body must've been hectic

Neither did i see the Rooikat - I was mostly busy escaping the small leopard that was attacking me.  :mellow:

Only saw him from behind...

I just love riding in the bush and have had the opportunity many times on an out of season game farm up in Messina that we hire. They now stopped the hunting and just breed. Seen Buffalo, Rhino, Giraffe, Eland, Nyala and many other very interesting things on that farm - all on a bicycle. They dont expect you to be on a bike so you get much closer. Its a pretty special experience.

Were you jogging at the time? I've read somewhere not to trust joggers as they are the ones who always "coincidentally" find the dead bodies......

Joggers and Jessica Fletcher...someone was always murdered when she was around...

post-1604-0-71064500-1467619909_thumb.jpg

I was nearly the first Buck Norris as I've been charged by a herd of Blessbok.

Chased by countless dogs.

Also ran into 3 wild pigs in the dark while flying down a forestry road at 5am, my light just caught the one on the side and it made a 44 gallon drum look small. Next thing there 3 of them running down the road around me. I had to check my HR graph when I got home as well as my bibs, HR jumped 40bpm in 1 second.

Also seen plenty bush buck, zebra, wildebeest, impala, springbok, snakes,

Seen the odd: rhino, rooikat, mongoose, porcupine, Eland once within 10 meters damn they are huge,  ridden next to a giraffe.

post-40232-0-42771400-1467624649_thumb.jpeg

Archived